+ Reply to Thread
Page 185 of 261 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 195 235 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,625 of 6519

Re: 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

Visits to mound by catcher need to be curtailed.

I'd like to see the manager have to decide immediately if the are going to challenge.
    Waiting for someone in another area to watch a replay and then tell manager is stupid.
    If the ump missed a call then the manager should be able to determine that right away.

They don't want tech in dugout, but you can have a guy in next room watch the replay and relay the message?

Time limit on the replay review? Yes!

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    I don't know that I'd get that crazy, but I'd like to see them get pretty extreme with this. It is a serious problem. All these pitchers/batters walking around, getting dressed after every pitch, all the meetings is exhausting and totally counterproductive.

Batter cannot step out at all. I'd like to see them make it an automatic out, but I do realize that people need to sneeze or get something in their eye, etc. Ump should basically never grant time though.

No runner's on: 15 seconds. This gives you enough time to get the ball, get on the rubber, get a sign and throw the ball.

Runner's on: 30 seconds. You get an extra 5 seconds if you throw over. Treat it like the shot clock in the NBA. You take too long, runner gets a great jump. Too bad. Should've thrown the ball faster. Would make the running game way more interesting.

You could also limit pitching changes in an inning etc. I also think the between innings stuff is garbage. You do not need 8 pitchers before each inning or especially after coming in from the bullpen. Allow them like 90 seconds between innings. Run to your position, get on the mound and throw the ball. This will never happen due to the commercials/TV revenue.

Extreme I know, but 4 hour baseball game's are totally unwatchable.
    I agree completely.
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

For me what drags the game out is the constant pitching changes. Teams work the count these days to an extreme and the starter is out by the 5th inning. And with 13 man pitching staffs they'll be 3-5 relievers used depending upon match-ups and game situation.

I don't know what can be done about that. The only thing I would suggest is actually calling the top of the strike zone as it should be called. It's pretty much a hitters' game these days with the strike zone.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

This is a matter of months, and counting. One veteran of the free-agent markets says that not only is this market operating at a historically slow pace, but that “second place isn’t even close.”

And, of course, you don’t have to tell that to the players who are waiting. And waiting. And waiting some more. It’s stars such as Yu Darvish, Eric Hosmer, Jake Arrieta and J.D. Martinez. But it’s everyone. There are still well north of 100 free agents still unemployed.

There are a lot of factors, and theories, as to what slowed the market. Really, it never started, except mainly for relievers. Some agents are scarce now. It’s not that they aren’t busy; they are. But it’s not to sign players, but to explain to players what’s going on, or at least theorize about it.
    https://www.fanragsports.com/inside-...n-slow-market/

NYYF Legend

No one I think has mentioned this. But it might be the fact teams think it's an uneventful playing field. The top 5 teams are so ahead. The best chance is to be bad and draft. What's JD or Darvish do on a 70 win team?
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN Jan 18
    Some experienced agents strongly believe this: slow-moving market is not because of collusion; rather, the issue of tanking--the growing number of teams choosing to not participate in competition for players and wins--was not addressed. $ pocketed by teams, and not spent.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

The second WC is also hosing things here. Mozeliak, just the other day, boasted about his team being a ~90 win club. There's no urgency to make that FA splash in order to pry away a few extra wins when you know there's a good chance you're getting in if your team is even built semi competitively.
    Last edited by teknetic; 01-20-18 at 05:23 PM.

NYYF Legend

Plus, Boras is repping a lot of the FA’s this year, and his usual go-to move of bypassing the GM and going straight to ownership doesn’t work anymore, now that many of those owners have passed away
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    There may be a problem with the term "average age". I'm not a math expert, but understand that average and median are not the same number or represent the same thing. If they're saying there are as many over 57 year olds as there are under 57 year olds, I guess I can buy that, even though it's not a very good sign. But that wouldn't be the average age.
    average, median, mode, range... I understand them all. In a natural group of numbers, like the ages of a population, you would often have the median and average be fairly close so, yes, you would likely have about the same number of fans at either end of the bell curve with the high point supposedly at 57. I just don't buy it. Look at any crowd at any major league game and tell me you see as many people over 57 as under 57. Where did this statistic come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Some experienced agents strongly believe this: slow-moving market is not because of collusion; rather, the issue of tanking--the growing number of teams choosing to not participate in competition for players and wins--was not addressed. $ pocketed by teams, and not spent.
    I think it has too do more with the free agents being good but not elite. Yet these free agents want to be paid like elite.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    I think it has too do more with the free agents being good but not elite. Yet these free agents want to be paid like elite.
    Yes! I completely agree with this. Just because these players are the best on the market, doesn't mean they should be paid like they're the best in baseball. And I'm all for players making as much money as possible (they certainly deserve it more than ownership)... but some of the numbers being thrown around (200 mil for JD Martinez) are completely ridiculous and unrealistic.

NYYF Legend

I think you're right. It's re-defining what an "average" ballplayer is.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Slow market seems pretty explainable to me: this year's batch of free agents is meh, next year is stacked. why look any deeper than that?

Free Agency does work like that! Yet, if Clubs don't get into a biding war, some Judge will say its collusion!
    People don't start playing ball at your age, they retire!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by AllRise View Post
    why look any deeper than that?
    Not much else to look at. Really interested in seeing the Yanks address their needs at 3 or 4 different spots on the roster with only a month until camp opens up.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by AllRise View Post
    average, median, mode, range... I understand them all. In a natural group of numbers, like the ages of a population, you would often have the median and average be fairly close so, yes, you would likely have about the same number of fans at either end of the bell curve with the high point supposedly at 57. I just don't buy it. Look at any crowd at any major league game and tell me you see as many people over 57 as under 57. Where did this statistic come from?
    No idea where that stat comes from, nor do I know whether or not it's accurate. You may be right in your skepticism. But I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are as many fans over that age as under, whether they show up at ballparks or not, and would indeed consider it a troubling sign.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Buster Olney on Cashman, Epstein, and Freidman and their goal of efficiency and it's impact on the free agency market.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olne...n-and-friedman

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    Buster Olney on Cashman, Epstein, and Freidman and their goal of efficiency and it's impact on the free agency market.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olne...n-and-friedman
    I found this interesting. I would love to know the behind the scenes arguments about signing Ellsbury. Once that happened, most fans knew he was overpaid.

but Cashman pushed for the signing of outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, who is now dead weight on the New York roster with three years remaining on his deal.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

This screams salary cap and/or spending floor.

NYYF Legend

I found this interesting. I would love to know the behind the scenes arguments about signing Ellsbury. Once that happened, most fans knew he was overpaid.
    Cashman was bitter about Robbie hiring Jay-Z as an agent and wanted to stick it to him
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Jerry Crasnick @jcrasnick 49m49 minutes ago
    Hearing some buzz that the #Brewers are getting close to a trade. No more details at present, but they’ve been discussing outfielders with multiple clubs.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Hearing some buzz that the #Brewers are getting close to a trade. No more details at present, but they’ve been discussing outfielders with multiple clubs.
    That’s some real in-depth reporting by Crasnick. You’d think he’d wait to gather a little
    More info before breaking that.

Quote Originally Posted by sfischer89 View Post
    That’s some real in-depth reporting by Crasnick. You’d think he’d wait to gather a little
    More info before breaking that.
    Agree, just shows how desperate these guys are for anything to talk about.

I hear the sun will come up tomorrow, no more details at present.

https://twitter.com/barstoolhubbs/st...22764696276994

"A little birdy told me Jacoby Ellsbury is heading to Milwaukee. Nothing definitive yet, but keep your ears peeled. I'll believe anything at this point"

absolutely no idea if this guy is credible or not, but......

Thread Information