+ Reply to Thread
Page 224 of 261 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 234 ... LastLast
Results 5,576 to 5,600 of 6519

Re: 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I think the only time home/road splits should be concerning when evaluating Colorado players is if the player sucks on the road. Both pitchers and hitters are naturally going to be affected by playing in Coors one way or another. Arenado is still a great player on the road. Sure his stats are padded a bit due to Coors but it’s not like the guy can’t hit in other ballparks.
    He doesnt suck on the road, but he isnt great either.

Home - 1523 PAs - .314 BA, 85 HRs, 17 3Bs, 314 RBIs, 205Ks, .958 OPS
    Away - 1499 PAs - .266 BA, 63 HRs, 6 3Bs, 192 RBIs, 244Ks, .790 OPS

Big difference.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Id rank the AL like this:

1-Astros
    2-Yankees
    3-Indians
    4-Red Sox
    5-Angels
    That's exactly how I'd rank it too..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Regarding the latter, an especially big concern was how much more often Frazier struck out (30.3 K%) than he walked (4.9 BB%). Getting him to swing and miss was often as simple as throwing him a fastball up or a breaking ball away:

Image courtesy of BaseballSavant.MLB.com.

Obviously, this isn't a bat-speed problem. Nor is it a plate-discipline problem, as Frazier swung outside the strike zone less often than the average hitter.

It's more so a timing problem. In this case, one related to the many moving parts in his swing (e.g. his leg kick and active hands) mechanics and a tendency to downplay his lower half.
    To his credit, Frazier showed a willingness to listen to feedback and to try to adjust accordingly. According to MLB.com's Matthew Martell, he was quick to take pointers from Yankees hitting coaches Alan Cockrell and Marcus Thames. Per Billy Witz of the New York Times, he also went to video of Adam Jones and Jose Bautista for inspiration.

On the work went this offseason. Frazier told Dan Martin of the New York Post that he spent the winter working on his mobility, flexibility and strength, and now has the idea in mind to adjust his swing so his bat stays in the zone longer.

“I think I’ll surprise some people when spring [training] starts,” Frazier said. “I did a lot of work this offseason, and I’ll show I’m ready to contribute to this team if given the opportunity.”
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tar-to-castoff
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Frazier continues to be his own biggest fan.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Shotgun!
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Did I miss it or is JD Martinez still unsigned?

If so, that is really surprising. I just hope the Red Sox don't snag him.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Did I miss it or is JD Martinez still unsigned?

If so, that is really surprising. I just hope the Red Sox don't snag him.
    He is still unsigned. It would be shocking if he is not either a Red Sox or Diamondback by March 1 in my opinion.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I can't hear that name and not think of Smokin' Joe and that devastating left-hook he dropped on Ali.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLWYnTFz9PE

If I live to be a thousand I'll never understand how Ali got up at all, not to mention so quickly.

That punch would have killed most people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4-Abd89ck
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

I wonder how the rest of the Angels SP's feel about having to pitch every sixth day because of a guy who never played a single game in MLB?

There has to be some resentment. Granted, if he throws like an ace they will learn to accept it, but if he doesn't, there's gonna be a lot of pissed off starting pitchers on the Angels.

There's gonna be a lot of pissed off hitters on the bench too if he doesn't rake as the DH

If he lives up to expectations like Matsui and Ichiro, they'll learn to love him, but if he flops this thing could get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    He is still unsigned. It would be shocking if he is not either a Red Sox or Diamondback by March 1 in my opinion.
    Shocking that he's still out there. I know this was a subpar FA crop, to put it mildly, so I wasn't surprised that a lot of guys went unsigned, but this dude is big-time. He must be asking for a fortune and too much length, but I hope he goes back to Arizona. I just don't want to see him in Boston. He would make their lineup a lot more dangerous.

NYYF Legend

Ideally Frazier blows up in ST and we leverage that to trade for SP depth. Either Fulmer or a bomb AAA prospect.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post

Ideally Frazier blows up in ST and we leverage that to trade for SP depth. Either Fulmer or a bomb AAA prospect.
    Great Point. I hope so too, cause if he can net us a top of the rotation starter, a 1 or 2, someone like Fulmer, IMO that makes us the legitimate favorites to win it all. Right now I still have Houston as the favorites, but I'd make us the favorites if a package topped by Frazier can net us a Fulmer or Archer.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Shocking that he's still out there. I know this was a subpar FA crop, to put it mildly, so I wasn't surprised that a lot of guys went unsigned, but this dude is big-time. He must be asking for a fortune and too much length, but I hope he goes back to Arizona. I just don't want to see him in Boston. He would make their lineup a lot more dangerous.
    I think 3 things have worked against him-
    -He wants way move that he's worth
    -Very few of the big market teams are in the market for a poor defensive corner OF/DH
    -Many teams are trying to reset lux tax numbers. If this wasn't the case I'd think he'd have been an SF giant on a 6 year deal months ago.

Whether you or I ultimately want him in Boston or not, it seems to be the place where he'll get the most money and ultimately land even if it is for fewer years and dollars than Borass thinks he should get.

I mean unless he decides he really likes AZ and they find some creative solution to bring him back or the owner decides to blow his own budget.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

FWIW-not much but interesting nonetheless

Article on a proposed Machado to Yanks deal by Rosenthal:

https://theathletic.com/240422/2018/...o-in-new-york/

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    FWIW-not much but interesting nonetheless

Article on a proposed Machado to Yanks deal by Rosenthal:

https://theathletic.com/240422/2018/...o-in-new-york/
    Summary? It requires a subscription.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Summary? It requires a subscription.
    It’s a proposed 3 way deal that has been “kicked around”...

— The New York Yankees acquire right-hander Jake Odorizzi from the Tampa Bay Rays for mid-level prospects.

— The Yankees then package Odorizzi with outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury and a prospect for Baltimore Orioles infielder Manny Machado.

— The prospect going to the Orioles would be a good one, most likely third baseman Miguel Andujar. And the Yankees would pay approximately half of the $68.4 million remaining in the final three years on Ellsbury’s deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkdaman1818 View Post
    Has there ever been a three team deal with all three teams in the same division?
    Let's Go Yankees!

NYYF Legend

I've been trying to process this for about 5 minutes.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Makes no sense for Os.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Don't hurt yourself - Rosenthal completely made up the trade, it's never been discussed by any team.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    To be honest, I don’t know why Odorizzi would be more attractive to the orioles than someone like Montgomery or chance adams. If anything, I feel like we’d include Montgomery or adams in a machado deal, and then acquire Odorizzi for ourselves.

Don't hurt yourself - Rosenthal completely made up the trade, it's never been discussed by any team.
    He stated it had been kicked around by the teams - here’s the beginning of his article:

Let’s start with multiple disclaimers. The trade scenario I am about to discuss is no more than a concept and, as far as I know, it is not currently under serious discussion. The teams kicked around the idea, according to a major-league source, but even if they could agree on the particulars – which is doubtful — the deal remains highly unlikely to happen.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

He stated it had been kicked around by the teams - here’s the beginning of his article:
    This situation is what I hate about these hype reports. The trade has a zero percent chance of happening (and he does disclaim it to death), but it gets published anyway.

He might as well put a conditional, tentative, provisional maybe title on the article.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Makes no sense for Os.
    Makes no sense for us, either. The Os wouldn't do it. Tired of Manny and Mike reports, discussions, rumors, ideas. I want to see what Andujar does at 3rd. (Manny is going to be a FA next year and will get a huge contract) and we lose Andujar.

That’s a horrible proposed deal. Message board quality idea.

Thread Information