+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Calls a tool a tool

2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

The summer made glorious by the sons of (New) York comes to an end. So now begins the winter of our discontent. What should we do?

Sign JD Martinez
    Buy out Tanaka's opt out
    Sign Otani
    Replace Romine

call it a day.

Re: Offseason Thread

Too soon man

NYYF Legend

I just never want to see Castro or Romine in a Yankee uniform again.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I just never want to see Castro or Romine in a Yankee uniform again.
    Couldn't agree more.

• Trade Clint/Adams/+ for an impact cost-controlled player. No idea who. Florial and potentially Harper makes Frazier expendable somewhat. Sheffield and Abreu have more upside than Adams anyways.
    • Castro is owed $22M over the next three years. Trade while value is still somewhat high (All-Star appearance). Horrible defender with terrible plate discipline, both skills which aren't likely to improve. He's a ~2 win player at peak value probably.
    • Dangle one year deals to CC/Frazier and see if they bite.
    • Re-sign Tanaka if he opts out -- $100-120M is a bargain for an under 30 #2 type.
    • Trade for Jose Abreu as a DH (significantly less money than JD) potentially similar numbers; should cost marginal prospects.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    • Trade Clint/Adams/+ for an impact cost-controlled player. No idea who. Florial and potentially Harper makes Frazier expendable somewhat. Sheffield and Abreu have more upside than Adams anyways.
    • Castro is owed $22M over the next three years. Trade while value is still somewhat high (All-Star appearance). Horrible defender, terrible plate approach, both skills which aren't likely to improve. He's a ~2 win player at peak value probably.
    • Re-sign Tanaka if he opts out -- $100-120M is a bargain for an under 30 #2 type.
    • Trade for Jose Abreu as a DH (significantly less money than JD); should cost marginal prospects.
    Great ideas..... especially this early into it.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

• Castro is owed $22M over the next three years. Trade while value is still somewhat high (All-Star appearance). Horrible defender with terrible plate discipline, both skills which aren't likely to improve. He's a ~2 win player at peak value probably.
    • Trade for Jose Abreu as a DH (significantly less money than JD); should cost marginal prospects.
    For your first point, are you talking SP? Or potentially a position player? I don't really see trading for a position player with replacements for 2nd/3rd/OF waiting in the wings.

-Deal Castro
    -Do not re-sign Todd Frazier
    -CC back on a 1 year deal
    -Headley back at 3rd until Andujar's defense is decent enough
    -Tanaka back but no crazy extension please. Something reasonable for both sides
    -Do not re-sign Holliday
    -Try to trade Ellsbury
    -Gardner trade. I like him but he wears down easily. He gutted it out but his bat looked pretty slow in the playoffs. Also he becomes a 10/5 next year. And you won't be able to deal him.
    It's a tough decision

NYYF Legend

Castro def needs to go...stopgap Wade until Torres is ready

They're getting under the tax, so they're not signing JD Martinez... Cashman is gonna have to get creative and make some trades to add impact, cost controlled bats and she's some salary (this, of course, assuming Cashman is back)
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Madison Bumgarner

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post

They're getting under the tax, so they're not signing JD Martinez... Cashman is gonna have to get creative and make some trades to add impact, cost controlled bats and she's some salary (this, of course, assuming Cashman is back)
    I'd say Cashman is probably as "safe" as he has been for years....
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

If we are going to bring Tanaka back, we have to extend him before he opts out. Reason being that it will be hard to find someone to insure a new contract. The original contract should have him insured for the next three years.
    Let's Go Yankees!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post

Trading Castro could achieve this goal. He's not the worst player in the league. But 2B would be the easiest position to get an upgrade and lower the payroll at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Nope, no thanks. I won't stomach seeing Headley back.

- Offer a 1 year to CC and Todd. Nothing more for either.
    - Try and move Castro, see who bites.
    - I'll help eat Ellsbury's $ if it gets him off the team.
    - Holliday was a fail at DH. Good try but didn't work out, he won't be back.
    - I think Gardner is a goner too. Won't be surprised if he's kept though.

-Deal Castro
    -Do not re-sign Holliday
    -Try to trade Ellsbury
    -Gardner trade. I like him but he wears down easily. He gutted it out but his bat looked pretty slow in the playoffs. Also he becomes a 10/5 next year. And you won't be able to deal him.
    It's a tough decision
    Good starting point, plus one or more of the relievers will have to go as Green and to a lesser extent Kahnle have moved up in the pecking order. This team must get some hitters at 2nd, 3rd and an outfield spot. I would even miss on Harper to fill these needs. If Torres and Andujar are the answers at 2nd and 3rd then sure we're playing with house money and Harper is back in play. We did not win our rings in the 90s with high strikeout home run hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Good starting point, plus one or more of the relievers will have to go as Green and to a lesser extent Kahnle have moved up in the pecking order. This team must get some hitters at 2nd, 3rd and an outfield spot. I would even miss on Harper to fill these needs. If Torres and Andujar are the answers at 2nd and 3rd then sure we're playing with house money and Harper is back in play. We did not win our rings in the 90s with high strikeout home run hitters.
    Why? Why not bring back the entire bullpen?

-Deal Castro
    -Do not re-sign Holliday
    -Try to trade Ellsbury
    It's a tough decision

Adding,

-Trade Betances
    -Chance Adams to the pen during the season
    -Ohtani if he decides to come over

Ohtani fits the needs of this team so well as a full time DH and part of the rotation. I really hope it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    For your first point, are you talking SP? Or potentially a position player? I don't really see trading for a position player with replacements for 2nd/3rd/OF waiting in the wings.
    I'd take a cost controlled bat over a pitcher most times. Like, if given the choice between a Yelich or a Fulmer, I'd probably go with the former. But I don't really know what's out there.

• Trade for Jose Abreu as a DH (significantly less money than JD) potentially similar numbers; should cost marginal prospects.
    Some good ideas here. Personally I liked what I saw from Clint. He's got a quick bat and I'd be hesitant to trade him. I want to see him in LF next year over Gardy. He's been a great yankee but time to move on. Couldnt agree more with dumping Castro. I hate his approach at the plate flails at everything and he's just one of those guys who puts up decent numbers but just isnt a very good baseball player. I feel anything he does good is just pure dumb luck. I like the Abreu idea he's a guy whose got really good power and most importantly is a very solid .280 hitter with a K rate under 20% which is what this lineup really needs badly in order to balance out the Ks from other parts of the lineup. With Abreu as long as the asking price is reasonable I'd be really interested. One year to Todd is what I'd do too. But I doubt he would take it and to be honest as much as I like the guy and his defense his hitting approach -high K rate empty BA isn't really what this team needs. First thing this team should do is look to balance the lineup out with hitters who K less. This really transformed the stros. They went from a lineup that was one of the highest K rates last year to one of the lowest this year and instantly improved their offense tremendously. They replaced boom/busters like Rasmus and Valbuena with guys like Gurriel and Reddick.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    The summer made glorious by the sons of (New) York comes to an end. So now begins the winter of our discontent. What should we do?

Sign JD Martinez
    Buy out Tanaka's opt out
    Sign Otani
    Replace Romine

call it a day.
    Beautiful Shakespeare riff! I just saw Richard III last weekend!

Don't necessarily agree with your agenda, but I like your style!

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Beautiful Shakespeare riff! I just saw Richard III last weekend!

Don't necessarily agree with your agenda, but I like your style!
    I knew either you or 25-3 would get it. And what's wrong with my agenda????????????

NYYF Legend

It's silly to even discuss Bumgarner. The yanks are getting under the cap. It's not happening.

They gotta try to move Ells somehow and take a look at 2nd base. Alot of the pieces are in place or getting ready in the minors. It's way more exciting than watching an old team get older year after year.

The Yankees are going to have an elite offense and relief pitching by staying pat, so virtually all of the focus should be on starting pitching. Hopefully CC comes back on a reasonable deal. Both Cobb and Darvish should be potential targets. See if you can get a top pitcher for Gleyber, and they should be open to trading Clint and Chance too. As already mentioned they should see if Bumgarner is available, and check with the Cardinals about Michael Wacha and Carlos Martinez.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    The Yankees are going to have an elite offense and relief pitching by staying pat, so virtually all of the focus should be on starting pitching. Hopefully CC comes back on a reasonable deal. Both Cobb and Darvish should be potential targets. See if you can get a top pitcher for Gleyber, and they should be open to trading Clint and Chance too. As already mentioned they should see if Bumgarner is available, and check with the Cardinals about Michael Wacha and Carlos Martinez.
    I'd find it very hard to trade Torres. He's about as close to a sure thing a prospect can be.

But I am definitely open to packaging any other prospects for an elite SP.

Thread Information