+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 44 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

If the Yankees do sign Otani they must allow standard minor league options into his contract as a "just in case". I know it's a sticking point with some Asian and Cuban players that come over as older players.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

There's no major league option with the new CBA. You can only agree to a minor league contract, hence the cap.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/r...ncarlo_stanton

A baseball source said yesterday that he’s been told Stanton will not accept a trade to either the Red Sox or the Cardinals, another team linked early and often in trade rumors. Perhaps there’s some flexibility in that stance, but Stanton’s preference is a factor.

“We have to be careful at some point,” president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said. “We’ve traded a lot of young guys. We’re trying to rebuild our system a little bit at the same time the last couple of years with our draft picks. I think we’ve started that process pretty well. We do have some guys that are close. … But you have to be careful in that regard, and I do think that we have a lot of good players already, that are really good, that you’re trying to supplement or complement and find the right guys. I’m not really looking to trade a bunch of young guys. Now, could we? Perhaps. Again, I can’t tell you that we won’t.”

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Interesting. You're the first one I've heard say that. Anywhere. Maybe I've not read widely enough.
    Especially as far as his hitting ability. While there have been several pitchers from Japan who have excelled here can really only think of two hitters who came from Japan and were excellent here. Suzuki and Matsui.

Yogi Buck

Yes, I do want to give the spot to a rookie unless they can get someone who is overwhelmingly better. They have talent within the organization. They need to move it forward.

BTW, Ohtani would be a rookie.
    I'm a big believer in buying aces, developing 5's/relievers (who hopefully turn into an ace). Aces are just to hard to come by (what 15 total) to expect the team to develop enough.

Severino was the 5th starter not long ago and then matured into the ace. That is optimal but rarely realistic. I hope we have a Chance of that occurring again. Or Sheffield.

You can never have enough aces. Go get Yu Darvish or Jake Arrieta (I know he would cost a lot) and/or Ohtani. I would normally not want to give up so much for Arrieta prospects wise, but the Yanks are an ace away from being REAALLLYY GOOOODDD.

two of those guys you can put at the top of the rotation, Ohtani you put at number 5 and see what you got.

Short of any of those guys, you go with one of the rooks in the 5th slot. Especially early on when the schedule has gaps in it.

You probably aren't going to win a title with Severino, Tanaka, Gray and Montgomery. And say CC/one of the rooks. You really need someone to stand up in front of that rotation, than all of a sudden it becomes maybe the best rotation in baseball.

Don't spend 10-$15 million on some schlub, pay the $22-25 million and get it done right.

Maybe you don't make this decision last year, with such a young team. But in my mind this team is ready to contend now. And as others have said, injuries will happen and open up a spot for at least a handful of prospects.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

NYYF Legend

So what do you do with your young pitchers? Never bring them up?

The Yankees went a long time trying to buy pitching. It worked for a while in the '90's, but it hasn't worked before that in the '80's and stopped working after that in the 2000's. The result was postseason losses due to pitching that wasn't up to the job, or failing even to get to the postseason in the '80's.

The Yankees now have the depth of prospects within the organization such that if one young pitcher struggles in his development, they have others behind him who,will be ready to take his place.
    They are bringing it up and developing in. See Severino & Montgomery,

If Adams wins the 5th starter job in spring like Montgomery did last year, I have no problem with him pushing whatever vet they signed to fill the 5th starter roll to the swing man roll in the pen. Otherwise I'd prefer him to be insurance against the first injury or regression from Montgomery.

Unlike others I'm also cool with bringing up a MiLB starter to work out of the MLB pen and then move him to rotation when warranted. Doesn't fit every situation, but it does fit some.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Meanwhile no one's bothered by the fact that Otani has never pitched more innings in a season that Adams has. Or that Otani missed most of this season with an ankle injury requiring postseason surgery.
    Sure I have concerns. But what's wrong with wanting both?
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    Don't spend 10-$15 million on some schlub, pay the $22-25 million and get it done right.
    The problem is the schlub can probably be had on a 1 or 2 year deal while the "ace" will require a 5 to 7 year deal.

The commitment level is somewhat different in both cases.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Sure I have concerns. But what's wrong with wanting both?
    Nothing in particular. I'm just making the comparison with Otani who's the same age as Adams and equally unproven in MLB, yet everyone just assumes he'll be a star.

NYYF Legend

Nothing in particular. I'm just making the comparison with Otani who's the same age as Adams and equally unproven in MLB, yet everyone just assumes he'll be a star.
    I'm just going by what he has done in Japan and the scouting reports.

I would love Adams to blossom and continue to get better. It would seem scouts have a few more questions about Adams than Otani. Though scouts aren't always right.

Also Otani has thrown over 500 IP in the JPPL which has a higher level of competition than AAA where Adams has throw just 115 IP.

I';m not saying Adams won't be successful, I just don't want to bet the Yankee season on him being the next breakout pitcher.

It's simply a difference in philosophy. Mind you I'm not advocating shipping Adams out for a back of the rotation innings eater. Rather I'm more advocating bringing in a vet to hold down the back of the rotation until Adams gabs the spot by the throat and doesn't let it go.
    Baseball is life;

Inside Baseball‏
    @InsideBaseball6
    1m1 minute ago
    More
    Report from http://MLB.com indicates that #Giants OF prospect Heliot Ramos is part of a package offered to the #Marlins for OF Giancarlo Stanton.

What prospect in Yankees system compare to Heliot Ramos? Florial or Jake Cave?

Prediction, what date Stanton will be traded? Nov 20 when 40 man roster set. Chance Adams,Frazier, Austin and Heller and Mitchell

Heyman | Giants and Cards favorites but many want Stanton
    https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-...-want-stanton/
    “Stay tuned,” an executive with another team said. “They are serious about moving this deal.”

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Prediction, what date Stanton will be traded? Nov 20 when 40 man roster set. Chance Adams,Frazier, Austin and Heller and Mitchell

Heyman | Giants and Cards favorites but many want Stanton
    https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-...-want-stanton/
    “Stay tuned,” an executive with another team said. “They are serious about moving this deal.”
    The Marlins are thought to most prefer pitchers back in return, but Marlins people are open to any sort of talent, as they want to bolster an overall depth issue – and cut expense.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Inside Baseball‏
    @InsideBaseball6
    1m1 minute ago
    More
    Report from http://MLB.com indicates that #Giants OF prospect Heliot Ramos is part of a package offered to the #Marlins for OF Giancarlo Stanton.

What prospect in Yankees system compare to Heliot Ramos? Florial or Jake Cave?
    Ramos was the Giants 1st round pick this past draft and he put up huge numbers in rookie ball at 17.

Much more of a Florial than a Cave.

J ohn Shea‏Verified account
    @JohnSheaHey
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    Giants’ Bobby Evans, Marlins’ Michael Hill walk together through lobby. In related news, Giancarlo Stanton hits a lot of home runs.
    Taylor Wirth‏
    @taylorwirth123
    55m55 minutes ago
    More
    Bob Nightengale just tripled down on Stanton to #SFGiants on KNBR.

NYYF Legend

I would much rather see Stanton go to the Giants than the Red Sox.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Good. Keep him out of Boston.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Pete Abraham‏Verified account
    @PeteAbe
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    The notion that the #RedSox will end up with Hosmer, Martinez or Stanton is starring to appear unfounded. Bigger expenditure could be extending a player or two already on the roster.

BrianCa$hman
    3:42 Stanton already said NO to Boston and STL........and SFG is a long shot. LA doesnt need him.......sooooooooooooooooo
    Steve Adams
    3:44 Stanton hasn't said no to either of those places. There are going to be dozens of reports on where he'd be OK with going. Since that report came out, there's already been another suggesting Stanton has a wide open mindset. Both are from very solid, credible reporters, which just suggests to me that Stanton probably doesn't know how to feel since this is all new, and there are varying interpretations of his prefernces.

I wouldn't put the Yankees on a list of the five most likely teams to acquire Stanton unless they can find a way to dump Ellsbury. Even then, it's not a perfect fit

When talking about a potential Stanton deal, Hill wasn't very forthcoming in offering deals:

http://www.weei.com/blogs/rob-bradfo...hockingly-high

Stanton no-trade, how hard of an obstacle is that in doing anything with him?

I think it’s just part of the process. We’ll see where things go with that. Ultimately, if something were to happen, he has full no-trade protection.

Any indication of who he’d accept to?

I’m not getting into particulars with him, but if the appropriate time, if it happens, it’s something we would discuss.

Not keep him updated? Go to him when more finality?

With the whole trade process, there’s rumors out there, and there’s a lot of them. I didn’t speak to the media until last week and he’s been traded 15 million times. We work internally. We do what we need to do. If we need to present him with something, we’ll do so at the appropriate time.

Later rather than sooner?

I wouldn’t say that.

No sense in generalities of where he'd be willing to go?

I didn’t say that.

So you do have a sense?

I do have a sense, and we’ll keep that internal. At the appropriate time, we’ll discuss whatever we need to discuss.

More about dollars or players? Sliding scale?

I’m not getting into particulars as it pertains to any of our players.

Erik Borland quotes Cashman as saying Green will work as a starter in ST and Torres will be given a chance to win the 3B job.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Erik Borland quotes Cashman as saying Green will work as a starter in ST and Torres will be given a chance to win the 3B job.
    I think both of those qualify as good news.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Green has 1 pitch. Will never work as a starter. Has to be for negotiations/leverage.

You can 3B Torres, but what do you do with Andj?
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Thread Information