+ Reply to Thread
Page 252 of 261 FirstFirst ... 152 202 242 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 ... LastLast
Results 6,276 to 6,300 of 6519
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    Iím still very confused but what I do know for sure is Arrieta cares very little about winning and took the money. Or he knew the Phillies werenít going to be winning, so he wanted a sweet money deal to get there. Either way, this is all about money.
    I donít blame him at all. This was his one opportunity in his entire career to set his family and future generations up for life.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I donít blame him at all. This was his one opportunity in his entire career to set his family and future generations up for life.
    This.

Plus, he already has a ring, so made the decision even easier. I'm sure he's aware the Phillies probably won't be contending for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Man, people crack me up criticizing athletes for maximizing their earnings potential when they'll do the same thing if they were presented that opportunity.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

NYYF Legend

Arrieta has already won a WS ring and a Cy Yong Award. He has little chance of being inducted to the HOF even if he plays for great team for the rest of his career. Going for the largest contract is a no brainer for him. I'm actually surprise that he comes out this well when you consider how cold this FA market is.

Not really equating where the two franchises are/were (or equating the two players, I'm not a big fan of future Arrieta), but that is exactly the critique that many had when NY resigned Chapman after 2016. Maybe this is one year early, but maybe his presence already in place helps them get 1-2 of the many impact FAs next winter, and maybe then they're at least a wild card contender in 2019.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/baseb...dding-war.html

Yusei Kikuchi - Japanese Kershaw with filthy slider? He be posted next year

http://yakyudb.com/2017/08/03/832017...n-tops-158kmh/

Before the hype train gets overly crazy again I'm just throwing my 2 cents and will say that Kikuchi is one of the top tier pitcher in NPB but not anywhere close to the top caliber in MLB. He is a level below with stuff, command, results, and popularity to the notable top tier Japanese pitchers currently already playing in MLB. For all the Ohtani overhype there was, keep in mind Kikuchi is a tier below him as a pitcher IN JAPAN, and if Darvish/Tanaka were still in Japan he will be no where near being a candidate for the best pitcher in NPB, and I won't be surprised if Kenta Maeda is better than him if they all played in Japan under the same circumstances right now.

If he is going to be posted but get paid a normal contract he isn't that interesting of a "prospect" compared to Ohtani, and as a side note due to the whole possibly jump to MLB skipping NPB act he was considering a few years ago ala Tazawa and Red Sox, he also has a bit of a blemish in the memories of long time NPB fans.
    Last edited by H.Kokubo; 03-12-18 at 12:38 PM.

Oakland signed Lucroy to a 1yr/6.5m deal. Wonder if Cash ever kicked the tires with his people?

NYYF Legend

Ok so if signing Walker is the last move, then here's a summary:

Yanks shed about $24M AAV by dealing Castro and Headley.

Yanks added NL MVP Stanton for $22M AAV and replaced Castro/Headley with Walker/Drury for $6M and a couple of replaceable prospects.

Let the games begin.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post

Yanks added NL MVP Stanton for $22M AAV and replaced Castro/Headley with Walker/Drury for $6M and a couple of replaceable prospects.

Let the games begin.
    We also replaced a $25M pitcher (CC Sabathia) with a $10M pitcher (still CC Sabathia).

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

And some guy named A-rod came off the books too.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post

Let the games begin.
    In this market, shedding those contracts was a miracle
    Last edited by 21stAmendment; 03-13-18 at 07:17 AM.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

NYYF Legend

All this talk of a slow moving off-season has made this one of the best off-season's for the Yankees.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

2. Atlanta Braves trade RHP Julio Teheran to the New York Yankees for OF Clint Frazier
    The Yankees have a solid rotation with Luis Severino, Masahiro Tanaka, Sonny Gray, CC Sabathia and Jordan Montgomery, but what they don't have is depth. Teheran has alternated good seasons with bad over the past four years, with 2017 being one of the bad ones. One thing the 27-year-old has had little problem with is providing innings, averaging 32 starts and 197 innings per year, and the Yankees could use that. Even better for the Yankees, although Teheran is owed $20 million over the next two seasons, his salary for tax purposes is roughly half that amount because of the average annual value of his deal.

The Braves have at least one more year to go before they contend, and they have a massive stash of pitching prospects who could get valuable experience in Teheran's spot in the rotation this year. Their current outfield should be Ender Inciarte, Nick Markakis and star prospect Ronald Acuna, but both Inciarte and Markakis are left-handers. The right-handed Frazier could see time initially platooning with Markakis -- who's in the last year of his $44 million contract -- before eventually taking over for him. Frazier struggled in his call-up last season, but his patient approach should work as he adjusts to the majors.

4. Yankees trade CF Jacoby Ellsbury to the Chicago Cubs for OF Jason Heyward and $36 million
    Ellsbury has roughly $68 million left on his contract, while the Cubs owe Heyward nearly twice that. Swapping players with the Cubs while picking up some of the financial difference would means the Yankees pick up a similarly valued player with a lower payroll tax number, while the Cubs get a similarly valued player without the long-term obligation.

Both players have no-trade clauses, but the change of scenery might appeal to both. Convincing Heyward he will receive ample playing time could be a tough sell, but Heyward can play all three outfield spots, and the Yankees already plan to rotate outfielders through the DH slot. Is such a deal likely? Probably not, but both clubs could benefit from it.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/stor...ee-opening-day

That Heyward idea is dumb AF. I like the Tehran idea if we can't use Frazier for something better (eg Fulmer).
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    That Heyward idea is dumb AF.
    Heh, I went to hit reply to say almost exactly this, but you beat me to it. What we really need is a pricier 5th outfielder, and contrary to what they say there, he has never played LF and has played CF for about 50 games.

NYYF MVP

That Heyward idea is dumb AF. I like the Tehran idea if we can't use Frazier for something better (eg Fulmer).
    Thinking that Frazier alone gets Teheran is honestly laughable. You're adding a top 100 guy at minimum to land him.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.

my blog: http://nybaseballoffice.blogspot.com

NYYF Legend

If the Yankees traded Frazier for Teheran my initial post would be about as close to one of your trade reactions as I'm capable with this regime.

Teheran is a low velocity, walk-prone, HR surrendering, NL pitcher trending in the wrong direction, with only two guaranteed years left on his deal. He's a brand name with some meaningless accolades (AS selections), but I want absolutely no part of him outside of some wish-fantasy that the Yankees can "fix" him like Drury, though it doesn't appear there's much to fix.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

I want no part of Teheran.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post
    Thinking that Frazier alone gets Teheran is honestly laughable. You're adding a top 100 guy at minimum to land him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    If the Yankees traded Frazier for Teheran my initial post would be about as close to one of your trade reactions as I'm capable with this regime.

Teheran is a low velocity, walk-prone, HR surrendering, NL pitcher trending in the wrong direction, with only two guaranteed years left on his deal. He's a brand name with some meaningless accolades (AS selections), but I want absolutely no part of him outside of some wish-fantasy that the Yankees can "fix" him like Drury, though it doesn't appear there's much to fix.
    Your reactions are pretty hilariously on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I was never really a big fan of Tehran before seeing the stats on his CMD which places him 2nd in baseball. He basically throws the baseball in spots that batters don't have much success with. He's certainly been a bit inconsistent in his career, but he has had very strong years peripheral wise (13', 14', 16').

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.co...hp?cid=2508782

Command (based on the ability of pitchers to wear out areas of the zone that tend to be the toughest on batters)
    https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...rated-pitcher/
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Your reactions are pretty hilariously on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I was never really a big fan of Tehran before seeing the stats on his CMD which places him 2nd in baseball. He basically throws the baseball in spots that batters don't have much success with. He's certainly been a bit inconsistent in his career, but he has had very strong years peripheral wise (13', 14', 16').

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.co...hp?cid=2508782

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...rated-pitcher/

That's interesting data. I like it.

My quick-take, initial glance, Devil's Advocate would be that the top of that list is populated with a whole bunch of "meh" pitchers that don't do a whole lot for me. The only guys in the top 20 that would have me excited about having on the Yankees in place of Montgomery this year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    That's interesting data. I like it.

My quick-take, initial glance, Devil's Advocate would be that the top of that list is populated with a whole bunch of "meh" pitchers that don't do a whole lot for me. The only guys in the top 20 that would have me excited about having on the Yankees in place of Montgomery this year.
    Take out Dickey because that data is stupid.

There's a few meh in there, but you also got Lester, Nola, Cole, Kershaw, Cobb, Verlander, Greinke in the top 15.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Take out Dickey because that data is probably stupid.

There's a few meh in there, but you also got Lester, Nola, Cole, Kershaw, Cobb, Verlander, Greinke in the top 15.
    The 2017 versions of Lester & Cole don't excite me. I'd rather roll with Monty at this point and hope he works out. I'd also much rather trade Frazier for a AA/AAA starter if they're going that route. Guys like Cole and Teheran are almost like reclamation projects in my mind, and with limited control left - I don't like trading 6 years of a likely above-average regular OF for that type of return.

NYYF Legend

To give an example of the opinion I'm trying to communicate: Even though it doesn't make a lot of logical sense because of PIT needs, I'd centerpiece Clint for Glasnow 10 times out of 10 over Teheran, even though the former hasn't even proven he'll be able to pitch in the Majors and the latter is an established ML innings eater.

NYYF Legend

I wouldn't touch Glasnow with a 10 foot pole. Guy is a complete mess. I'd be down with a AAA guy for Clint, I just really don't like Glasnow.

I think with a team setup as we are, you hedge mL unknown with ML success. That's what a Clint for Tehran or Cole trade would be.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

I actually very much agree with hedging mL unknown with ML success - it's a sensical philosophy for a team in the position the Yankees are in. I just don't like Teheran's "success" as the target.

Thread Information