+ Reply to Thread
Page 135 of 135 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 132 133 134 135
Results 3,351 to 3,365 of 3365

Re: 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Almost. And now we're closer:

This is brilliant!
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I just donít think really care for it because we arenít a smaller market team. If Torres is good heís either gonna get paid in 202x or 202x+1. I just donít see it as a really big deal for the yankeees I guess

Youre right. We're not a small market team. Thats why we have to worry about cap space. And its not just money. In this new CBA, teams going over the cap dont just lose money. They lose amateur draft position. They receive diminished compensation when one of their FA's are signed away. And they are more severely penalized when they sign another team's FA, including not getting as much IFA pool money the following year (500,000 less).

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    Well, since most studs come up when they are young 20-21-22 years old, you are gaining an extra year of control during a prime production year when they are 26-27-28 or so.

So you are trading a young, probably not peak year, for control of possibly THE PEAK YEAR of a players career. If they are a stud, that is possibly an all-star or even MVP year.

Even the Yankees don't keep everyone, see Cano, Robbie. In the past, it didn't affect the Yankees much, because they had only a few position players come up. Posada, Cano, Jeter, Bernie. Most of the others came via trades/FA's.

It has nothing to do with small market vs large market, it has to do with stupid vs smart. Especially with the sheer numbers of players expected to graduate to NY.
    Its even more lopsided than that. WE dont keep him down all year this year to get the extra year. He only has to be kept down like 19 games.

Source: J.D. Martinez has told the Red Sox he would DH and play outfield for them. Flipside: other clubs are offering a full-time outfield job and he enjoys the outfield.

-Evan Drellich

giants offer him 6/175 please.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Its even more lopsided than that. WE dont keep him down all year this year to get the extra year. He only has to be kept down like 19 games.
    It's not even that. It's roughly twelve days.

You get credit for a full year of service time with 172 days in the Majors - active or DL. There are approximately 183 service days in the MLB calendar year. You cannot earn more than 172 no matter what (if you're up for 179 in a given year you only get credit for 172) . So you just have to keep the guy down long enough to make sure he can't get to 172 in his first year. That means you have to keep him down for approximately the first 12 days of the season. If you do that he becomes a free agent a full year later than if he makes the opening day roster.

12 days. Not even 12 games. 12 days - that's it.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    This is brilliant!
    Zim - we disagree on a lot of stuff, and while I absolute love the deal I don't know how I truly feel about Stanton longterm (I don't mind it macro but realize it's 10 years), but it is absolutely hilarious to me that they figured out a way to game the system and have him count only $22 million against the LT calculation. It's patently absurd, and I love that it's our favorite team that figured it out. Ridiculous.

Dudes are going to making CRAZY AAV numbers in the near future, and Stanton is counting $22 million, and "only" through his age 37 season. It may not work out because anything can fail and it's a long time, and why the hell did they even need Stanton in the first place, but my goodness is it ridiculous that they could mess with the finances to the degree that they did.

So I'm going to be posting this as much as I can for as long as I can

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    There was talk on ESPN about possibly moving Judge up to the leadoff spot as we go full analytical and sabermetrical with this team.

Judge had a .422 OBP, highest on the team. That was the main reason. The other reason being his high K rate, it won t hurt as much leading off the game and it would with runners on. They also mentioned as the lineup turns over the bottom of the order could be on base for him to blast home.
    I'm all about analytics, but sometimes too much of anything is a bad thing. Maybe it works great, but I'm not crazy about it.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Almost. And now we're closer:

Cash is a genius. Repeat after me.
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    That's possible, and if the Yankees win even 1 championship in the next 3 years and he does, they might wish him well..

I think he would have to hit 40 to 50 every year to even think about opting out of that contract tho.
    Even if he does - after DHing as much as he likely does - would that lower his value where he might think twice? It might raise flags to NL teams if he spends half his time DHing - also might lower his value to AL teams with a steady DH. Basically, if he's crushing it, then DH him as much as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Oh, I know - that's why I didn't even mention Tanaka, and if Stanton and his agent are to be taken at face value, they have no intention of opting out but who knows?

Point is, by 2021, there is a very real possibility that the Yankees will have at least $140 million tied up between Greinke, Stanton, Judge, Bird, Sanchez and Severino should they trade for Greinke.

From a payroll flexibility standpoint, it's a recipe for disaster.

Greinke is absurd... Throwing bad money after bad. I will be floored if that happens.

Zim - we disagree on a lot of stuff, and while I absolute love the deal I don't know how I truly feel about Stanton longterm (I don't mind it macro but realize it's 10 years), but it is absolutely hilarious to me that they figured out a way to game the system and have him count only $22 million against the LT calculation. It's patently absurd, and I love that it's our favorite team that figured it out. Ridiculous.

Dudes are going to making CRAZY AAV numbers in the near future, and Stanton is counting $22 million, and "only" through his age 37 season. It may not work out because anything can fail and it's a long time, and why the hell did they even need Stanton in the first place, but my goodness is it ridiculous that they could mess with the finances to the degree that they did.

So I'm going to be posting this as much as I can for as long as I can

We do disagree on stuff from time to time, but I've always respected your insights because they're always intelligent and thought-provoking. So, thank you for that. Respect.

During the last few years, I've become a lot more conservative in my views regarding how I'd like this team to be run - could be a result of seeing this team get burned on bad trades and contracts one time too many over the last 30 years. And like you, I fear the last 2-3 years of Stanton's deal will be an albatross, but also feel confident that the first 6-7 years should be a treat to watch as long as he remains healthy.

We finally have a superb farm system and I simply want to see most of these kids grow and flourish as Yankees, and not elsewhere because we traded them for overpriced veterans. Seen enough of that during the 80's.

I will be the first to admit that I grossly miscalculated Cashman's ability to somehow fit Stanton's contract into the team's payroll while adhering to the luxury tax threshold. I thought it was impossible.

I was here debating Bossman on the impossibility of making it work, or even the need to trade for him, when someone posted the Tweet from Leyritz. Initially, I thought it was a hoax, and as the story began to unfold, it was surreal to me that it was actually happening.

In short it took a perfect storm of events to bring this to fruition, and I haven't been this excited about our favorite team in 20 years.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

It's not even that. It's roughly twelve days.

You get credit for a full year of service time with 172 days in the Majors - active or DL. There are approximately 183 service days in the MLB calendar year. You cannot earn more than 172 no matter what (if you're up for 179 in a given year you only get credit for 172) . So you just have to keep the guy down long enough to make sure he can't get to 172 in his first year. That means you have to keep him down for approximately the first 12 days of the season. If you do that he becomes a free agent a full year later than if he makes the opening day roster.

12 days. Not even 12 games. 12 days - that's it.
    Very close. It was 12 days until 2017. From 2018 it will be 16 days. Still a very short time. It would not make any sense to not delay his free agency for a whole year for a dozen games.

Fowler suing WSox for his injury.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...ed-rate-field/
    Let's Go Yankees!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Pakimobzta View Post
    Wow. In the heat of the moment I thought this might happen... And now it does. An unpadded electrical box at knee level! Why not just random potholes in the field

Have to wonder if this means his rehab isn't going well. You'd think he wouldnt want the distraction of a lawsuit while trying to make the A's roster.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I still think hosmer ends up a red sock. Makes too much sense
    I thought it made too much sense for Stanton to be in Boston. That turned out well.

Preller offered Panda 100 million before, he won't be shy to approach Hosmer's asking price.

Thread Information