+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Re: Offseason Thread

Can’t wait for hot stove.

I think this loss, while painful, is good for the team. It means they’re going to be extra hungry for a division crown, and best record next year. Just getting in won’t be enough now. They’ve been taugh the value of home field advantage. And now they all have postseason experience to work off of.

Playoff losses used to be so bitter, but it’s hard to be bitter with this team.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    Can’t wait for hot stove.

I think this loss, while painful, is good for the team. It means they’re going to be extra hungry for a division crown, and best record next year. Just getting in won’t be enough now. They’ve been taugh the value of home field advantage. And now they all have postseason experience to work off of.

Playoff losses used to be so bitter, but it’s hard to be bitter with this team.
    It's shaping up to be an interesting hot stove that I can remember. You got the pursuit of Otani, a potential Tanaka opt-out and its ramifications, and the quest to reset the payroll tax rate.

My guess is that Cashman also has some trade ideas that'll come more into focus at the winter meetings. At this point, I'm assuming he's returning as head of baseball ops in one form or another.

It may seem early, but it is probably therapeutic for some of us to start thinking about this.

1) Any posts will be closer to reality if they accept the luxury tax threshold as a hard cap for the Yankees this year. They are getting under it regardless. I think this means continuing to go with the youth rather than signing or trading for big contracts. This is fine with me.
    2) I think Ellsbury will be gone. They will get whatever money off his contract they can. The only thing that would save him for pinstripes is an especially good offer for Gardner or Hicks. I doubt either offer will be there for them. I think they believe in Clint and will give him an extended chance next year. Hicks had a bad ALCS, but I think they stick with him next year in CF. Because of his popularity, Gardner is probably more valuable to the Yankees than to other teams.
    3) I thought they would wait until mid-season and further Torres success before trading Castro, but his play in the post season might accelerate his departure. Get his contract off the books and give Wade a steady chance while waiting for Torres.
    4) If they are sold on Andujar, as I hope, they can't sign Todd. Leave Headley there until they are willing to give Andujar the position. I hope he takes it in spring training.
    5) If they like Otani, they need to determine whether they can sign him before making other pitching moves. I hope they like him and can sign him.
    6) I think they will bring back Tanaka regardless, however.
    7) If they do not have both of the Japanese pitchers, and C.C. accepts one year, they will probably re-sign him. I think they may budget for three post-arbitration starters, including Gray, only one on a max contract like that of Tanaka. Otani of course would be cheap and give more flexibility.
    8) They may explore trading Betances. I would.
    9) If they do not get Otani, is there money left over for another bat for DH? Not enough for Martinez, but is there someone else? I think Cashman will see what money is left and who is available late in the off season.

NYYF Legend

^ I agree with everything Rajah wrote.

I think this is going to be a very exciting offseason. We have a ton of trade chips and a ton of motivation to push them “all in”.

One player that was mentioned that I would love to acquire - Christian Yellich.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    -Deal Castro
    -Do not re-sign Todd Frazier
    -CC back on a 1 year deal
    -Headley back at 3rd until Andujar's defense is decent enough
    -Tanaka back but no crazy extension please. Something reasonable for both sides
    -Do not re-sign Holliday
    -Try to trade Ellsbury
    -Gardner trade. I like him but he wears down easily. He gutted it out but his bat looked pretty slow in the playoffs. Also he becomes a 10/5 next year. And you won't be able to deal him.
    It's a tough decision

Adding,

-Trade Betances
    -Chance Adams to the pen during the season
    -Ohtani if he decides to come over

Ohtani fits the needs of this team so well as a full time DH and part of the rotation. I really hope it happens.

If Andujar can't field worth a damn, it's still worth taking a serious look at him as a full-time DH. He can mash from what we've seen of him, we don't have a decent DH right now, and he is young and cheap.

Agree w/ shopping Castro
    Agree w/ shopping Gardner
    Agree w/ shopping Betances
    Agree w/ CC to a 1-year deal
    Don't necessarily agree w/ keeping Todd
    Obviously, do whatever is possible to shed Ellsbury and some of his contract
    Could move Hicks while he still has value and let Frazier take his spot

Ideally, we would make our trades to get a 2-3 type starter. OF doesn't need new blood, 3rd base is the only question mark on the infield (assuming that Torres will be with the club next year to replace Castro), and the bullpen is fine. Severino, Gray, Tanaka, CC, and go out and get someone else to round out the rotation.

Think they'll be in on Darvish, Arrieta, and possibly Lance Lynn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    Ohtani fits the needs of this team so well as a full time DH and part of the rotation. I really hope it happens.
    If the Yankees get him, do you think they will let him do both ?
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

NYYF Legend

I just want a real DH that can mash (e.g., JD Martinez). No more using the spot to rest starters.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBomber86 View Post
    Think they'll be in on Darvish, Arrieta, and possibly Lance Lynn.
    I thought I read somewhere that they really like alex cobb
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I just want a real DH that can mash (e.g., JD Martinez). No more using the spot to rest starters.
    I doubt with the luxury tax issue we will be spending much on a DH.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Heck, they won't even spend money for an upgraded pitching machine.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post
    1) He's young and controllable
    2) big game pitcher
    3) he's an innings eater
    4) missing piece to the pie
    5) Giants are rebuilding and would trade him for the right price

He's our answer to Chris Sale and David Price
    Chris Sale and David Price were at home watching the Yankees play in the ALCS.

I'd love Jose Abreu over Martinez.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    If the Yankees get him, do you think they will let him do both ?
    If he's a middle of the rotation guy and a great hitter, maybe. If he's a 1 or 2 type starter, not a chance.
    Let the kids play.

The Yankees are going to have an elite offense and relief pitching by staying pat, so virtually all of the focus should be on starting pitching. Hopefully CC comes back on a reasonable deal. Both Cobb and Darvish should be potential targets. See if you can get a top pitcher for Gleyber, and they should be open to trading Clint and Chance too. As already mentioned they should see if Bumgarner is available, and check with the Cardinals about Michael Wacha and Carlos Martinez.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    The Yankees are going to have an elite offense and relief pitching by staying pat, so virtually all of the focus should be on starting pitching. Hopefully CC comes back on a reasonable deal. Both Cobb and Darvish should be potential targets. See if you can get a top pitcher for Gleyber, and they should be open to trading Clint and Chance too. As already mentioned they should see if Bumgarner is available, and check with the Cardinals about Michael Wacha and Carlos Martinez.
    I'd find it very hard to trade Torres. He's about as close to a sure thing a prospect can be.

But I am definitely open to packaging any other prospects for an elite SP.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    In 2018 being under the Luxury Tax means a payroll of $197mil or less.

Right now Tanaka, Ellsbury, Chapman, Headley, Gardner, Castro and yes, Brian McCann (2018 he is owed 5.5mil, same as this year) cost $101.2mil.

Assuming Tanaka doesn't opt out that leaves $95.8 mil for 19 players. And maybe some other expenses?

NYYF Legend

We had one this year. How did that work out for us?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If they did all that and still couldnt score, we could always break the pitching machine's arm with a bat.
    We don't know how a pitching machine would be in a brawl. Can they even run in from the bullpen?

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    Assuming they're still looking at the luxury tax, I figure Castro, Warren, Betances and either Headley or Gardner will be shopped around. I'd imagine Castro will be in demand for some squad. I imagine the guys who are eligible for arbitration and might be somewhat redundant will be shopped around.

Outside of bringing back CC and chasing Ohtani for all its worth, I feel like the bench needs serious improvement the most but there's a lot of options already on the squad. There's no immediate BUC candidate of merit in the farm system so they're going to have to spend there. Wade can probably replace what Torreyes brings to the table as far as production/versatility and I guess you have to assume that clubhouse chemistry isn't a be all end all. I don't see Ellsbury being moved and I can't see them trading Gardener either so Frazier is either going to break as a #5 outfielder or he needs to spend the winter working at 1st base to make the team as Greg Bird injury insurance. Basically what Billy McKinney seems to be doing in the AFL.

I wonder what the value of Andujar might be going forward. Maybe it's just the Jesus Montero deal in my head but whenever you hear "all bat, questionable fielding" type reports around a player (with this org at least), it leads me to believe that the future for said guy is as a piece in a deal. As such, I could see Andujar and Adams as the key pieces on a deal similar to what Tek had pitched.
    If they sin Otani and retain Tanaka, there is no place for CC unless they go to a 6-man rotation.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    It may seem early, but it is probably therapeutic for some of us to start thinking about this.

1) Any posts will be closer to reality if they accept the luxury tax threshold as a hard cap for the Yankees this year. They are getting under it regardless. I think this means continuing to go with the youth rather than signing or trading for big contracts. This is fine with me.
    2) I think Ellsbury will be gone. They will get whatever money off his contract they can. The only thing that would save him for pinstripes is an especially good offer for Gardner or Hicks. I doubt either offer will be there for them. I think they believe in Clint and will give him an extended chance next year. Hicks had a bad ALCS, but I think they stick with him next year in CF. Because of his popularity, Gardner is probably more valuable to the Yankees than to other teams.
    3) I thought they would wait until mid-season and further Torres success before trading Castro, but his play in the post season might accelerate his departure. Get his contract off the books and give Wade a steady chance while waiting for Torres.
    4) If they are sold on Andujar, as I hope, they can't sign Todd. Leave Headley there until they are willing to give Andujar the position. I hope he takes it in spring training.
    5) If they like Otani, they need to determine whether they can sign him before making other pitching moves. I hope they like him and can sign him.
    6) I think they will bring back Tanaka regardless, however.
    7) If they do not have both of the Japanese pitchers, and C.C. accepts one year, they will probably re-sign him. I think they may budget for three post-arbitration starters, including Gray, only one on a max contract like that of Tanaka. Otani of course would be cheap and give more flexibility.
    8) They may explore trading Betances. I would.
    9) If they do not get Otani, is there money left over for another bat for DH? Not enough for Martinez, but is there someone else? I think Cashman will see what money is left and who is available late in the off season.
    1. How much will Martinez cost? Maybe around $22M? Isnt this far better use of money than spending $35M+ on Harper. Not only that, Martinez is available now for 2018 and Harper isnt.
    2. We save 20 M$ on ARod and $22M on CC. They really need to get Otani, since the team signing him will do so for peanuts. That still leaves more than enough to get Martinez and retain Tanaka.
    3. Moving Ellsbury is a pipe dream. There are two reasons to move him. To save money. And to open a roster spot. They at most are going to save $4m/year if they found a trade partner, because they are going to have to absorb 80% of his contract. Moving Gardner seems more logical. They could find a partner to take his 12$M off the books, and Martinez could slot in to LF.
    4. I think they try to rebuild Betances value and trade him in July.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    In spades. Having Otani in essence gives you a 26 man roster, while ev1 else has a 25 man roster.

NYYF Legend

Should Tanaka opt out and with CC off the books would that leave enough money to go after one guy and still stay under the threshold?

Thread Information