+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 122 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Re: Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27 View Post
    Ummmm. Ok, second post about it. Explain because I say no thanks.
    1) He's young and controllable
    2) big game pitcher
    3) he's an innings eater
    4) missing piece to the pie
    5) Giants are rebuilding and would trade him for the right price

He's our answer to Chris Sale and David Price

Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post

They are great pitchers, but didn't exactly perform this September/October.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    They are great pitchers, but didn't exactly perform this September/October.
    Though Bum is proven in the post season.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    -Deal Castro
    -Do not re-sign Todd Frazier
    -CC back on a 1 year deal
    -Headley back at 3rd until Andujar's defense is decent enough
    -Tanaka back but no crazy extension please. Something reasonable for both sides
    -Do not re-sign Holliday
    -Try to trade Ellsbury
    -Gardner trade. I like him but he wears down easily. He gutted it out but his bat looked pretty slow in the playoffs. Also he becomes a 10/5 next year. And you won't be able to deal him.
    It's a tough decision
    Good starting point, plus one or more of the relievers will have to go as Green and to a lesser extent Kahnle have moved up in the pecking order. This team must get some hitters at 2nd, 3rd and an outfield spot. I would even miss on Harper to fill these needs. If Torres and Andujar are the answers at 2nd and 3rd then sure we're playing with house money and Harper is back in play. We did not win our rings in the 90s with high strikeout home run hitters.

NYYF Legend

But, at the same point, is proven to be an injury risk.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Oh, He is awesome. I'd be fine with them trading for him if the Giants go into a full rebuild. I just wanted to point that out because I hate the Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post
    1) He's young and controllable
    2) big game pitcher
    3) he's an innings eater
    4) missing piece to the pie
    5) Giants are rebuilding and would trade him for the right price

I like this one. Terrible farm, terrible big league team, two years of control. 27. I don't think his name popped up on my radar because he seems like one of those guys that a team would hold onto for legacy reasons, but he's a very good target.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Good starting point, plus one or more of the relievers will have to go as Green and to a lesser extent Kahnle have moved up in the pecking order. This team must get some hitters at 2nd, 3rd and an outfield spot. I would even miss on Harper to fill these needs. If Torres and Andujar are the answers at 2nd and 3rd then sure we're playing with house money and Harper is back in play. We did not win our rings in the 90s with high strikeout home run hitters.
    Why? Why not bring back the entire bullpen?

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    • Trade Clint/Adams/+ for an impact cost-controlled player. No idea who. Florial and potentially Harper makes Frazier expendable somewhat. Sheffield and Abreu have more upside than Adams anyways.
    • Castro is owed $22M over the next three years. Trade while value is still somewhat high (All-Star appearance). Horrible defender with terrible plate discipline, both skills which aren't likely to improve. He's a ~2 win player at peak value probably.
    • Dangle one year deals to CC/Frazier and see if they bite.
    • Re-sign Tanaka if he opts out -- $100-120M is a bargain for an under 30 #2 type.
    • Trade for Jose Abreu as a DH (significantly less money than JD) potentially similar numbers; should cost marginal prospects.
    Some good ideas here. Personally I liked what I saw from Clint. He's got a quick bat and I'd be hesitant to trade him. I want to see him in LF next year over Gardy. He's been a great yankee but time to move on. Couldnt agree more with dumping Castro. I hate his approach at the plate flails at everything and he's just one of those guys who puts up decent numbers but just isnt a very good baseball player. I feel anything he does good is just pure dumb luck. I like the Abreu idea he's a guy whose got really good power and most importantly is a very solid .280 hitter with a K rate under 20% which is what this lineup really needs badly in order to balance out the Ks from other parts of the lineup. With Abreu as long as the asking price is reasonable I'd be really interested. One year to Todd is what I'd do too. But I doubt he would take it and to be honest as much as I like the guy and his defense his hitting approach -high K rate empty BA isn't really what this team needs. First thing this team should do is look to balance the lineup out with hitters who K less. This really transformed the stros. They went from a lineup that was one of the highest K rates last year to one of the lowest this year and instantly improved their offense tremendously. They replaced boom/busters like Rasmus and Valbuena with guys like Gurriel and Reddick.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    1) Create a simulated environment using state-of-the art pitching machines that throw everything from knuckle balls to 100mph fastballs and mimic crowd noises and situational hitting situations. Make sure every player masters this environment
    What is this obsession with pitching machines?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    Yeah, I hear that Stephen Drew and Brian Roberts are available.
    Last time I checked they didn't have a top 3 prospect who could play there.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    Why? Why not bring back the entire bullpen?
    Because we have a wealth of riches in our relievers and will not be able to get them all regular work.

NYYF Legend

I think Cockrell might be fired/let go depending on where his contract is. If he was the one behind the drastic change in approach for this team, I think there's a chance they move on to someone else.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    What is this obsession with pitching machines?
    it works

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Pakimobzta View Post
    If we are going to bring Tanaka back, we have to extend him before he opts out. Reason being that it will be hard to find someone to insure a new contract. The original contract should have him insured for the next three years.
    Zactly. Play off his fears. Take advantage of the exclusive negotiating window they have. He is opting out otherwise. Offer just enough to make it not worth the risk of opting out. He has 3-67 left. Give him another 8. I would even take a run at converting his 3-67 to something like 2-56. The guy has already banked 88 million. He couldnt get 28 AAV on a LTD. And a 2 year deal would allow him another big FA payday at age 30-31. Maybe he's a risk taker and would bite.

Calls a tool a tool

But, at the same point, is proven to be an injury risk.
    Motor cycle accident?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I think Cockrell might be fired/let go depending on where his contract is. If he was the one behind the drastic change in approach for this team, I think there's a chance they move on to someone else.
    Yeah the whole swing at Morton's first pitch approach was complete dogsh*t... someone needs to be held accountable for that crap
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Calls a tool a tool

it works
    If they did all that and still couldnt score, we could always break the pitching machine's arm with a bat.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If they did all that and still couldnt score, we could always break the pitching machine's arm with a bat.
    or just fire the hitting coach.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Yeah the whole swing at Morton's first pitch approach was complete dogsh*t... someone needs to be held accountable for that crap
    I liked that approach personally. I didn't like the swinging at breaking balls in the dirt,especially when McCullers threw 14 in a row to end the 8th I think.

1) Create a simulated environment using state-of-the art pitching machines that throw everything from knuckle balls to 100mph fastballs and mimic crowd noises and situational hitting situations. Make sure every player masters this environment

2) Sign Cashman

3) Sign Girardi to the same contract Cashman gets

4) Explore the trade markets for Betances

5) Trade one of Headley or Castro based on Torres' production early on.

6) Don't sign Frazier

7) Sign CC to a one-year deal
    Winner - #4. Even though I can't understand a word Betances says in that commercial about a baby in his glove he's got devastating stuff and cheap.

NYYF Legend

Has Otani signed yet?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    I liked that approach personally. I didn't like the swinging at breaking balls in the dirt,especially when McCullers threw 14 in a row to end the 8th I think.
    Jeff Passan @JeffPassan 1h1 hour ago
    Lance McCullers finished the game by throwing 24 consecutive curveballs. That is absurd.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Jeff Passan @JeffPassan 1h1 hour ago
    Lance McCullers finished the game by throwing 24 consecutive curveballs. That is absurd.
    That's just ridiculous. Ugh.

Assuming they're still looking at the luxury tax, I figure Castro, Warren, Betances and either Headley or Gardner will be shopped around. I'd imagine Castro will be in demand for some squad. I imagine the guys who are eligible for arbitration and might be somewhat redundant will be shopped around.

Outside of bringing back CC and chasing Ohtani for all its worth, I feel like the bench needs serious improvement the most but there's a lot of options already on the squad. There's no immediate BUC candidate of merit in the farm system so they're going to have to spend there. Wade can probably replace what Torreyes brings to the table as far as production/versatility and I guess you have to assume that clubhouse chemistry isn't a be all end all. I don't see Ellsbury being moved and I can't see them trading Gardener either so Frazier is either going to break as a #5 outfielder or he needs to spend the winter working at 1st base to make the team as Greg Bird injury insurance. Basically what Billy McKinney seems to be doing in the AFL.

I wonder what the value of Andujar might be going forward. Maybe it's just the Jesus Montero deal in my head but whenever you hear "all bat, questionable fielding" type reports around a player (with this org at least), it leads me to believe that the future for said guy is as a piece in a deal. As such, I could see Andujar and Adams as the key pieces on a deal similar to what Tek had pitched.

Thread Information