+ Reply to Thread
Page 171 of 260 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 181 221 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,275 of 6484

Re: 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    What is a dynasty in today's MLB climate?
    Winning 3 of 5 World Series a la the San Francisco Giants.

What is a dynasty in today's MLB climate?
    multiple championships in the span of 5 years at least... The Yankees won 3 straight and 4 in 5, that likely wont happen again, but I'd say the Giants were the last one.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Yankees unlike the Astros can build a dynasty, the Astros have the talent, but they probably will never have the resources to keep them all?.
    The Astros are in one of the four biggest markets in baseball and their owner has repeatedly stated that heís willing to spend the money once they had a good team and players worth keeping.

multiple championships in the span of 5 years at least... The Yankees won 3 straight and 4 in 5, that likely wont happen again, but I'd say the Giants were the last one.
    Then it's possible for Houston to do so as they only need one more in the next four years. Also, most of their best position players are young or tied up in good cost control contracts. Houston is the 5th or 6th largest media market in the country. I don't know enough about their local TV contract so it could be a factor too.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    The Astros are in one of the four biggest markets in baseball and their owner has repeatedly stated that heís willing to spend the money once they had a good team and players worth keeping.
    I thought they were 5th or 6th so 4th is even better for them. Their local TV contract could be a factor too in their profit margin.

NYYF Cy Young

I thought they were 5th or 6th so 4th is even better for them. Their local TV contract could be a factor too in their profit margin.
    They are probably closer to 6th or 7th, actually. I just remembered (wrongly) that some people were saying that the top 4 markets were the ALCS and NLCS teams. Still, itís not like theyíre a small market team. Iím sure they can make enough revenue to keep their core, especially since Iím sure thereíll be an uptick with fan support right after winning the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    They are probably closer to 6th or 7th, actually. I just remembered (wrongly) that some people were saying that the top 4 markets were the ALCS and NLCS teams. Still, itís not like theyíre a small market team. Iím sure they can make enough revenue to keep their core, especially since Iím sure thereíll be an uptick with fan support right after winning the World Series.
    there is already talk they're not going to re sign Kuechel, Verlander will be up in 2 years after that, they need to win another 1 in the next 2 years to be considered anything close to a dynasty.

We all thought the Cubs could be one too...

Then it's possible for Houston to do so as they only need one more in the next four years. Also, most of their best position players are young or tied up in good cost control contracts. Houston is the 5th or 6th largest media market in the country. I don't know enough about their local TV contract so it could be a factor too.
    In the next two years, the only guys they really have to make decisions on are Keuchel and Altuve. I guess you could throw Marwin Gonzalez (2018) and Charlie Morton (2019) in there as well. They will have McCann, Verlander, Sipp, and Joe Smith coming off the books. Point being, the Astros will have money to spend to retain these guys, including an extension for Springer.

there is already talk they're not going to re sign Kuechel, Verlander will be up in 2 years after that, they need to win another 1 in the next 2 years to be considered anything close to a dynasty.

We all thought the Cubs could be one too...
    Reason?

Jeff Passan‏Verified account @JeffPassan

Source: "No deal" for Gerrit Cole to Houston. "False rumor."

As is the case with these things, talks could pick back up quickly. For now, though, Gerrit Cole to Houston is not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Reason?
    its reportedly why they're trying to get Cole or another SP like Darvish.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Reason?
    Scott Boras!

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Can we change the title of this thread to "2017-2018 Luke Warm Stove Thread"?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Can we change the title of this thread to "2017-2018 Luke Warm Stove Thread"?
    luke warm?????

NYYF Legend

Huzzah!

Per Ben Badler, the Yankees have signed one of the untethered Braves prospects, Angel Rojas, and they gave him a bigger bonus ($350K) than his original ($300K).
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Yu Darvish has reportedly narrowed down his potential landing sports to #Rangers, #Yankees, #Cubs, #Astros and #Twins, per @JeffWilson_FWST.

nice to dream about but unless he's willing to take 17M a year or so, long shot.

NYYF Legend

Wonder what our offer is.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Yu Darvish has reportedly narrowed down his potential landing sports to #Rangers, #Yankees, #Cubs, #Astros and #Twins, per @JeffWilson_FWST.

nice to dream about but unless he's willing to take 17M a year or so, long shot.
    So "narrowed down" to all of the teams that have shown real interest?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    So "narrowed down" to all of the teams that have shown real interest?
    Definitely laughed.

Actually not even, by all reports TEX has no interest in signing any big money FAs and the dinner that Darvish and Daniels had last month was just a friendly one, not business.

NYYF Legend

SOURCES: Yu Darvish narrowing his choices down to teams that are willing to give him a baseball contract

SOURCES: Gerrit Cole WILL pitch for a Major League Baseball team in 2018

SOURCES: Manny Machado has a 50/50 chance of being traded or staying put

SOURCES: The only thing remotely ďhotĒ this winter is the sweat from my balls while I get stressed reading all these fake news reports
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Initially I wanted no part in him, but if we can get Darvish and stay under the threshold, why not
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gregzzy22 View Post
    Initially I wanted no part in him, but if we can get Darvish and stay under the threshold, why not
    Yeah, I'd rather Darvish if they can make the money work than Cole in a trade giving up guys like Frazier.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Yeah, I'd rather Darvish if they can make the money work than Cole in a trade giving up guys like Frazier.
    I didn't think CC 1 year $10M was a realistic option when last season ended but it happened.

If the market is weaker than we thought and the Yanks can get Yu on "limited years" I'd be totally down with that.

My biggest issue with Yu is the number of years the contract is likely to be but if he's only able to get 3 years in this market and not 6 years like I though the would I'd be all in favor of the Yanks pursuing that.

I have no idea if that's a realistic expectation of the contract Yu will eventually sign. It could just be a pipe dream on my part and he signs somewhere for 6/$150M. Of course someone needs to offer him that first.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Sources: If I ever become an athlete, Jason Wood WILL be my agent
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information