+ Reply to Thread
Page 164 of 261 FirstFirst ... 64 114 154 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 174 214 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 6519
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Cash needs to make a trade for a better backup catcher and DFA Romine.

Why? Romaine is a decent sub at a very low salary. He is very good defensively. What we need is pitching not more defense. If we want to stay below the penalty cap we need to spend wisely.

andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Why? Romaine is a decent sub at a very low salary. He is very good defensively. What we need is pitching not more defense. If we want to stay below the penalty cap we need to spend wisely.

andy
    Because Romine is atrocious, both offensively and defensively. It's palatable and even expected for a back-up to be bad offensively or defensively, hence they're a back-up. But to be worthless on both sides? Just what does he bring to the table? Absolutely nothing. It would be very unfortunate if Romine is on the team next year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Not opposed to that at all. Any suggests on who?
    You'd have to go through a team's roster. Find an intriguing backup catcher.

It shouldn't be all that difficult to upgrade considering Romine was tied for 66th out of 67 in fWAR AND 62 out of 67 in RC+ for Cs over 100 PAs. I'd be happy rolling the dice with Higgy. If he goes down, you are in the same place you started.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

andy
    Id contest very good defensively.

NYYF Legend

andy
    If he was a decent sub at a low salary keeping him on would make sense.

The problem is history and statistics show him to be below average even for a backup.

Now if the Yankees only problem this year is they have a bad back up catcher I can probably live with that but I'm on the upgrade BUC train that several other posters are also on.

As for how that might be I have no idea but I'm sure there is some organization that has some catching depth they could trade for some of our AAAA pitching surplus.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

You'd have to go through a team's roster. Find an intriguing backup catcher.

It shouldn't be all that difficult to upgrade considering Romine was tied for 66th out of 67 in fWAR AND 62 out of 67 in RC+ for Cs over 100 PAs. I'd be happy rolling the dice with Higgy. If he goes down, you are in the same place you started.
    Somebody was worse than Romine? Don't tell me, that's got to be Luke Maile...that dude was hitting like .080 at one point.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I get what you're saying, but I think you're being a bit too literal. There's a reason Trout is the best player in baseball - nobody's better than him. Therefore the best player in any trade made for him is going to look vastly inferior from a talent/production standpoint. It'll be a quarter for a dime, two nickels, and five pennies trade - no matter who the dime is - because Trout is THAT good.

That said, I think when you take into consideration contracts and service time, Sanchez and Judge are amongst the best 3-5 best trade pieces in all of baseball heading into the 2018 season. If you figure both of those guys to be "dimes", then you could end up building the rest of the package around a whole bunch of nickels and make the total well in excess of the $0.25 value of Trout as the quarter.

As such, a deal that could end up enticing enough would end up being something like Judge, Betances, Gleyber, Frazier, Abreu, Freicer. Or swap out Florial for Frazier.
    I mean, it’s a fun conversation and all, but I view the centerfielder closer to Mickey Mantle than I view him to any current ML’er. Way too much proven upside.

However, Judge would need to come close to doing what he did last year again to merit the dime analogy.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Never want to see romine again. It was nice when he said some run production ability but that was unlikely to last
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Maybe Im undervaluing the current crop of Yankees (or all of MLB for that matter), but if Im Billy Eppler I cant think of a single player Id be interested in as the centerpiece in a deal for Mike Trout.

Maybe Altuve and Correa.
    I would probably do that trade. You definitely do not trade him for prospects
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I mean, it’s a fun conversation and all, but I view the centerfielder closer to Mickey Mantle than I view him to any current ML’er. Way too much proven upside.

However, Judge would need to come close to doing what he did last year again to merit the dime analogy.
    We clearly see things similarly, though I'd disagree with the Judge opinion. If he puts up a 7+ WAR season again this year he's now got 4 years of control left and arguably the best player in baseball behind Trout. He's way more than a dime at that point, I think.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Funny line, but Mike Ehrmantraut is dead in the current timeline, so I think Romine and Shreve might be enough there.
    I was attempting to be discreet about ME's status. Although, I guess it's moot if he's only bringing back Romine and Shreve.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    We clearly see things similarly, though I'd disagree with the Judge opinion. If he puts up a 7+ WAR season again this year he's now got 4 years of control left and arguably the best player in baseball behind Trout. He's way more than a dime at that point, I think.
    Agreed.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Jerry Crasnick‏ @jcrasnick 6m6 minutes ago

The #Dodgers and #Whitesox are working on a trade. Stay tuned.

The Indians are “open” to moving right-hander Danny Salazar, reports Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic in his latest notes column (subscription required and strongly recommended). Salazar, 28 next week, has missed time in each of the past two seasons owing to shoulder and elbow injuries. When healthy, the flamethrowing righty has shown the ability to overpower hitters, as evidenced by a career 10.5 K/9 mark and 12.6 percent swinging-strike rate. Salazar, who has two years of club control remaining, comes with a projected arbitration salary of $5.2MM for the 2018 campaign (via MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz) and would be arb-eligible once more next winter.
    Had a down year last year, but I'd wonder what the price is.

Would definitely check in on Salazar.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Would definitely check in on Salazar.
    I wonder if the Indians would like to have Clint Frazier back?

Perhaps if the Indians are interested in the same Frazier/Adams package for Salazar like the one that was being discussed with the Pirates, it would get the two teams bidding against each other? I bet Cashman is hoping for something like this to happen.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I wonder if the Indians would like to have Clint Frazier back?

Perhaps if the Indians are interested in the same Frazier/Adams package for Salazar like the one that was being discussed with the Pirates, it would get the two teams bidding against each other? I bet Cashman is hoping for something like this to happen.
    I don't know if I'd give up Frazier for Salazar

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    I don't know if I'd give up Frazier for Salazar
    I'd prefer to give up Frazier for Cole over Salazar. My point is maybe getting another team involved might force the Pirates to make a deal. Saving about $17M (Cole's & Harrison's combined salaries in 2018) & getting two very good prospects like Frazier & Adams - can the Pirates really do better?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

God dammit. I wanted Alexander badly. His GB rates are SPECIAL.

@Ken_Rosenthal

Source confirms: #Dodgers getting reliever Scott Alexander from #Royals, sending RHP Trevor Oaks to KC and reliever Luis Avilan to #WhiteSox. Others also involved. First reported: @McCulloughTimes.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Angry Re: 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I'd prefer to give up Frazier for Cole over Salazar. My point is maybe getting another team involved might force the Pirates to make a deal. Saving about $17M (Cole's & Harrison's combined salaries in 2018) & getting two very good prospects like Frazier & Adams - can the Pirates really do better?
    Ah, gotcha

God dammit. I wanted Alexander badly. His GB rates are SPECIAL.
    Good deal for Dodgers but I'm not worried about our pen

NYYF Legend

@darenw

Batters vs Scott Alexander had an average launch angle of -4.6 degrees in 2017. 2nd lowest of any pitchers with 150 BIP. #GroundballMachine

Calmer than you are

KC also getting rid of Soria in deal. Wonder if that's for Hosmer

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Good deal for Dodgers but I'm not worried about our pen
    Replacing Shreve with Alexander would have made sense.
    Calmer than you are

Shreve isn't making this team, NY has 5 of the best 17 relievers in baseball according to Buster Olney's list yesterday (the Indians are the only other team to even have two) and they have more guys they need to give chances to internally.

Thread Information