+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 34 of 34
  1. #26
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: What Yankees World Series Win Was The Least Likely?

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    One thing that always fascinated me is that the Yankees have won 27 World Series without ever having one of the "epic" historic pitching staffs. I guess the staff in the early 1950s when Ford got out of the military and teamed with aging but still-effective Raschi-Reynolds-Lopat comes closest. Still just one deserving HOFer there though, not equal to the one-championship Braves of the 1990s. Is there a lesson there?

    P.S. Not sure why you invoked fielding. I'd take the 1970 Orioles defense over the 1976 Reds defense every day and twice on Sunday. Hitting, well, of course the Reds. Not sure about the bullpens but I lean toward Rawly Eastwick and Pedro Borbon (1970 Topps: "Pedro's hobby is cockfighting!") over Pete Richert and Eddie Watt.
    The 1939 Team put up and ERA+ of 132 which is pretty damn impressive. But I agree with you it wasn't thought of as "an epic historic pitching staff" though it did have an epic historic year.

    I don't think too many team ERAs in baseball history beat that but perhaps Evan J can weigh in on that one.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  2. #27
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    The 1939 Team put up and ERA+ of 132 which is pretty damn impressive. But I agree with you it wasn't thought of as "an epic historic pitching staff" though it did have an epic historic year.

    I don't think too many team ERAs in baseball history beat that but perhaps Evan J can weigh in on that one.
    Even the 2002 Braves barely edged them out, with a 133 ERA+.

    I think the 1939 staff doesn’t get as much credit as it should because Ruffing and Gomez don’t have the aura of Maddux and Glavine, or Koufax and Drysdale. Except for Ruffing, they didn’t have big win totals like the 1970 Orioles. They had a good year from Bump Hadley, who had the misfortune to spend the first ten years of his career with the Senators and Browns, and a spectacular bullpen led by Marius Russo and some guy named Steve Sundra (both swing men, not pure relievers). It all added up to a terrific staff that’s just not the stuff of legend.

  3. #28

    Re: What Yankees World Series Win Was The Least Likely?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Specifically for defense up the middle. The O's were terrific, but Bench-Morgan-Concepción-Gerónimo were the best I've ever seen. 3B, of course, gives a several-league advantage to the O's.

    By the way, I think there's a case to be made for Ruffing for the HOF. Not a great case, but a case. I guess it's based mostly on the odious standards set by the Veterans Committee, though. (Ruffing was just about as good a hitter as Rick Ferrell, though not as good as Wes.)
    I'll give you Bench and Morgan (by substantial margin) but I'll take Belanger and Blair (who might be the best I've ever seen in CF with possible exception of Gary Maddox)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  4. #29
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I'll give you Bench and Morgan (by substantial margin) but I'll take Belanger and Blair (who might be the best I've ever seen in CF with possible exception of Gary Maddox)
    Belanger and Blair, okay, but not by that much, and I’m not even so sure about Belanger. Overall defense up the middle, Reds by quite a bit. Think of it this way: when Cesar Gerónimo is your weakest link, that’s pretty astounding defense.

  5. #30
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: What Yankees World Series Win Was The Least Likely?

    You always hear about the Orioles and Reds being the best teams of the 70s but for me the best team was the Oakland As. Three consecutive WS wins and possibly would have been four had Finley not messed up on Hunters contract. Plus they beat the Reds in the WS.

  6. #31
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: What Yankees World Series Win Was The Least Likely?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Tricky question. The 1932 team is the only one I could find that had 3 HOFers on the staff. A number had 2. But their championship teams led the league in ERA and/or Runs Against many times. So, they must have put together some excellent pitching staffs even if they didn't feature as many HOFers as the Braves. It's really hard to win big without pitching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    The 1939 Team put up and ERA+ of 132 which is pretty damn impressive. But I agree with you it wasn't thought of as "an epic historic pitching staff" though it did have an epic historic year.

    I don't think too many team ERAs in baseball history beat that but perhaps Evan J can weigh in on that one.
    Let me be clear, I wasn't talking about how the staff performed in a given year or even in a small cluster of years. Was talking about the relative absence of revered all-time starting pitchers on any given staff. Never an Atlanta staff, never a Koufax-Drysdale staff (though there was admittedly a heavy dropoff to No. 3 competent-but-unspectacular Podres/Osteen on that one). Not sure you could even say they ever had a Plank-Bender-& co. staff. Yet, 27 championships. So for 45 years they really had to do some quick patching-adjusting, since most of their great pitching in any given time period came from veterans with a limited shelf life or, especially in the latter Stengel era, guys who coughed up an excellent year or two and then were gone with the wind (Grim, Kucks, Sturdivant, Turley et al.).

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    You always hear about the Orioles and Reds being the best teams of the 70s but for me the best team was the Oakland As. Three consecutive WS wins and possibly would have been four had Finley not messed up on Hunters contract. Plus they beat the Reds in the WS.
    They obviously were more consistent than either O's or Red Machine but never hit the highs those teams hit. Relatively unspectacular regular season team that derived a certain amount of benefit from being in the slightly inferior AL West of that era. And not sure how much impact Hunter would have had on 1975 ALCS, Red Sox spanked them pretty good.

  7. #32
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: What Yankees World Series Win Was The Least Likely?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    By the way, I think there's a case to be made for Ruffing for the HOF. Not a great case, but a case. I guess it's based mostly on the odious standards set by the Veterans Committee, though. (Ruffing was just about as good a hitter as Rick Ferrell, though not as good as Wes.)
    I'm kind of against "compilers," as Francesa (speaking of odious) would say. If I had to make a case for either of the 1930s NYY borderline HOFer pitchers, I'd make it for Gomez. Not as durable or as consistent as Ruffing but had a few years Ruffing could only dream of. He won the "Pitching Triple Crown" twice.

  8. #33
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I'm kind of against "compilers," as Francesa (speaking of odious) would say. If I had to make a case for either of the 1930s NYY borderline HOFer pitchers, I'd make it for Gomez. Not as durable or as consistent as Ruffing but had a few years Ruffing could only dream of. He won the "Pitching Triple Crown" twice.
    When I wrote that, I somehow had the idea that Ruffing was not in the HOF. He is, of course, as is Gomez.

  9. #34
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: What Yankees World Series Win Was The Least Likely?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    When I wrote that, I somehow had the idea that Ruffing was not in the HOF. He is, of course, as is Gomez.
    In fairness to Red, had he not spent his first 5 years with the horrendous 1920s Red Sox, he probably would have cleared 300 wins. Not that wins are a popular stat now but let's face it, 300 wins is pretty much an automatic HOF ticket. The somewhat comparable Early Wynn had to wait 9 years after retirement. Ruffing waited 20.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts