+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Historic/Significant Games You've Attended

Quote Originally Posted by geoffman View Post
    I wanted to go to OYS so bad and one day I will make it to NYS.

Keep the stories coming
    I was too young to see OYS. That closed in 1973. I have always made an effort to see games whenever I could. I love seeing out-of-town-games.

The renovated place was nothing special (for its architecture). It was all about the people who were in attendance when games were played, and obviously what occurred. You can read threads all over here and on other forums on how the new Stadium doesn't compare to its predecessor. And we can argue about the moat and the cold feel of the place until the cows come home. It's the people in attendance who give the stadium its pulse and heartbeat.

I am a Mets fan. My dad was a NY Giants fan. My mom was a Phillies fan. (My mom loved baseball, too, and saw Ted Williams play in Shibe Park back in the day may times... - I get my sports fetish from her, no doubt.) I grew up in a NL household, but have been blessed to have lived in a two-league city so I can see lots of games. (The DH sucks!!) I obviously have friends who are Yanks fans (and also baseball fans), and I've seen many a game in the renovated place, and many a game in the new place. My dad was too proud of a Giants fan to ever go to Ebbets - I had no such pride going to RYS, but he went to the old Stadium any times (his buddy loved the Tigers, so they'd pay the 25 cents to drive over the Triboro and park right next to the (old) Stadium and watch a game).

I've listened to the arguments about the greed and everything else. But there is one thing me and my mates have noticed this post-season... and that is that The Stadium finally got its heartbeat back. It felt like the mid-to-late 90's all over again - before everyone and their grandmother had to be there and just sucked the life out of the building.

During Game 4 of this year's LCS, even when the Yanks were down, my buddies were like, "They're coming back. I can just feel it." And the crowd did, too. You could feel the voices resonating... The "Seventh Nation Army" chants just wouldn't stop. My buddy was like, "That must be so f*&^%ing annoying to the Astros..." These are Yankees fans who like CitiField better than NYS (for purely watching a baseball game). So of course we raise our voice level to make it even more annoying... Fans getting up for two strike count pitches... I could go on. It was awesome.

I will add that my attendance at the World Series in 2001 was completely unexpected. My buddy, who is a Yanks fan and got the tickets, had to put his 4th ticket to a vote. Do we take Doug, the Mets fan? Or do we take ___ (who was a Yanks fan). They took me, and I was told it was that my love of baseball that made their decision easy - I'd appreciate it more. (I took them to the Bobby Jones one-hitter playoff game - their first playoff game - and they were most excited to go - and they were shocked I asked them, to which I replied, you were the first on my list to be there after my ticket buddies couldn't make it.) At the time they asked me to go to Game 4 of the 2001 WS, I figured I was their last choice, but I learned otherwise later. Needless to say we are always on each others' Short Lists.

You don't need to feel sorry for yourself for not seeing OYS or RYS. If you were shopping for a house, you probably would have passed on OYS or RYS based on the work required, the (lack of) amenities, and the plumbing conditions, to name a few... True value of a house cannot be determined unless it is witnessed in use; owners wouldn't be home when you went to visit. It's never just the ballpark itself, but the fans in attendance during a given game that make it what it is. They have to work together. When you finally get to New York, I hope you can take in a game when not only the team on the field, but the fans in attendance, make the game a historic or memorable one.

Me, I didnít like the postseason atmosphere. I hate it when some drunk guy stands up with two strikes on the first batter of the game, and waves and screams for the whole section to stand up. Rest of the damn game, I have to stand up the whole time. Amateurs who havenít been to the Stadium more than a couple of times all year are telling me how to root? Please. Let me sit in my seat on meaningless situations.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Me, I didnít like the postseason atmosphere. I hate it when some drunk guy stands up with two strikes on the first batter of the game, and waves and screams for the whole section to stand up. .
    Oh man, you got that right. I can't stand it when you get that one moron who thinks it's his job to tell everybody to stand up.

On the other hand, I gotta admit that you see more people actually watching the game, and fewer people on their smart phones, at the postseason games.
    "Any day is a good day when you can play baseball."

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    Oh man, you got that right. I can't stand it when you get that one moron who thinks it's his job to tell everybody to stand up.

On the other hand, I gotta admit that you see more people actually watching the game, and fewer people on their smart phones, at the postseason games.
    Yeah, that could be.

Oh, I was also at the Reggie Bar game. That was a great crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Did you run on the field? (and tear it apart?)
    Nah, my brother and I were sitting near the back of the mezzanine in short right field. I remember seeing John Mayberry trying to get to the visitorís dugout, running with his elbows flying. Some fan got too close and was knocked flat. We got out of there.

As a young boy, My Dad took me to Game 3 of the 1964 World Series, I still talk about it to this day. My only World Series game and Mickey Mantle hit a walk off home run to break the Babe Ruth's record for home runs in World Series. We sat in right field and I remember that ball going over my head to win the game! Thanks Dad, I miss you.

Game 3
    Saturday, October 10, 1964 1:00 pm (ET) at Yankee Stadium in Bronx, New York
    Team 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    St. Louis 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 6 0
    New York 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 5 2
    WP: Jim Bouton (1–0) LP: Barney Schultz (0–1)
    Home runs:
    STL: None
    NYY: Mickey Mantle (1)
    Curt Simmons and Jim Bouton were both very effective. Simmons got 17 ground-ball outs. Bouton stranded the go-ahead run four times and held the top five hitters in the Cardinal lineup to a 2 for 21 day.

In the bottom of the ninth, Mickey Mantle reached deep for one of the last ounces of Yankees magic. With the game tied at one, Mantle, the leadoff hitter, told on-deck hitter Elston Howard to go back to the clubhouse because he was going to hit a home run. Mantle swung at the first pitch from Cardinal pitcher Barney Schultz, a knuckleball that failed to move, and hit it into the right field stands to win the game for the Yankees. Schultz had been a mainstay of the Cardinals' stretch run and Yankee scouting reports had advised his knuckler was most vulnerable on the first pitch when he threw harder than usual to try for a strike. Mantle's home run (his sixteenth Series home run) broke Babe Ruth's record for most home runs hit in World Series play.

And, I was at the Aaron Boone game with my 2 daughters.

I was hoping to go to 3 more World Series games next week with my entire family but 6-0 this post season after being down 0-3 in the first inning of the Wild Card game was AWESOME, not one game but a historic/significant 2 weeks.

'01 Mr. November/Paulie's final game
    If you had to pick one world series game to be able to attend this would be on the short list. As of now it's the only one I've ever been to. Witnessing perhaps Derek Jeter's finest moment and saying goodbye to The Warrior Paul O'Neil was more than I could ask for as a fan.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6jWXg6or

If I am not mistaken, that game was the next to last for Paulie. I was at the game following the one you reference, the second miracle comeback game vs the Diamonbacks. That game was the one where Brosius hit the 2 out HR vs Kim and was won by Soriano knocking in Knoublach fro second base.

Top baker's dozen in no particular order...

1. Unbelievable catch in the left field stands by Tom Tresh to save the game vs White Sox in the top of the 9th, followed with a lead off HR to win the game in the bottom.

2. Aforementioned game 5 of the 2001 World Series.

3. Clincher vs the Phils in 2009.

4. Teix winning the playoff game vs Minny with homer in 2009

5. Clincher vs Angels in ALCS in 2009

6. Mickey goes 5 for 5 in first game of DH vs Washinton in his final year. Hit 2 homers.

7. Last game at old YS in 2008.

8. DH where Bobby Murcer hit 4 consecutive homers.

9. Twilight DH vs Boston where 2nd game went 19 innings won by Horace Clarke single.

10. First game that Munson ever played for Yanks after being called up in 1969

11. DH vs Indians in 1964 where Mantle hits HR into upper deck in RF - batting right handed! 2nd game was Luis Tiant's debut and he shut Yanks out.

12. Game 1 of 1995 playoff vs Seattle

13. Witnessed Jeter's one and only grand slam vs Cubs

NYYF Cy Young

1. Chambliss HR 1976
    2. 1977 WS Game 1 (first WS victory since 1964)
    3. Final game of 1978 ALCS
    4. Mickey Mantle and Joe D days (new monuments)
    5. Cone's perfect game
    6. Game 1 of 1998 WS
    7. Clinching game 4 of 1999 WS
    8. Game 2 of 2000 WS
    9. Game 5 of 2001 WS
    10. Jeter's only grand slam
    11. Final game old YS
    12. Opening day 2009
    13. Game 1 2009 WS
    14. Jeter's 3,000th hit
    15. Judge's 1st grand slam

Oh, I was also there for Judgeís HR to the back of the bleachers behind the bullpen. Holy crap.

And last year, Judge and Austin hitting back-to-back HRs in their first ML at-bats.

In no order

1. Game 5 of 2001 World Series. Wild game. I also found a ticket drop on TM the night before the game which is how I went.
    2. Game 6 of 2009 World Series.
    3. Game 1 ALDS in 2009 first playoff game in new stadium.
    4. Opening Day 2008 in old stadium.
    5. My final game in old stadium which was 3-4 days before the final game.
    6. Final Old Timers Day in old place.
    7. Jeter a final game
    8. Mariano's final game.
    9. August 7 2009 Shut out until the 15th inning and A rod hit it out.
    10. Jeter ties Gehrig for hits.
    11. Tuesday night come down from 4-0 to win game 4 ALCS.

Not as interesting as others here.

Me, I didnít like the postseason atmosphere. I hate it when some drunk guy stands up with two strikes on the first batter of the game, and waves and screams for the whole section to stand up. Rest of the damn game, I have to stand up the whole time. Amateurs who havenít been to the Stadium more than a couple of times all year are telling me how to root? Please. Let me sit in my seat on meaningless situations.
    So may I ask what would be your ideal post-season atmosphere?

I would feel down if the vibe in the crowd felt like a tennis or golf match.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    '01 Mr. November/Paulie's final game
    If you had to pick one world series game to be able to attend this would be on the short list. As of now it's the only one I've ever been to. Witnessing perhaps Derek Jeter's finest moment and saying goodbye to The Warrior Paul O'Neil was more than I could ask for as a fan.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6jWXg6or

If I am not mistaken, that game was the next to last for Paulie. I was at the game following the one you reference, the second miracle comeback game vs the Diamonbacks. That game was the one where Brosius hit the 2 out HR vs Kim and was won by Soriano knocking in Knoublach fro second base.
    Dammit, you're right. Now I'm confused because I thought the Brosius HR was the same game and I'm pretty sure I saw the Brosius HR but at the same time I'm sure I was there on Halloween night. Maybe I went to both? I don't think so. DAMN my memory sucks! I have the ticket stubs somewhere. I'm going to have to check.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

The Jeter homerun was in the game that started on Halloween and ran past midnight. It was the first MLB game ever to be played at least in part in November. And that is why Derek Jeter is ... Mr. November.

That was Game Four. Game Five was the next day, November 1, and that was the one with the Brosius home run.

Last two games of the series were on November 3rd and 4th, in Arizona. Just as in this year's ALCS, the home team won every game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_World_Series

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    The Jeter homerun was in the game that started on Halloween and ran past midnight. It was the first MLB game ever to be played at least in part in November. And that is why Derek Jeter is ... Mr. November.

That was Game Four. Game Five was the next day, November 1, and that was the one with the Brosius home run.

Last two games of the series were on November 3rd and 4th, in Arizona. Just as in this year's ALCS, the home team won every game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_World_Series

Oh, yeah, I'm very aware of how it all went down - I'm just having trouble remembering which game, or games, I went to!
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

I also forgot to list...

Opening Day 2008 - first game at the new YS.

First game @ Yankee Stadium after 9/11. Not sure of the date but it looks like it was 9/25/2001.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

With ticket and related costs, I would never have been able to afford to have gone to the number of games I went to, back in the day, but I have been extremely fortunate to have attended a number of historic games (never went to YS I; all of my games have been either in the renovated old Stadium or the new one):

1993 - Reggie Jackson Day (he was inducted into the HOF that year, and one of my favorite players from the late '70s).

1998 -Last day of the regular season, with Bernie Williams winning the batting title that year and celebrating the incredible season that year. I also believe that was Joe DiMaggio's last appearance at the Stadium.

1998= WS Game 1 -Tino's grand slam; also was there for Game 2.

1999- Joe DiMaggio Day.

1999- David Cone's perfect game (was also Yogi Berra Day, Don Larsen was in attendance, and it was Joe Torres' birthday (7/18), who also was in attendance in 1956 for Don Larsen's perfect WS game). I was so thrilled to be able to see a perfect game, since they're so rare.

1999- WS Games 3 and 4 (first time I saw a clinching WS game).

2001 - Games 3-5, WS. Games 4 and 5 especially were very dramatic and emotional.

2003 - Game 7--one of the most dramatic and exciting games I've seen. I think that series was so epic and draining that it seemed like the WS was almost anti-climatic, which in my opinion contributed to the Marlins' WS victory (which I also saw).

2008 - All-Star Game (nearly six hours!)

2008 - Last game at OYS.

2009 - Opening Day new YS.

2009 - Game 6 WS (my second clinching WS game!)

2011 (Fenway) - saw Mussina and Cone battling it out for a perfecto, with Carl Everett breaking it up with 2 outs in the 9th inning. This was Labor Day weekend.

2011- First game at WS after 9/11.

2013 - Rivera's last game; Pettitte's last home game.

2014- Joe Torre Day.

2014 - Jeter's last game.

2016- Mariano Rivera's plaque dedication.

2017 - Derek Jeter Day.

I'm lucky to have some great memories from these events!

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    So may I ask what would be your ideal post-season atmosphere?

I would feel down if the vibe in the crowd felt like a tennis or golf match.
    I want a crowd thatís up and screaming when thereís something to be up and screaming about. The rest of the time there can be plenty of noise and cheering, but Iíd like to stay in my seat if I want.

I can also do without the ďASS-HOLEĒ chants directed at any fan wearing the opposing teamís paraphernalia.

I want a crowd thatís up and screaming when thereís something to be up and screaming about. The rest of the time there can be plenty of noise and cheering, but Iíd like to stay in my seat if I want.

I can also do without the ďASS-HOLEĒ chants directed at any fan wearing the opposing teamís paraphernalia.
    JL25and3, I totally agree with you on this! (The same thing often happens at concerts, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by njyankeesfan View Post
    JL25and3, I totally agree with you on this! (The same thing often happens at concerts, too.)
    Agreed. A two strike cheer for the first opposing batter is a joke. I enjoy them, and become part of them, when a pitcher is attempting to get out of a jam, or is mowing down the opposition and pitching a masterpiece.

I reserve the ass-hole chants for opposing fans who end up in fisticuffs.

There is a time and a place for everything. It's just that many can't agree when that time and place is...

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post

There is a time and a place for everything. It's just that many can't agree when that time and place is...
    dstoffa, agree with you on the above. In the old Stadium, they had a couple of Tier Reserve sections that were alcohol-free (only meaning the vendors didn't walk around the section selling beer, but there was really no way you could prevent people from going out to the concourse and buying beer and bringing it back themselves) which I actually preferred because much of the rowdy behavior is alcohol fueled, and it was nice not to have to deal with that, and just be able to watch the game!

Thread Information