+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Historic/Significant Games You've Attended

I've been thinking about the games that I've been to over the years and wanted to chronicle the ones that stood out in some way. I figured why not do it here and make it a fun exercise for others as well.

List below the historic and/or significant games that you've been to over the course of your life as a Yankee fan. I know my list will pale in comparison to many, especially some of the old timers, but I think I've been pretty lucky over the years considering that I've never been a season ticket holder or anything like that. FWIW, I tried to avoid including games like "One time I went to a game and Jose Canseco hit a homerun it was awesome lulz" but feel free to include whatever you want! (I also didn't embed the videos purposely so as not to make the post a mile long.)

8/30/1979 - First game after Thruman Munson's death.
    I was 7 years old and couldn't completely appreciate what was happening but I distinctly remember turning to my grandfather during the standing ovation to ask him why everyone was standing for so long. He explained. And then the Yankees lost 1-0 which was probably more upsetting to me than anything else at the time. But...I WAS THERE.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Yhptax06I
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...97908030.shtml

8/19/85 - Ken Griffey Sr. Makes Ridiculous Catch
    This one is a bit on the personal side but I'm including it because it ties in to a game I attended years later that did have historical significance. So, I'm at this game with my grandparents and sister. My grandfather was a typical old-time New Yorker who was probably a Dodgers or Giants fan (I never really found out for sure) and then just became a Mets/NL fan by default. Even though he never openly rooted for any particular team or even against the Yankees specifically he'd often say things like "Eh, they've got the game in the bag" if they had even the smallest lead in, like, the 7th inning. It was infuriating. So, we're at this game and at some point late in the game Yanks have the lead and he says "Eh, this game is over" and proceeds to lobby for us to leave early so we can beat the traffic. My sister and I (aged 9 and 13 respectively) did not want to leave but we eventually relented. Just after we get outside the stadium we hear the crowd ROAR. I mean, it was LOUD even from outside. We didn't know what had happened but then we got home and saw this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bIpGgMr99M
    ...and from that day forward I vowed to NEVER leave a game early ever again. And I never did. Until...

5/17/02 - Jason Giambi Walk-off GS
    So, throughout the years, I was the driver to all of the games we attended. It didn't matter how many people we were with or who got the tickets or whatever - if we were going, I was driving. Until this ONE GAME. My good friend had just bought a van. It was a sweet custom van and he volunteered to drive us all to the game that night. I didn't like it. I didn't like it one bit. But the van...it was so sweet. Like, the only thing that could have made it sweeter would be if it had playboy mudflaps. Anyway, we get to the Stadium and everything is moving along nicely and then it starts to rain. So there's a rain delay...and then extra innings. It's getting later and later and my friend who drove is getting antsy to leave. It was a weeknight, after all, and he had to work the next day (as did the rest of us but, you know, he was driving so he's the boss). We held out until the Twins scored 3 runs in the top of the 14th. I always wear a walkman when I go to games so I can listen to the radio broadcast so as we're walking to the parking lot I hear that one guy gets on. We get into the van...another guy gets on. We pull out of the lot...another guy gets on. We pull onto the Deegan...and then this happens...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQrVrAZSQaY
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00205170.shtml

Now, I had been to countless games - ranging from awesome to terrible - from the day I missed that Griffey Sr. catch in 1985 up to that point and I never missed an inning. The ONE TIME I leave early and I miss that historic homerun. At the time it was only the second walk-off grand slam in Yankees history. The other one? Babe Ruth in 1925. Needless to say, I've never let my friend live that moment down and I've never left a game early since.

6/15/92 - Jeff Reardon breaks all-time saves record (@ Fenway)
    First and only time I attended a game at Fenway. The only scoring happened on a Phil Plantier HR that I missed because I was on line getting food (Yanks lost 1-0). And even though I had no interest in witnessing the celebration of anything Red Sox-related it was pretty cool to be there for this minor historic moment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMcHAmAim2k

ALDS '95 - Mattingly's final HR
    Nothing I need to add here except that it was my first ever playoff game. When Donnie hit that HR I turned to my friend and said "We probably just saw the last HR he'll ever hit here."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usRc2iAg8gI

'96 - Division Clincher
    Got to the Stadium halfway through the game basically just to be there to witness the clinching. Torre brought in Jeff Nelson to close it out to which many people credit Nellie's success in the subsequent postseason and beyond. I still remember the confetti. What a moment!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L80LRhNEwxM

'98 - Orioles Brawl
    Sat on the third base side, maybe the Loge section. That was a wild moment. I can still feel the adrenaline rush...like I was in the fight myself.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI34nJlkLk0

6/17/99 - Triple Play (Rangers)
    According to b-r.com there have been 698 triple plays turned since 1876. Not super rare but pretty cool nonetheless to have witnessed one in person.
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...99906170.shtml

9/10/1999 - Pedro 17 Ks
    As much as I hate the Red Sox I walked out of the Stadium that night in total awe. What a performance. Loved watching him pitch but mostly because we usually beat him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4osTw6HVLAk
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...99909100.shtml

10/15/2001 - ALDS Jeter flies into stands
    Everyone knows the play from the game in 2004 but this one happened first. It was a rare game for me in that I was sitting in fair territory about as far away from that play as possible. We gave Mulder an earful that night!
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...00110150.shtml
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwn1DpZ7lSA

'01 Mr. November/Paulie's final game
    If you had to pick one world series game to be able to attend this would be on the short list. As of now it's the only one I've ever been to. Witnessing perhaps Derek Jeter's finest moment and saying goodbye to The Warrior Paul O'Neil was more than I could ask for as a fan.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6jWXg6orGQ

'04 Bloody Sock/ARod glove slap
    Ugh.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxPNcrvR46Q

6/17/1978 - Guidry K's 18
    This one is at the bottom of the list because I'm not 100% sure I was there. I would have been 6 years old and all of my memories of Yankee Stadium from the 70s are pretty blurry. At any rate, I'm going to list it anyway.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKyxSiTZjO8
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...97806170.shtml

Thanks for reading!
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

Re: Historic/Significant Games You've Attended

I guess it's historic but it's not something memorable unfortunately. I was there at the old stadium for game 6 of the World Series in 2003 which I believe is the last World Series game played there.

blech...

Sadly I think it's

-Billy Martin starting Rick Rhoden at DH

-Bob Geren's major league debut

NYYF Legend

My list is pretty dismal. Some pretty good games, a gem by Wang against the Os, for example, but only two that are historic:

-I was at the '98 Benitez brawl as well. I was sitting in the front row loge next to the loge camera by first base with a great view straight into the Orioles dugout where a lot of the action happened. I had my 10x50 binos right on Graham LLoyd as he took his shots.

-I was also at the 22-0 loss to the Indians in 2004. No further comment other than to say I stayed for the whole thing.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

2001 - pennant clinching game against Seattle

2004 - ALCS games 6 and 7 against Boston

2009 - WS clinching game 6 against Philly

2017 - ALCS game 4 against Houston

NYYF Legend

I'll respond to this later. I have a lot of significant games that I attended. Sadly none have been a postseason game. I am a simple person with a big family and could not afford them

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    My list is pretty dismal.
    My "historic" list is pretty dismal too. Closest I guess is, I was at the first win in the new YS, 6-5 over Cleveland in 2009. Brian Bruney got the win and Mariano navigated a tense 9th for the save.

I also was in the park last year for Aaron Judge's first MLB home run, which I predict someday will be a fairly historic game to say you were at.

I saw Bucky Dent hit into a triple play (1981) and Enrique Wilson hit a grand slam (2003). Both kind of historic in their own ways. I saw Ken Phelps ("My baseball people kept saying ken Phelps, Ken Phelps") lead a 5-run comeback to beat Dennis Eckersley in 1988.

I saw an EvanJ-style "historic" game in 2000, the Yanks scored 5 in the 9th to tie the Phillies, Mo gave up a 2-run homer in the top of the 10th, then the Yankees scored 3 in the bottom of the 10th to win. Someone on the news at the time said it was the first time since about 1930 that a team scored 5 or more in the bottom of the 9th to tie, gave up multiple runs in one inning in EI, then won in the bottom of that inning.

Not historic but I liked it: Memorial Day, 1980 vs. Tigers, the Tiggs walked Graig Nettles intentionally 3 times to get to Rick Cerone, RBI singles each of the first two times, then a grand slam on the 3rd one to seal a 13-5 win. After the game, Sparky Anderson said he'd do it all over again. Just shut up Sparky.

Remember that Saturday afternoon Wang threw like 7.2 perfect innings...I was there. props if you actually remember the game I'm talking about. I really thought he had a shot
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

I was at the last game of the original (pre-remodel) Yankees stadium. That's about it.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

If memorable is a thing, my first Yankee game in 18 years was when Chris Carter dropped that easy throw and CC got hurt, starting the summer swoon.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gregzzy22 View Post
    Remember that Saturday afternoon Wang threw like 7.2 perfect innings...I was there. props if you actually remember the game I'm talking about. I really thought he had a shot
    Against the Mariners I think.

Here's another non-historic historic one: I was at the game in St. Pete in 2009 when Xavier Nady blew out his arm lobbing a ball back to the infield, opening the door for Nick Swisher to be the rightfielder. Nick had pitched the night before in a blowout loss, obviously they wouldn't have pitched him if they'd known how tenuous Nady's situation was. A.J. Burnett threw 6 no-hit innings that night and Jeter turned it into a rout with a 3-run homer in the 9th. We didn't know Nady was hurt until the next day.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I was at the last game of the original (pre-remodel) Yankees stadium. That's about it.
    I was at that game as well.

Also the first game ever at the present Yankee Stadium (thanks to Stick Michael, the forumer, not Gene - who used to post here), the exhibition game.

Also had tickets to the game on 9/10/01, which was then played a week later, so I was at the first game after 9/11 (scary, a bit).

...and I was at the 9/25/96 double header where Ruben Rivera blew out his arm and the Yankees won the game 19-2 to clinch the AL East.

I've never been to a post season game.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Also had tickets to the game on 9/10/01, which was then played a week later, so I was at the first game after 9/11 (scary, a bit).
    That was supposed to be Roger Clemens trying to go to 20-1 on the 4th game of a weekend wraparound series with the Red Sox, but it rained ... I thought that game was never made up?

NYYF Legend

I attended the Game 5 of the 2005 ALDS in Anaheim.

Also attended the Dodgers-Giants Steve Finley Grand Slam game to win the division in 2004.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

I was in Baltimore for game 5 of the 96 ALCS vs the Orioles. Never been to a World Series game but an ALCS clincher is almost as good.
    Last edited by Hitman23; 10-21-17 at 11:31 AM.
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

NYYF Legend

I don't go to that many games in person ... the only one that comes to mind was significant in a bad way. It was Game One of the 2012 ALCS. Yankees were shut out through eight innings as the Tigers took a 4-0 lead. Amazingly, they scored four in the bottom of the ninth to tie it, on two two-run homers, by Ichiro and Raul Ibanez. Got to win this one now, right?

Wrong. Tigers scored one in the top of the twelfth ... six pitches later Derek Jeter broke his ankle trying to field a grounder, and the Tigers shortly afterwards added an insurance run. Yankees went down one two three in the bottom of the twelfth. They only scored two runs in the whole rest of the series. And Derek Jeter never played in another playoff game.

I've seen games in 53 different stadiums and some of the "historic" events that I've seen have occurred in other ballparks:

1976 in Kansas City. George Brett executes a walk off straight steal of home to beat the Indians 4-3 (10).

1991 in Houston. Astros turn 9-5-6 triple play against the Dodgers.

1991 in Baltimore. Wilson Alvarez (CHW) throws a no-hitter at the O's in his second Major League start. (I also attended Alvarez' first Major League start for the Rangers in Arlington in 1989.)

1993 in Denver. Largest crowd (72,208) for an NL night game (since broken).

1999 in Tampa. Wade Boggs records 3000th career hit (HR) vs. Indians.

2005 in Houston. Longest ever World Series game by innings (14 (tied)) and time (5:41).

2008 in New York. Longest ever All-Star game by innings (15 (tied)) and time (4:50).

2009 in New York. First regular season game played in new Yankee Stadium.

2009 in New York. Derek Jeter breaks Lou Gehrig's Yankee club record for hits (2722).

2009 in New York. Games 1 and 2 of World Series vs. Phillies.

2013 in Houston. Final career game for Mariano Rivera (DNP). Astros set Major League record for most strikeouts in a season (by batters) (1535).

2014 in Sydney, Australia. Sydney Cricket Ground becomes oldest stadium to host a regular season Major League game.

2014 in Anaheim. Angels use a Major League record eight pitchers in a nine inning shutout vs A's.

2014 in New York. Final career game played for Derek Jeter.

2017 in Oakland. Angels use an American League record 12 pitchers in win over A's.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

I was there for Phil Rizzutto day when he was given a cow as a present (in remembrance of his famous saying "Holy Cow"). Phil then slipped in one of the cow's deposits. It was also the day that Tom Seaver won his 300th game for the white Sox.

I was also there for Yogi Berra's day when Dave Cone pitched his perfecto.
    I was at a 1950's Sunday doubleheader when Vic Raschi pitched a one hitter in the opener and Allie Reynolds pitched a two hitter in the second game.

Many others to remember.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

I've seen the last outs of the 1996, 2000, and 2015 World Series.

I saw the Rockies first game ever played.

I saw Black Jack give us the finger in 1995.

I saw the first two modern ALDS games at the renovated ballpark in '95.

I saw Mlicki's curve ball drop two feet from a seat in the RF the bleachers at the first Subway Series game.

I saw Jeffrey Maier reach over the wall from a seat in the LF bleachers.

I saw Bobby Jones win a game in Fenway, where the only run scored was on a balk.

I saw the Mets, two back with three to play, win out their three games at Shea to force a once game play-off in Cincinnati. The last pitch to Piazza was wild.

I saw Todd Pratt end the Diamondback's season in 1999.

I saw Robin Ventura hit the Grand Slam Single in the next series. That was a long day.

I saw Benny Agbayani end Game 3 in 13, and Bobby Jones pitch a one-hitter the next day to win the 2000 NLDS.

I saw the Mets win the 2000 NL Pennant. I never felt a stadium bounce as much as that day (function of seat location is a big factor).

I saw Tino tie it, and Jeter win it, with the long ball, in 2001. (from the bleachers again)

I saw the last ML game played featuring the Montreal Expos.

But probably the weirdest thing I saw at a ballpark was at the renovated Stadium... Maybe it was the beer, or maybe the herb, but I witnessed the foul pole climbing contest. One fan decided to climb the foul pole in left. So as security tries to stop this, another fan starts climbing the pole in right. Crazy... I may have forgotten who went up first, but at the end, all I could think about was the end of "Ventriloquist Cat" where the cat (meow meow) is stuck on a telephone pole between a pack of dogs at the bottom and his "victim" at the top.. I kept saying, "Where are these guys expecting to go?"
    Last edited by dstoffa; 10-21-17 at 04:33 PM.

I saw the Griffey catch, the Giambi grand slam, and Phil Rizzuto Day. I saw Doyle Alexander pitch a 7-inning perfect game and an 8-inning no-hitter, using the entire ballpark and relying on his outfielders both times. I’ve been to a bunch of postseason games, and I’m sure I’m missing some.

But most of all, I saw the Chambliss game.

Devoted Member

Tip of the cap to Ram Man and dstoffa for the good stuff you have seen.

I was lucky enough to have seen both Carl Yastrzemski's 3000th hit (Fenway 1979) and Derek Jeter's 3000th hit (NYS 2011). My two favorite players of their eras. I have the ticket stubs from both games in little frames. Got lucky on both. For the Yaz game, a guy called me at 3:00 that afternoon to give me his box seat tickets for free if I could get to Boston (2-hour drive) for the game. For the Jeter game, he had 2998 hits after Thursday, the Friday game got rained out, and I had tickets for Saturday when he did it.

Also saw my first World Series game, thereby removing that from my bucket list, Game 2 in 2009.

I still have never seen a no-hitter. I was at that game that gregzzy22 mentioned above, where Wang took a perfect game into the 8th. After the 6th inning, the guy who I was sitting with called everybody he knew and told then to turn on their TV. Ben Broussard homered with one out in the 8th to break it up.
    "Any day is a good day when you can play baseball."

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I saw the Griffey catch, the Giambi grand slam, and Phil Rizzuto Day. I saw Doyle Alexander pitch a 7-inning perfect game and an 8-inning no-hitter, using the entire ballpark and relying on his outfielders both times. I’ve been to a bunch of postseason games, and I’m sure I’m missing some.

But most of all, I saw the Chambliss game.
    Did you run on the field? (and tear it apart?)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    Tip of the cap to Ram Man and dstoffa for the good stuff you have seen.

I was lucky enough to have seen both Carl Yastrzemski's 3000th hit (Fenway 1979) and Derek Jeter's 3000th hit (NYS 2011). My two favorite players of their eras. I have the ticket stubs from both games in little frames. Got lucky on both. For the Yaz game, a guy called me at 3:00 that afternoon to give me his box seat tickets for free if I could get to Boston (2-hour drive) for the game. For the Jeter game, he had 2998 hits after Thursday, the Friday game got rained out, and I had tickets for Saturday when he did it.

Also saw my first World Series game, thereby removing that from my bucket list, Game 2 in 2009.

I still have never seen a no-hitter. I was at that game that gregzzy22 mentioned above, where Wang took a perfect game into the 8th. After the 6th inning, the guy who I was sitting with called everybody he knew and told then to turn on their TV. Ben Broussard homered with one out in the 8th to break it up.
    I was at the stadium the day BEFORE Wells perfect game, one day before Cone’s perfect game and one day before ARod’s 600th homer.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

NYYF Legend

Was there in 1982 for Reggie’s first game back and the crowd chanted “Steinbrenner sucks”. In 1986 I was at a Yankee Red Sox game, Spike Owen and Jim Rice collided down the left field line and a fan stole Rice’s cap and then Rice and most of the Red Sox team went in the crowd and got it back. Playoff game in 1997 when Jeter, Raines and O’Neill hit consecutive homers. The upper deck. Game 5 of the 2001 ALDS when Yanks came back down 0-2 to Oakland to win. At the Stadium when Bonds not the ball 3/4 up the upper deck in right. Joe DiMaggio’s Last appearance at Yankee Stadium.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

This is a great thread I will definitely enjoy. It does however make me so jealous.

I have been to 2 Yankee games in my life and both of them were the same day in TX in 2007. Moose and Pettite started the games. Moose was just coming back from an injury but pitched well. We were sitting right next to the Yankees bullpen and Mo pitched in both games. Giambi hit one out and Jeter almost hit one that my drunk self almost fell out of the stands trying to catch.

I wanted to go to OYS so bad and one day I will make it to NYS.

Keep the stories coming
    "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

I love baseball in general and the Yankees just happen to be my favorite team since I knew what baseball was.

Thread Information