+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Thumbs up Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Suggested pitching rotation with reasoning:

    Game 1- Tanaka -Throw out regular season stats as he is a gamer, his last two starts have been vintage Tanaka, and besides Sevy is the only other Starter with lights out stuff when he is on). This game would also line up for normal rest which is big for him. With that said, you short leash him and bring in Gray or Montgomery if it looks like he is off. The case against Gray starting: Houston offense is circular (strong top to bottom) and Gray's stuff isn't nearly as dominant as Tanaka's can be. In baseball, the unexpected can happen but if we pitch Gray here we are likely giving up a few runs (I would guess 3+) in his 5-6 innings of work. Against Kuechel that may put us in a tough spot. This also slates Tanaka to pitch game 4 at the Stadium and be available game 7 if needed. When you add up all the factors together it's a very strong case for Tanaka here over anyone else.

    Game 2- Severino. Luis bounced back amazingly after being too amped in his first ever post season start at the stadium. He has shown all year when he is on he is a shut down pitcher and the best pitcher on this team. This game would put him on normal rest and not put the added Game 1 pressure in him as well. All playoff games of course are pressure cookers but as a young pitcher sometimes it's good to see a vet teammate go out in game 1 in a hostile environment, experience and mentally process it on the bench, and then follow suit in game 2. This also puts him in line for game 5 and perhaps an emergency role in game 7 (with all hands on deck).

    Game 3- CC. CC is at this point a wily vet with tons of guile. He also is a gamer. He isn't ever going to give us 7 innings but is a great play in game 3 in front of the home crowd with our loaded bullpen ready to take over once he tires. Girardi should have taken him out sooner in game 5 vs the Indians because his stuff clearly flattened out and the bottom of the order was getting the barrell squarely on almost all his offerings. If he took him out after the 1st two got on , we likely get out of that inning with 0 runs given up. Hopefully Joe has finally learned his lesson with a stacked bullpen like ours not to wait too long and know when your pitchers stuff has 'dropped' off or doesn't have it from the get go.

    Game 4- Gray. The one unfortunate thing here is he has a long lay-off but this disadvantage is outweighed by so many other factors discussed previously. He also may get some work in game 1 if Tanaka doesn't have it. Gray has the weakest stuff of the 3 other options and the least post game experience (counting Tanak's postgame experience in Japan) , so I have little issue with him only getting one scheduled start in the series with the availability for long relief in games 1 and 7 depending on score and situation.

    Game 5- Tanaka - With him pitching game 1, he still gets another start at home on normal rest where he's been fantastic most of the year.

    Game 6-Severino. Pitching game 2 puts him in-line for game 6 on the road.

    Game 7- CC. All hands on deck here. CC with the short hook and you hope he gives you 4-5 innings of 2 or less runs. If he pitches like he did in game 5 it's very possible.


    Feel free to post your comments on above or your own version of the rotation with your reasons behind the decisions! Go Yanks!!!

  2. #2

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Agreed. This is exactly what I posted 3 minutes after the game ended last night in the ALDS thread.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

  3. #3

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    I like everything but giving Gray that long off. He might be useless in a pivotal game 4. I think Gray has to start game 1 or game 2.

    Tanaka/Gray
    Gray/Tanaka

    Severino
    CC
    Tanaka/Gray

    Gray/Tanaka
    Severino

  4. #4

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Given the recently announced news about games 1-4, this is likely the correct order.

    Good call

  5. #5

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by a yankeesfan View Post
    Given the recently announced news about games 1-4, this is likely the correct order.

    Good call
    Missed it. What news is that?

  6. #6

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    I like everything but giving Gray that long off. He might be useless in a pivotal game 4. I think Gray has to start game 1 or game 2.

    Tanaka/Gray
    Gray/Tanaka

    Severino
    CC
    Tanaka/Gray

    Gray/Tanaka
    Severino
    Not enough value gained in pitching our 4th best option first just so he doesn't have a long time off. That's pushing your 3 better options back. The disadvantages greatly outweighs the advantage you gain for reasons listed in the OP. And whoever pitches game 3 can't pitch 2x unless we get to game 7. That's one of Sev orTanaka. Trade off not worth it. Besides Gray can throw an extended BP session to get work in between and-or could come in for Tanaka game 1.

  7. #7

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    Not enough value gained in pitching our 4th best option first just so he doesn't have a long time off. That's pushing your 3 better options back. The disadvantages greatly outweighs the advantage you gain for reasons listed in the OP. And whoever pitches game 3 can't pitch 2x unless we get to game 7. That's one of Sev orTanaka. Trade off not worth it. Besides Gray can throw an extended BP session to get work in between and-or could come in for Tanaka game 1.
    The writing was on the wall when the yankees chose CC Sabathia over Sonny Gray.

    If sonny Gray Pitched like a 1 or a 2 down the stretch, No doubt he would have been last nights starter
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

  8. #8

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    The writing was on the wall when the yankees chose CC Sabathia over Sonny Gray.

    If sonny Gray Pitched like a 1 or a 2 down the stretch, No doubt he would have been last nights starter
    True that Irish. IMO, Sonny Gray is ideally a solid 3-4 on a championship caliber pitching staff. He simply does not have shutdown stuff. Sev and Tanaka when on do. CC is all guile and guts at this point but has enough big gamer and vet savy in him to pitch like an ace for 4-5 innings.

  9. #9

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    True that Irish. IMO, Sonny Gray is ideally a solid 3-4 on a championship caliber pitching staff. He simply does not have shutdown stuff. Sev and Tanaka when on do. CC is all guile and guts at this point but has enough big gamer and vet savy in him to pitch like an ace for 4-5 innings.
    IMO, he has the stuff, but not the mentality. He nibbles way too much just off the plate (although the ump last night would have been perfect for him as he was calling them strikes). He waits till its too late to throw good strikes and by that time its a hitters count and the hitter can square it up. They need to get to him about that and get him to become more aggressive. His ball movement though is undeniable.

  10. #10

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    IMO, he has the stuff, but not the mentality. He nibbles way too much just off the plate (although the ump last night would have been perfect for him as he was calling them strikes). He waits till its too late to throw good strikes and by that time its a hitters count and the hitter can square it up. They need to get to him about that and get him to become more aggressive. His ball movement though is undeniable.
    Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    True that Irish. IMO, Sonny Gray is ideally a solid 3-4 on a championship caliber pitching staff. He simply does not have shutdown stuff. Sev and Tanaka when on do. CC is all guile and guts at this point but has enough big gamer and vet savy in him to pitch like an ace for 4-5 innings.
    Gray has shown glimpses in the past AND has pitched well in big games, Unfortuantely He is not pitching well right now. The capability is there, Maybe Hell dominate in game 4.

    Fact is like Baby Bombers said, he nibbles
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

  11. #11

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    I don't like that long layoff for Gray. I would have given him Game 1 or 3 TBH.

  12. #12

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Gray has shown glimpses in the past AND has pitched well in big games, Unfortuantely He is not pitching well right now. The capability is there, Maybe Hell dominate in game 4.

    Fact is like Baby Bombers said, he nibbles
    Yeah I guess your right Irish. He has shown flashes but he does nibble quite a bit. Perhaps it's a Mental make up thing right now which hopefully can improve under Rothschild. I still don't think at his best though he would have better pure stuff than with Sevvy or Tanaka when they are at the top of their games.

  13. #13

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    Yeah I guess your right Irish. He has shown flashes but he does nibble quite a bit. Perhaps it's a Mental make up thing right now which hopefully can improve under Rothschild. I still don't think at his best though he would have better pure stuff than with Sevvy or Tanaka when they are at the top of their games.
    When Gray was in Oakland, and throwing his top shelf stuff, he was an Ace. The problem is he wasnt that pitcher as much as he should have been. Injuries did play their part in that too though. I do think Tanaka and Severino have the higher ceiling when they are all dealing.

  14. #14

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
    Yeah I guess your right Irish. He has shown flashes but he does nibble quite a bit. Perhaps it's a Mental make up thing right now which hopefully can improve under Rothschild. I still don't think at his best though he would have better pure stuff than with Sevvy or Tanaka when they are at the top of their games.
    I have 0 hope of anyone improving under rothschild
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

  15. #15

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Yankee Fan View Post
    I don't like that long layoff for Gray. I would have given him Game 1 or 3 TBH.
    I think he has a simulated game in between, not that it makes that much of a difference, but it's something.

    Gray is the least effective of the four right now, so he needs to be "hidden" to some degree.

  16. #16

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    I like Tanaka over Gray in game one solely because he is more likely to give us depth than Gray and I don't want the back-end guys having to pitch a lot in game 1 when they have a whole series in front of them and were used heavily to close out the last series.

  17. #17

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by 51 View Post
    I like Tanaka over Gray in game one solely because he is more likely to give us depth than Gray and I don't want the back-end guys having to pitch a lot in game 1 when they have a whole series in front of them and were used heavily to close out the last series.
    All good points. But with that said 'Naka's got to have a quick hook if his stuff looks flat. Gray or Garcia should be the primary early inning relief guy. Don't want to start game 1 with heavy use of the pens resources when you don't know how the rest of the series will go. If he comes in early this would take the place of his simulated game.

  18. #18

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Baby Bombers growing up right before our eyes. The light has turned on for Sanchez and Judge and they look to have finally shaken off the pressure and are hitting again like they are capable of.

    This was the best Yankee game I've seen in years bar none.

    Sonny pitched darn well but its so crazy the Yanks can not hit when he pitches. The moment he goes out the bats came alive. We got into their pen which helped for sure but Judge also teed off on McCullers before he was taken out.

    This is crazy but the tide is turning and the heart of the order is heating up. Smart at bats and going with pitches to opposite field. Laying off the balls diving out of the strike zone. If they take this approach into tomorrow, I think they will finally scratch a few runs off Kuechel. We just need to make him work and not let him dictate every at bat. Especially laying off the low pitches that 75% of the time drop out of the strike zone.

    This team has a certain aura to it that reminds me of the 90s teams. Not in the way the play but the way they scratch and never give up with some amazing pitching and bullpen.

  19. #19
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Someone mentioned somewhere that Gray has now thrown 21+ post-season innings in his career and his team has not scored a single run for him while he was pitching.


    Unreal.

  20. #20

    Re: Suggested 2017 ALCS Yankees Pitching Rotation with reasoning

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Someone mentioned somewhere that Gray has now thrown 21+ post-season innings in his career and his team has not scored a single run for him while he was pitching.


    Unreal.
    Don't know what it is but I told my son watch how the bats come alive now that he is out of the game. Then 1st pitch off MCCullers in the 7th Judge has an absolute majestic homer and the funk off the team was lifted . Crazy.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts