+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1141

Re: 2017 ALCS Yankees v Astros

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Shows Muscle View Post
    How did Houston's bats not wake up? Robertson's Jay Witasick impression essentially gave the Astros all the momentum.

Girardi should've never used him to begin with. All 3-run deficits are not equal. Verlander was in complete control from the 1st pitch. They were never in this game last night. They could've swung a 6-foot card table at the plate and still not make contact. This goes back to having a feel for the game. I understand the blast by Judge woke the sleeping giant in Game 4, but they didn't have Verlander on the mound that night. Plus, Severino was in uncharted waters, pitching well beyond 200 innings this season. He's toast at this point. Joe has to know that.

It'd be nice if the offense showed up for once on the road, but I don't think it matters who pitches, just like it didn't matter in 2004 once the Red Sox had stolen all the momentum. Sabathia might be good for 4 innings before he turns to dust like he always does around the fifth inning. They needed to win last night and didn't. Expectations going into it don't matter. They took a 3-2 series lead needing to win one game to go to the World Series. Not getting there is a colossal failure.
    We agree on the Astros bats but thatís about it. That game was not over. Verlander was gassed. Ball 4 to Hicks wouldíve changed the entire inning. Even with help from the ump the needed a very good defensive play against Frazier who looked overmatched earlier in the game. They were not out of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    We all wanted Green in there to face Altuve but I don't think Green was ready. I doubt if Joe was trying to get 6 innings but you never know. Servino walked three batters in the bottom of the order and made a mistake to McCann (I think he was ahead). Didn't like taking Green out either but that was a surprise to me. Lastly, I want to stretch out Green this ST to have him in the rotation.
    The pitch to McCann wasnít a mistake. He hit a pitcherís pitch. Sometimes you get beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxirish View Post
    We agree on the Astros bats but thatís about it. That game was not over. Verlander was gassed. Ball 4 to Hicks wouldíve changed the entire inning. Even with help from the ump the needed a very good defensive play against Frazier who looked overmatched earlier in the game. They were not out of that game.
    I don't feel like at any point in that game they were on the verge of something. The only thing ball 4 to Hicks would've meant was an additional runner to leave on base. Even early in the game, when the two were matching zeroes, Verlander looked much sharper and more efficient. Severino was getting away with stuff up in the zone and the Astros made adjustments. The Yankees never did.

Then again, wasting Robertson might not have been a bad thing. He's been awful in the ALCS and shouldn't be used tonight. He's way too hit or miss. His hits come in big spots, so we overlook the letdowns, but he's been erratic this postseason.

Not sure how anyone is blaming Joe for bringing in Robertson who has been money the entire year.

We were only down 2 runs in the 9th. You've got to at least try to go for it at that point when you are one win from closing it out.

What did you guys want him to do?

I do think he had a slow hook on Severino, but not nearly as bad as Maddon with Quintana the other night

I don't feel like at any point in that game they were on the verge of something. The only thing ball 4 to Hicks would've meant was an additional runner to leave on base. Even early in the game, when the two were matching zeroes, Verlander looked much sharper and more efficient. Severino was getting away with stuff up in the zone and the Astros made adjustments. The Yankees never did.

Then again, wasting Robertson might not have been a bad thing. He's been awful in the ALCS and shouldn't be used tonight. He's way too hit or miss. His hits come in big spots, so we overlook the letdowns, but he's been erratic this postseason.
    The Frazier shot to the wall was all in Verlanderís plan?

Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post
    Not sure how anyone is blaming Joe for bringing in Robertson who has been money the entire year.
    Kahnle's line since Sept. 3:

20 IP, 0 ER, 7 BB, 24 K

Kahnle in the postseason:

10 IP, 0 ER, 2 BB, 9 K

Robertson in the postseason:

11 IP, 6 R, 4 BB, 13 K

Robertson is vastly, vastly overrated. So maybe last night was a blessing in that Joe will finally ride the hot hand.

The Frazier shot to the wall was all in Verlanderís plan?
    It was a warning-track fly ball. If Springer didn't run like a third baseman he makes that catch without even having to jump.

It was a warning-track fly ball. If Springer didn't run like a third baseman he makes that catch without even having to jump.
    It was hit hard by Frazier and he was missing his spots. If you canít see that I donít know what to tell you. Of course maybe he meant to walk Bird and Hicks and plunk Castro.

Calls a tool a tool

Except for Sanchez, it was encouraging to see everyone else's performance. Frazier nailed Verlander twice. Hick's nearly hit a three run shot. Headley hit. CC seems to be on a mission this year, and here he is with the biggest game of the year. It would be nice to get 6 from him.

Starting Charlie Morton for Houston is a real head scratcher. In his last 3 starts, he has given up 11 runs in 13 innings. If you add his postseason results to his regular season numbers, his ERA jumps from 3.62 to 3.96. In contrast, CC's season long ERA including playoffs drops from 3.69 to 3.45 due to only 4 postseason ER in 15.2 innings.

On paper this shouldn't be close. Morton should be out of the game early with Colin Mc Hugh replacing him. So why not simply start McHugh?

20 IP, 0 ER, 7 BB, 24 K

10 IP, 0 ER, 2 BB, 9 K

11 IP, 6 R, 4 BB, 13 K

Robertson is vastly, vastly overrated. So maybe last night was a blessing in that Joe will finally ride the hot hand.
    Your hatred and distrust of Robertson is the most irrational thought on this board. The guy is a top 10 reliever in baseball and is clearly overworked right now.

20 IP, 0 ER, 7 BB, 24 K
    DRob: August 25 - October 3 (Wild Card)

21.1 IP, 0 ER, 8 BB, 30 K

10 IP, 0 ER, 2 BB, 9 K

11 IP, 6 R, 4 BB, 13 K
    DRob in the postseason before last night:

11 IP, 2 ER, 4 BB, 13 K

So maybe last night was a blessing in that Joe will finally ride the hot hand.
    Riding the hot hand is precisely what Joe was doing with DRob until he hit a wall last night. If it weren't for him saving the team's bacon in the Wild Card game, the Yankees wouldn't even be here right now. It's not like he has been ignoring Kahnle whom he has used just as often as Robertson in this postseason.

I agree that the silver lining to last night's game was finding out that David has run out of gas. Better to have found out in a game that was already lost than to have found out tonight.

Make the Yankees great again!!

A few points before I head out for the day:

1) Win or lose tonight its been a great season. And half the team, the manager, and coaching staff does not need to be fired or released if they lose.

2) For those of you ripping/second guessing Girardi for bringing Green into a 3-0 game I have a question for you. Where were you on Tuesday when Girardi brought in Green to hold Houston in a very simiar situation while the offense came back? By your logic had they lost that game Green would not have been available for an elimination game on Thursday. Where were the calls for Warren? Do you see how silly this gets?

3) A a head scratcher for me was Hinch having his closer throw 23 pitches in a game they were leading by six runs. Of course Hinch is the gretaest manager in the world and Girardi is an idiot according to many Yankee fans, but can you imagine the reaction here if Girardi used Chapman for 23 pitches in a game they were leading by 6 with a game 7 the very next day?

4) Lets go Yankees!!!! Enjoy the game.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Yes, the strike was in 1978.

If I remember Ed Linn's book correctly, Billy actually argued FOR having Reggie on the team during the FO meetings in 1976-77 offseason; Steinbrenner wanted to go after Joe Rudi. But Billy wanted a home run masher, and besides, he felt Rudi had gotten so much praise for being underrated that he had become overrated, which is a great way to describe Rudi. Once Billy and Reggie actually had to share a clubhouse/dugout, things got tense.

(Or it could be I have Billy and Stein reversed in that scenario. Long time since Linn's book was out.)
    You have it reversed. Billy wanted Rudi, George wanted Reggie.

NYYF Legend

The pitcher that scares me is McHugh. He no hit us for four innings on Monday and I think we will see him the moment Morton gets in any trouble.

NYYF Legend

Lol hits ball to the deepest part of the park and misses HR by 5 feet. That ball was well struck. Springer made a good but no treat play on it but that a ball most CF get to like springer did.

But that ball was hit good.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post

1) Win or lose tonight its been a great season. And half the team, the manager, and coaching staff does not need to be fired or released if they lose.

2) For those of you ripping/second guessing Girardi for bringing Green into a 3-0 game I have a question for you. Where were you on Tuesday when Girardi brought in Green to hold Houston in a very simiar situation while the offense came back? By your logic had they lost that game Green would not have been available for an elimination game on Thursday. Where were the calls for Warren? Do you see how silly this gets?

3) A a head scratcher for me was Hinch having his closer throw 23 pitches in a game they were leading by six runs. Of course Hinch is the gretaest manager in the world and Girardi is an idiot according to many Yankee fans, but can you imagine the reaction here if Girardi used Chapman for 23 pitches in a game they were leading by 6 with a game 7 the very next day?

I didn't mind Green pitching those two innings. What I do mind is Girardi leaving a gassed Severino in to face Altuve and then going to Green. Green should have faced Altuve. Maybe then the score would only be 1-0.

NYYF Legend

I feel confident the Yanks will score tonight off Morton.

I'm worried about CC shutting down Houston.

Go Yanks!
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I didn't mind Green pitching those two innings. What I do mind is Girardi leaving a gassed Severino in to face Altuve and then going to Green. Green should have faced Altuve. Maybe then the score would only be 1-0.
    Severino had mad Altuve look stupid twice. Wasn't a bad move to try to get him again. Didn't work.
    Baseball is life;

20 IP, 0 ER, 7 BB, 24 K

10 IP, 0 ER, 2 BB, 9 K

11 IP, 6 R, 4 BB, 13 K

Overrated? He had 1.03 ERA since coming over. Obviously his post season numbers are skewed by yesterday.

A a head scratcher for me was Hinch having his closer throw 23 pitches in a game they were leading by six runs. Of course Hinch is the gretaest manager in the world.
    It was a gift, Art. Hinch is not only a great manager, but he is also a nice man.

On a more serious note, the head scratching is compounded by the fact that Hinch is going with Charlie Morton tonigh. If you've noticed, Morton is not Justin Verlander. He's not going to pitch a complete game. Has been able to get through onl 13 innings in his past 3 starts (4+ inning season per start). He's given up 11 runs in those 3 starts. He's going to need everyone he can muster in his bullpen. So why burn Giles last night? Maybe he can get an inning out of him tonight but he won't be fresh. Had he not used him last night, maybe he could have turned to him for 2 innings tonight. I agree with you. A real head scratcher.

And why Morton at all? Why not Collin McHugh who pitched very effectively for them in Aug/Sep and has a 3.34 ERA on the full season (regular + postseason combined). Compare that with Morton who's full season ERA has jumped to 3.96 after getting the snot beat out of him in these playoffs.

Hinch, a very nice man, is leaving a lot to be second guessed already going into this game 7. He has positioned the Yankees very well for the win that we all so desperately want.

Hinch deserves to be ripped for that like Girardi or any other manager would be. That was a dumb move
    Youíre inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.í- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I feel confident the Yanks will score tonight off Morton.
    Me too. He's been getting beaten up like a punching bag in this postseason.

I'm worried about CC shutting down Houston.
    It's our job to worry. It's why we get paid the big bucks.

Anything can happen in a game 7, but CC's experience in big games is exactly what a team wants at this point. If he struggles, Kahnle, Warren, and Chapman are all fresh, leaving the Yankees' bullpen in better shape than the Astros. After them, it's all hands on deck.

The Yankees are in good shape going into this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Me too. He's been getting beaten up like a punching bag in this postseason.

It's our job to worry. It's why we get paid the big bucks.

Anything can happen in a game 7, but CC's experience in big games is exactly what a team wants at this point. If he struggles, Kahnle, Warren, and Chapman are all fresh, leaving the Yankees' bullpen in better shape than the Astros. After them, it's all hands on deck.

The Yankees are in good shape going into this game.
    I agree... we're in a good position to win, and if it doesn't happen oh well

Astros are a really good team and you can't be too ashamed losing to them. With that said, this team will be far more of a menace entering the postseason next year (as long as we don't do anything stupid in the offseason to dismantle the team)

NYYF Cy Young

The pitch to McCann wasn’t a mistake. He hit a pitcher’s pitch. Sometimes you get beat.
    We can disagree on this. McCann complained to the ump with the 2 strikes called on the outside (same pitch). Servino came in closer (it was on the edge) but McCann was waiting for it. NO. IMO. It was a mistake because he has a nasty slider (maybe Sanchez call this). The walks hurt - 2 walks at the time with 1 out. It was a critical time of the game. They got 1 runs with 1 hit with 1 pitch against a guy batting around 100.

In reply to Mike : NOW I AM WORRIED.
    Last edited by bucky; 10-21-17 at 11:59 AM. Reason: 1 run

Thread Information