View Poll Results: Who should manage next year?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joe Girardi

65 50.78%
  • Terry Collins

3 2.34%
  • Brad Ausmus

2 1.56%
  • Mets Clubhouse Dildo

17 13.28%
  • Other (please indicate)

41 32.03%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Who should manage the 2018 Yankees?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    No, he said a good source told him that Judge won the MVP. He also admitted afterwards that he shouldn't have revealed that information as it negatively affected many Yankee fans when he did not win the award.
    I think that's saying he (Kay) reported that Judge won the MVP. Just like saying the Manager selection was on hold. I'm pretty sure a good source told him that as well. He just didn't backtrack on that one. Yet.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I think that's saying he (Kay) reported that Judge won the MVP. Just like saying the Manager selection was on hold. I'm pretty sure a good source told him that as well. He just didn't backtrack on that one. Yet.
    Well, it's Wednesday and tomorrow is Thanksgiving so I doubt he needs to backtrack on this assertion as they didn't interview on Monday or Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    "[M]ost posters around here" do not think Joe is "incompetent." Indeed, I doubt whether any rational poster here really thinks that. Its true that many were really mad at him after game two of the ALDS, and perhaps it would be fair to use that word for his handling of that one inning, but by the end of the Yankee post season, sentiments were very different. Just look at the latest results of the poll on who should manage the team in 2018.

I for one am happy for the change because I believe there were real issues, but I still think, based on my usual limited knowledge, that Joe was at least an average MLB manager by the end of his tenure, and was way above average when he was hired in a day when there were more old school guys still managing. Anyway, you can expect any manager to come under a lot of criticism on a fan board like this. That does not mean that folks think he is "incompetent."
    Panicky and stubborn are the adjectives id use to describe Joe, though some moves like the ALDS non challenge go beyond that (and tbh the situation was made much worse by his post game.)
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Make the Yankees great again!!

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Panicky and stubborn are the adjectives id use to describe Joe, though some moves like the ALDS non challenge go beyond that (and tbh the situation was made much worse by his post game.)
    2017 ALDS game 2 was Joe's worst moment, feel free to ignore his many positive accomplishments in his playing and managerial career. Perhaps you have lived a perfect life and have been perfect in all your endeavors, if that is true I congratulate you. I know most of us are not perfect and I would certainly hate to be judged in both my professional and personal life on my worst moment while all the good stuff was swept under the rug.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    2017 ALDS game 2 was Joe's worst moment, feel free to ignore his many positive accomplishments in his playing and managerial career. Perhaps you have lived a perfect life and have been perfect in all your endeavors, if that is true I congratulate you. I know most of us are not perfect and I would certainly hate to be judged in both my professional and personal life on my worst moment while all the good stuff was swept under the rug.
    Oh please, that was the piece-de-resistance but he's made plenty of other mind boggling mistakes especially in the last 3 full seasons, but you seem to want THOSE swept under the rug. Keep in mind that I didn't call him incompetent, just panicky and stubborn but with some big moments that made him look aloof. And it was less the actual non challenge than his deflection and justification afterwards.

And mistakes professionally and personally can and often do form the basis of judgment regardless of previous good done. Sports multiplies that by orders of magnitude. With regards to Joe though, as Hal and Cashman have said he wasn't judged on that, but on the last 3ish years of work. Precisely when he started getting more panicked with his decision making
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

NYYF Legend

Mike Francesa said he could manage the team if asked.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Oh please, that was the piece-de-resistance but he's made plenty of other mind boggling mistakes especially in the last 3 full seasons, but you seem to want THOSE swept under the rug. Keep in mind that I didn't call him incompetent, just panicky and stubborn but with some big moments that made him look aloof. And it was less the actual non challenge than his deflection and justification afterwards.

And mistakes professionally and personally can and often do form the basis of judgment regardless of previous good done. Sports multiplies that by orders of magnitude. With regards to Joe though, as Hal and Cashman have said he wasn't judged on that, but on the last 3ish years of work. Precisely when he started getting more panicked with his decision making
    I wonder if Joe's bad decisions when the Yankees were swept at Fenway back in September of 2016 had a large influence in Hal and Cashman's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I can accept the opinion that it was time for a change in manager. I can also accept that some here didn't like Joe be cause he doesn't have the warmest personality. But when I see statements like "most around here think he's incompetent" that's were you lose me and quite frankly IMO anyone making such a statement is embarrassing themselves. Girardi graduated Northwestern with an Engineering degree. He was the preferred catcher of some of the greatest pitchers of his generation due to his baseball intellect and game calling skills. He won three world championships as the primary catcher for the Yankees. As a manager he took a Marlin team that was projected to lose 110 games and had them in contention until the last week of the season. As Yankee manager he won a World Series and won more games than any other team during his tenure. So if you or anyone else doesn't like Girardi for whatever reason you are most certainly entitled to your opinion. But to call him "incompetent" is foolish.
    I wasn't in a group that thought that...All I'm saying is that enough people thought that. Enough that it was a nightly debate about how bad he was at this and that. Scroll through his thread over the summer months...it wasn't pretty. Ofcourse, that isn't a complete reflection of Yankee fandom but maybe game 3 was as close as you can get.
    The booing he got before game 3 was uniquely strong. And we can place that on game 2 but that level of animosity comes from a lot more than a single game.

But that has deviated from the original point about how managers and coaches can win with teams, without being in consideration for one of the better coaches/managers. Or even competent.
    So the idea that those methods of the 1970's were the reason for any success, could be true but it also could be false. In this sport, especially, it's tough to gauge.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

The biggest obstacle is the "if asked" part.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Hey, I could manage the team if asked. I might not be able to manage it well, or even slightly competently, but I could do it.

Much like Francesa.

NYYF Legend

With regards to Joe though, as Hal and Cashman have said he wasn't judged on that, but on the last 3ish years of work. Precisely when he started getting more panicked with his decision making
    I always thought he was prone to LaRussa-style overmanaging, not just in the last 3 years but all the way through. But I wouldn't call it "panicky." Some guys just like to make 5 moves when 1 will do.

One thing that will be interesting to watch about the "new administration" will be to see if some of the persistent roster idiocies of recent years keep happening. (e.g., 13-man pitching staffs, keeping hurt players off the DL in order to salvage a game or two of usability while the team plays shorthanded for more than a week, etc.) If it stops, we'll know it was Girardi. If it keeps happening, we'll know it's Cashman.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Hey, I could manage the team if asked. I might not be able to manage it well, or even slightly competently, but I could do it.

Much like Francesa.
    If it helps I would take you over Francesa as Yankee mgr. Though I would take Maury Wills over both of you.

Are Yankees interviewing more candidates for manager position. Beltran, Cone, Pedrique?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Are Yankees interviewing more candidates for manager position. Beltran, Cone, Pedrique?
    My understanding is, the interviewing is over. It will be one of the 5.

I dont think manager nterview is done. Hal said, its up to less than 10 candidates to be interview. so far was 5 was interviewed

NYYF Legend

I dont think manager nterview is done. Hal said, its up to less than 10 candidates to be interview. so far was 5 was interviewed
    Correct. Read that after Woodward interviewed Monday there would be a hiatus through this weekend for the holiday.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I always thought he was prone to LaRussa-style overmanaging, not just in the last 3 years but all the way through. But I wouldn't call it "panicky." Some guys just like to make 5 moves when 1 will do.

One thing that will be interesting to watch about the "new administration" will be to see if some of the persistent roster idiocies of recent years keep happening. (e.g., 13-man pitching staffs, keeping hurt players off the DL in order to salvage a game or two of usability while the team plays shorthanded for more than a week, etc.) If it stops, we'll know it was Girardi. If it keeps happening, we'll know it's Cashman.
    It wasn't Cashman?

5 is less than 10.

NYYF Legend

If it helps I would take you over Francesa as Yankee mgr. Though I would take Maury Wills over both of you.
    I think it had to be Girardi. His bullpen management called for using a lot of guys from the pen a lot (5 moves where 1 will do). This caused the need for additional relievers on both the 25 man and 40 man rosters. It's tough to guess about the DL moves though.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

The pendulum always swings and that may be the case today regarding the perspective of how important a manager truly is. A rather simple Torre was once considered a deity, today a buffoon claims he could manage the Yanks. I maintain that a good manager does makes a difference and must encompass several qualities including stamina.

Given that Cashman knew in advance that he was making a managerial change, one would have assumed that he had already circled a qualified few and this search would have already been concluded rather than this continuing carousel .

I would think having no present mgr in place is detrimental to any free agent pursuit since any recruit/ employee wants to know who is playing /working for. Sitting across the table, how can there be faith in what is being presented to a recruit without the presence of a manager.

Without any great insight, I lean towards Bam bam simply because he checks off several boxes. Just hope a decision is made soon and Cashman understands the distinction between giving input on his assembly and dictating employment of such

They're not going after any free agents except Ohtani (not actually on the market for another week), Sabathia (who has already said he trusts them to bring in someone acceptable) and maybe a backup catcher.

So would I.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    They're not going after any free agents except Ohtani (not actually on the market for another week), Sabathia (who has already said he trusts them to bring in someone acceptable) and maybe a backup catcher.
    Landing Ohtani would be helpful but even then no additional moves beyond the ones you present would likely result in another wild card run and certainly not close the gap between us and the Astros if not the Red Sox and Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimeyank View Post
    Landing Ohtani would be helpful but even then no additional moves beyond the ones you present would likely result in another wild card run and certainly not close the gap between us and the Astros if not the Red Sox and Indians.
    They will be adding almost a full season of Bird, probably most of a season of Gleyber, a full season of Gray, Kahnle, Robertson, Domingo German waiting in AAA or at the back of the bullpen, also Andujar, Frazier, Chance Adams, maybe Sheffield or Abreu or Acevedo, Ben Heller. Obviously all assuming health, but they should be moving guys like Castro and Ellsbury and opening up spots for their next young studs, not clogging the roster even more.

Even without Ohtani as DH, let Andujar and Frazier take a lot of DH ABs, everything else besides what I said is well covered internally and those guys need chances.

I expect 2-3 interviews next week then the final 3 candidates to meet and be interviewed by the Steinbrenner family during the first full week in December. That way, they can announce a new manager during the winter meetings in Orlando that begin December 10th.

Thread Information