View Poll Results: Who should manage next year?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joe Girardi

65 50.78%
  • Terry Collins

3 2.34%
  • Brad Ausmus

2 1.56%
  • Mets Clubhouse Dildo

17 13.28%
  • Other (please indicate)

41 32.03%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Who should manage the 2018 Yankees?

We all know it's gonna be arod eventually

NYYF Legend

Girardi and if not him then maybe Tony Pena. Dark horse candidate Jorge Posada......he's said he'd like to get back into the game. Better snag him up before Jeter does in Miami
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Most of the posters hers totally dislike both Girardi and Cashman.

I disagree violently. If it were not for both of them we would be mired in 4th or 5th place in the AL East.

I have no idea where we could get someone better than these two.
    If either or both were let go they would have a new job within a week. The Cubs would snap up Joe in an instant.

Yes I agree Joe was not good in last nights game, you can attribute our loss directly to his decisions, but on the whole he has done a magnificent job. Disagree all you want

Andy
    Agreed.

Btw people calling for Mattingly either don’t pay attention to baseball outside of New York or are hoping Mattingly suddenly changes his stripes. He’s my all time favorite Yankee but he’s widely considered a very poor in game manager and a bad manager of the bullpen to boot.

Girardi got a ton out of a young club. He’s far from perfect but he’s my choice moving forward.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Pena as interim and then ARod.

Whoever voted for Collins should be smacked in the face with a hammer. Not a funny joke.

David Cone

Why Cone?

He's old school, but at the same time he's immersed in saber-metrics.

He's also smart, articulate, good with the media, and he has a resume as a player that young players have to respect.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I think more of the 1-run losses were player blunders than managerial. A new bullpen goat was emerging pretty much every week without warning or any reason to expect them to struggle. Chapman the team needed to get back on track and he was pulled from the closer role at around the right time or a tad late. I think Joe actually did a good job of motivating Chapman to find his fire again particularly the game where he had I think Shreve get up after Chapman struggled, that lit the fire that got Chapman back to being Chapman. Clippard, yea they stuck him in too many key situations for too long after he was struggling. I'll give you that. The bullpen wasn't that deep back then (no DRob, no Kahnle, Green was still emerging, Chapman was out) though so Clippard at the time was a guy that you would need to turn it around.

Moves that immediately come to mind that he made that I think were quite positive:
    -sticking with Judge and eventually batting him 2nd to help get him back to a more patient approach. Also pulled him early from a game to end the strikeout streak and get that distraction over
    -riding Frazier's hot run and sitting Ellsbury
    -giving Hicks an opportunity to breakout
    -resting players, our team is fully healthy for the playoffs
    -gave Montgomery the 5th starter and didn't over or underwork him
    -pushing Sanchez to work on his blocking. Its still a work in progress but he's improved.

Look I won't be sad if Joe is gone, its earned after having his worst managerial performance in one of the biggest moments, but its hard for me to be too critical when more often than not he has had made the right decisions. There's no manager we could possibly hire that we would all agree with in foresight on more than around 50% of close decisions.
    You didnít get the memo. Girardi is to blame for everything that goes wrong and any success just miraculously fell from heaven despite him.

A-Rod as the Yankees manager ... I really hope this is just somebody's idea of a cute joke.

I have no interest in this idea whatsoever.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by 51 View Post
    So Girardi is responsible for Judge and Severino's performances?
    He doesnít get any credit for Judge? He managed his slump quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    A-Rod as the Yankees manager ... I really hope this is just somebody's idea of a cute joke.

Agreed. ARod has carved out a very nice niche since retirement. This doesn’t mean he should be the Yankee manager. He’s proven to be incredibly self conscious and selfish in the past not traits you want in a manager.

Another thing, handing the keys over to any unknown is a huge mistake. That includes Posada. A complete unknown is the worst possible decision. I’m not worried because Cashman would never make such a mistake.

NYYF Legend

He's probably going to manage in MLB. He's known as a baseball expert. Just a matter of where, and NYY is probably as likely an option as anywhere, considering how weirdly emotionally latched on he seems to be to them. I'm not expressing an opinion on it, but I think you can't rule it out.

Other, Alex Rodriguez.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

NYYF Legend

No way.... he needs to turn in his Pinstripes.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Other, Alex Rodriguez.
    Alex was never accepted into the Yankees family. I doubt he will ever be considered for the position. Personally I think he's incredibly knowledgeable about the game of baseball and could be a good manager.

Quote Originally Posted by 51 View Post
    So Girardi is responsible for Judge and Severino's performances?
    I think the manager has to get some credit for how younger players develop in the majors. Especially those two who really struggled early on. Obviously the vast majority of the credit goes to Judge and Severino themselves. Then in terms of management Cashman gets credit for drafting/signing them. But you also have to credit Girardi to some extent. If on the other hand, younger players were out of control, the manager should receive some of the blame.

Alex does not want to manage. He has too much money and can have too much fun doing other things. Managing and going on the road is a tough job. He might do what Jeter is doing, having a role running a team. But he will never accept the burden of managing any more than would Jeter.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    The humility of admitting what you don't know is commendable. If the management decides that there is not a better option out there, would you support that decision? I'm personally very happy with the job Girardi has done this year, but like you, I do not have any inside information or expertise on the available managers. If Cashman thinks somebody else can do better job, I'm open to see. I just think Girardi is doing very well, and I imagine the FO thinks the same thing given their expectations going into this season.
    Since you asked, I will tell you that I will be very disappointed if Girardi is back. I wanted him fired after the 2012 playoff collapse, and was irrational in my ventilating posts at the time. I have been disappointed in him as a manager because of his rigidity during games for a long time. I recognize that he is smart, hard working, and very well prepared. And I think he knows the game well and is a nice man. I also think they could do worse. I think there are many worse managers in the game. But I actually have confidence in them hiring someone good after a process of examination.

I thought the failure to challenge that HBP was one of the worst managerial mistakes I have ever seen in 63 years watching baseball. I think few managers, however bad, would have failed to make that challenge. And Girardi's failure to do so reflects his flaws. And one of his flaws is a lack o humility actually. He does not take ownership of his mistakes and he did not take ownership of that until he saw the reaction. He might have gotten a message from Cashman as well.

Finally, I am just tired of his style. It would be more fun to have something new.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Since you asked, I will tell you that I will be very disappointed if Girardi is back. I wanted him fired after the 2012 playoff collapse, and was irrational in my ventilating posts at the time. I have been disappointed in him as a manager because of his rigidity during games for a long time. I recognize that he is smart, hard working, and very well prepared. And I think he knows the game well and is a nice man. I also think they could do worse. I think there are many worse managers in the game. But I actually have confidence in them hiring someone good after a process of examination.

I thought the failure to challenge that HBP was one of the worst managerial mistakes I have ever seen in 63 years watching baseball. I think few managers, however bad, would have failed to make that challenge. And Girardi's failure to do so reflects his flaws. And one of his flaws is a lack o humility actually. He does not take ownership of his mistakes and he did not take ownership of that until he saw the reaction. He might have gotten a message from Cashman as well.

Finally, I am just tired of his style. It would be more fun to have something new.
    While I disagree with some of your points I appreciate your perspective. I do want to point out that while I think Girardi made a mistake Friday not challenging I understand how it happened. The manager is responsible for setting up systems to handle such things. The game moves at 100 mph and without those systems you have a mess. The system once in place needs to be evaluated and adjusted when necessary. The Yankee system for challenges has been fairly successful. He relied upon it. A great manager will deviate when necessary from that system but not regularly because it undermines it. He was told not to challenge by personnel that has excelled at making those calls this year. He listened. He should have delayed the decision to allow more time. You can make the argument that he should have deviated based on the circumstance. I would agree. I donít agree that itís a compete no brainer.

Again thank you for sharing a thought out measured perspective for changing the manger. One I can respect despite disagreeing.

Just one response to Bronxirish: I think the Yankees' high success rate on challenges actually shows that their system hurts the team. It shows that they are much more conservative in their challenges than they should be. A high success rate probably is a bad thing because the cost of not having success is losing the challenge, while the benefits of a 50% chance challenge can be much greater.

The conservative nature of the system reflects Girardi's conservative style. Don't go with what you see, but with a set system that is not biased by the perspective of the moment. I think that both Cashman and Hal like that style. They want the organization to use controlled systems as much as possible. That is one reason why Girardi has kept his job and may still. I just think that Girardi takes this too far, opening himself to the "binder" criticisms here. The failure to call for a review on the HBP without confirmation by the system is an egregious example.

Keeping in Green to face Lindor because he had struck him out twice earlier in the season is another egregious example. The moment showed that Green did not have his best stuff. Sometimes what you see in the moment, and not your meticulous preparation, has to control.

Anyway, I am not always balanced and rational in my posts. I went irrationally bananas in the 2012 playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
    Girardi. I'm mad, confused, and upset about the 6th inning tonight, but I still feel he's the best choice for the team going forward.
    I agree

From Buster's piece:

Girardi still had the right to challenge in the sixth inning, and even if he had been wrong and had burned a challenge, he would have had the safety net of knowing that after the seventh inning, the crew chief can initiate a review. And at this time of the year, the umpires almost certainly would grant any request. Just to make sure.

This is what happened in the Cubs-Nationals game Saturday after Anthony Rizzo clubbed a two-run homer that cleared the right-field wall. Washington manager Dusty Baker asked the umpires to double-check the call, and although they all probably had a pretty good idea of what happened, they reviewed the homer. Just to make sure.

I thought Joe had a different look on his face last night, even after the last out. I wonder if something was said to him by a higher up.

Also, he said he needed to talk to his family before making decisions about next year. Maybe he thinks Derek would hire him in Miami and wonders if that might be more congenial for him. As AV has often said, he would not have trouble getting another job. I think the Mets might even hire him. If Hal offers him only a low ball extension or a front office position, I think he would ask the family what they thought about moving to Miami.

I think Joe will want big bucks to come back. If not he will walk away. "Donny Baseball" will probably be back at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by fvkw View Post
    I think Joe will want big bucks to come back. If not he will walk away. "Donny Baseball" will probably be back at some point.
    He will never manage the Yankees. Just not a good idea.
    ĒWhat people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.Ē

Are people serious with this ARod garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    He will never manage the Yankees. Just not a good idea.
    Sounds good, I kinda agree with you, we will see what goes on!

Thread Information