View Poll Results: Who should manage next year?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joe Girardi

65 50.78%
  • Terry Collins

3 2.34%
  • Brad Ausmus

2 1.56%
  • Mets Clubhouse Dildo

17 13.28%
  • Other (please indicate)

41 32.03%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: Who should manage the 2018 Yankees?

How are people actually thinking Joe was good this year? The Yankees have the worst record in baseball in 1 run games. A lot of that is on the manager. How many times did we have to suffer watching him cram Clippard and Chap down our throats while they were crashing and burning? I mean, Cashman had to beg the White Six to take him as part of a deal so Joe would stop using him to blow games for us. Sure we won 91 ganes, but easily could have been over 100 if Joe Blow wasn't making the calls during that awful stretch we had mid season. And it's stuff like this that remind me of how bad of a situational manager he truly is.

I will be happy if he is gone in 2018. Too many times he cost us. And now I'm afraid he lost the players trust.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Ron Gardenhire.

I promise you no one will be getting picked off 2nd base by a catcher from his knees with no outs in extra innings.
    Gardenhire or a rookie with Pena as the bench coach......
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    How are people actually thinking Joe was good this year? The Yankees have the worst record in baseball in 1 run games. A lot of that is on the manager. How many times did we have to suffer watching him cram Clippard and Chap down our throats while they were crashing and burning? I mean, Cashman had to beg the White Six to take him as part of a deal so Joe would stop using him to blow games for us. Sure we won 91 ganes, but easily could have been over 100 if Joe Blow wasn't making the calls during that awful stretch we had mid season. And it's stuff like this that remind me of how bad of a situational manager he truly is.

I will be happy if he is gone in 2018. Too many times he cost us. And now I'm afraid he lost the players trust.
    Not to mention with still a shot at the Division not pulling Gray and then using Holder in a one run game.

The Facebook yankees group I'm part of should be renamed the Binder Knights
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    The Facebook yankees group I'm part of should be renamed the Binder Knights
    There are still people caping for Girardi?

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    There are still people caping for Girardi?
    Hardcore
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss

Hardcore
    How is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    How is that possible?
    They think Girardi is the best manager ever I guess. I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    After sleeping on it, I came to my senses. Too stiff.
    Did you try removing the dildo from your ass before going to sleep?

Cone or Arod. Wont ever happen, unfortunately.

I remember Giant fans wishing Tom C out as coach. Watch what you wish for...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I wouldn't mind seeing this group get a fresh start moving forward with a new skipper next season, but the idea that we could have easily won 100 games or more seems like a bit of a stretch. This was supposed to be a transition year with a developing young group of players forming the core. I suspect most people would agree that winning 91 games and getting into the playoffs was a remarkable accomplishment. This is still not a 100 win ballclub IMO.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing this group get a fresh start moving forward with a new skipper next season, but the idea that we could have easily won 100 games or more seems like a bit of a stretch. This was supposed to be a transition year with a developing young group of players forming the core. I suspect most people would agree that winning 91 games and getting into the playoffs was a remarkable accomplishment. This is still not a 100 win ballclub IMO.
    The 100 wins number is based on their actual play (RS, RA). Yes preseason projections had them being bad, but they played really well, and what held them back was the close games where Girardi either overmanaged them to Ls, or refused to change his bullpen plan *coighCLIPPYcough*

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Don Wakamatsu or David Ross.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

The 100 wins number is based on their actual play (RS, RA). Yes preseason projections had them being bad, but they played really well, and what held them back was the close games where Girardi either overmanaged them to Ls, or refused to change his bullpen plan *coighCLIPPYcough*
    Agree that there were times where overmanaging them may have led to losses, but he also deserves credit for getting a team with modest expectations at best to 91 wins, which no one really saw coming.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Or the dildo. It would have stood up for its player
    Good job. I got that.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    They went from 103 losses to the playoffs, and he finished his playing career there (and has always been a midwest guy, born in Minnesota and played in Milwaukee). Would be really surprised if he doesnt accept whatever good offer he's gonna get from there.
    Agree, I doubt Molitor leaves. This is why I voted Joe as I don't see a better option, Molitor was the only name that gave me any real confidence comparatively. Anyone else is a dart throw.

I think more of the 1-run losses were player blunders than managerial. A new bullpen goat was emerging pretty much every week without warning or any reason to expect them to struggle. Chapman the team needed to get back on track and he was pulled from the closer role at around the right time or a tad late. I think Joe actually did a good job of motivating Chapman to find his fire again particularly the game where he had I think Shreve get up after Chapman struggled, that lit the fire that got Chapman back to being Chapman. Clippard, yea they stuck him in too many key situations for too long after he was struggling. I'll give you that. The bullpen wasn't that deep back then (no DRob, no Kahnle, Green was still emerging, Chapman was out) though so Clippard at the time was a guy that you would need to turn it around.

Moves that immediately come to mind that he made that I think were quite positive:
    -sticking with Judge and eventually batting him 2nd to help get him back to a more patient approach. Also pulled him early from a game to end the strikeout streak and get that distraction over
    -riding Frazier's hot run and sitting Ellsbury
    -giving Hicks an opportunity to breakout
    -resting players, our team is fully healthy for the playoffs
    -gave Montgomery the 5th starter and didn't over or underwork him
    -pushing Sanchez to work on his blocking. Its still a work in progress but he's improved.

Look I won't be sad if Joe is gone, its earned after having his worst managerial performance in one of the biggest moments, but its hard for me to be too critical when more often than not he has had made the right decisions. There's no manager we could possibly hire that we would all agree with in foresight on more than around 50% of close decisions.

Joey Cora with Pena as his number one coach, fill in the rest with his choices.

All of the current staff must go, the Yankees have been the second or third slowest in baseball history to hire minorities BUT it's time to wake up and get a man in position who understands baseballs Latin culture along with baseball knowledge. I don't care for forcing a culture into a frame work if the representative is a poor candidate but Cora is a highly respected man.

Joe must go and it's not just because of a few bad moves in one game he simply has over stayed his run.

Doc

NYYF Legend

Joe Torre..........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

IIRC, Jorge said he would be open to managing in the future.

I'd give the job to him if he wants it.

You don't fire the manager after the team exceeds all expectations and an MVP level player/Ace pitcher both emerged in one year. Unless there are clubhouse issues that we don't know about, it would be a stupid decision.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    You don't fire the manager after the team exceeds all expectations and an MVP level player/Ace pitcher both emerged in one year. Unless there are clubhouse issues that we don't know about, it would be a stupid decision.
    So Girardi is responsible for Judge and Severino's performances?

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I voted other, but I think it is unfair to ask some relatively ignorant fan like myself or the other relatively ignorant posters here to name someone better than Girardi. I would want to know a lot about possible candidates, including guys in the minor leagues, that I do not know. I do not have access to most of that information and do not have time to collect what I might have access to.

I just think it is time for a change. Girardi has his strengths and they could do a lot worse. but he freezes and does not adjust well in critical game situations. Last night obviously is exhibit A. I think he may be losing his club house now, and that is what might lead to his demise here.
    The humility of admitting what you don't know is commendable. If the management decides that there is not a better option out there, would you support that decision? I'm personally very happy with the job Girardi has done this year, but like you, I do not have any inside information or expertise on the available managers. If Cashman thinks somebody else can do better job, I'm open to see. I just think Girardi is doing very well, and I imagine the FO thinks the same thing given their expectations going into this season.

I don't think it's implausible that he needs to win 3 to keep his job.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...cision-live-it

Thread Information