+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 ALDS (Yanks Vs Tribe) Discussion Thread

This is from Rosenthal. They're completely gutted. Normally I'd feel some empathy, but seeing as Trevor Bauer is in that clubhouse it warms the cockles of my heart.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I agree with that obviously, that wasn't a shot at anyone in any way. I'm more talking about the optics that, at a basic level, the Miller deal was about building the Yankees for the future and the Indians for RIGHT NOW.

At mid-season the Yankees are exceedingly all expectations in a huge way and there is some lamentation about not having Miller, in essence because he's with one of the accepted/established favorites making them even better.

Fast-forward 3 months and this Yankees team is not only still alive while the Indians are home, but they directly eliminated them. That's a totally crazy (and amazing for us) sequence to me; the Yankees got the prospects AND the playoff run.
    And by the way, all of what you just said AND Miller was the losing pitcher in the game that started our warpath comeback..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxirish View Post
    You can’t take the steak out of the equation, it counts.
    Didnt say it doesnt count. If you had a batter who hit 330 and delved further into the numbers and found out he had an insanely high BABIP, you would conclude that his average was flukey and was not sustainable. Their 102 wins was predicated on a 24 game win streak, which has never happened before in the 120 year history of baseball. Think about how many teams and how many games that comprises. Their 102 win pace is not sustainable because it was predicated on a freak occurence.

You are certainly free to have the opinion that they truly have the talent to be the equal of the Astros. I dont share that opinion. But what is not opinion is the other point I made, that you missed. Cleveland was a team that was either red hot or mediocre. They were not a team that consistently won 3 out of every 5 games like clockwork. They were a team that was prone to long stretches of mediocre play. For about 3/4 of the season they were on pace for an 87 win season, and even that was helped along by the fact that the schedule is unbalanced and they play in the weakest division. And that fact, in and of itself, makes them a more desirable opponent than the Astros.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Just an incredible effort by this team. They are too inexperienced to know that they should have packed it in.

Though some things need to change for the ALCS.

1. Does Betances make the roster? I dont see how he can be brought into a close game, so what's the point of having him on the roster? Maybe Shreve or Frazier instead.

2. Ells and Headley did nothing. Time to see what Holliday can do. Also worried about Ells as DH. If one of the OF's goes down, you lose the DH. And today Ells was pinch hit for by Headley. Who's the 4th OF at that point, Torreyes?

3.Judge needs to move down.

Gardy-Hicks-DD-Sanchez-Bird-Judge-Castro-Holliday-Frazier

4. Goggles for champagne celebrations are LAME. Ditch em.
    Totally agree with #1, #2, & #3 (though I would put Castro 6th and Judge 7th). I also agree with #4 but wonder why such a huge celebration to win the ALDS. The pennant and World Series, yes.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Obviously it all worked out but I can't help but wonder if Green is hurt. He has not pitched since the game 2 debacle. If he is healthy, then he must be in Girardi's doghouse.
    Wasnt really an opportunity for him. Tanaka and Sevvie both pitched deep. In Tanaka's game he went straight to the big dog. In Sevvie's game they had a 4 run lead. Dont think you can read anything into using Kahnle over Green there. And yesterday was handled right. With a 1-run lead you have to get the maximum innings from your top bullpen guys.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Wasnt really an opportunity for him. Tanaka and Sevvie both pitched deep. In Tanaka's game he went straight to the big dog. In Sevvie's game they had a 4 run lead. Dont think you can read anything into using Kahnle over Green there. And yesterday was handled right. With a 1-run lead you have to get the maximum innings from your top bullpen guys.
    I thought (at the time) that Green should have pitched the 8th last night. Again, it worked out so I'm not complaining but at the time I was nervous about asking Chapman to get 6 outs, especially with how long he had to sit in the dugout between the 8th and 9th inning.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I agree with that obviously, that wasn't a shot at anyone in any way. I'm more talking about the optics that, at a basic level, the Miller deal was about building the Yankees for the future and the Indians for RIGHT NOW.

At mid-season the Yankees are exceedingly all expectations in a huge way and there is some lamentation about not having Miller, in essence because he's with one of the accepted/established favorites making them even better.

Fast-forward 3 months and this Yankees team is not only still alive while the Indians are home, but they directly eliminated them. That's a totally crazy (and amazing for us) sequence to me; the Yankees got the prospects AND the playoff run.
    Yep, I hear ya. We are essentially having our cake and eating it too -- especially if Frazier and/or Sheffield pan out.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Yep, I hear ya. We are essentially having our cake and eating it too -- especially if Frazier and/or Sheffield pan out.
    Speaking of, Olney just retweeted this:

Josh Norris‏ @jnorris427 5m5 minutes ago
    Scout the other day on Justus Sheffield's opening AFL start: "That was No. 1 starter-type stuff right there." #Yankees
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

From the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Cleveland Indians 2017 -- A short essay on a short postseason: Bill Livingston (photos)
    http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/...rt_river_index
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

I thought (at the time) that Green should have pitched the 8th last night. Again, it worked out so I'm not complaining but at the time I was nervous about asking Chapman to get 6 outs, especially with how long he had to sit in the dugout between the 8th and 9th inning.
    Luckily for us, Chapman is one tough hombre.

After Mo lost it in the 9th inning in the 2001 WS, it's the 2nd inning that I worry about. Dillon has been highly ineffective, so if there's a low-risk inning to give us in the LCS, Joe will have to find an excuse to get him some work.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

I posted this on Facebook last night...

Chapman for 6 outs? Expect extra innings.

I was thinking Kahnle for the 8th and I'm glad that Joe had him up in the 9th. Joe needs to be a little bit careful pushing DRob and Chapman so hard.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Aside:

Can John Smoltz be more of an hater?
    He pointed out every negative aspect of what could happen to the Yankees and every positive point for the Indians.
    I dislike him very much.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.”—Hitman23

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Aside:

He pointed out every negative aspect of what could happen to the Yankees and every positive point for the Indians.
    I dislike him very much.
    He's still sore about 1996

As much as his bias can be annoying I do enjoy what he contributes to the art of pitching.
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

Aside:

I dislike him very much.
    I don't dislike him, per se, but yeah the only time he actually shut his mouth was after Gardy's hit drove in those two runs. He was, like, "Welp...eff this. I hate these guys. There I said it," without actually saying it.

Overall I think they need a third guy on that team. And Vasgergian needs to do a little more research. He said several things about the Yankees that weren't quite accurate or were incomplete.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    I don't dislike him, per se, but yeah the only time he actually shut his mouth was after Gardy's hit drove in those two runs. He was, like, "Welp...eff this. I hate these guys. There I said it," without actually saying it.

Overall I think they need a third guy on that team. And Vasgergian needs to do a little more research. He said several things about the Yankees that weren't quite accurate or were incomplete.
    I first remember hearing Vasgersian when he was hosting those heads up poker shows on NBC. He's got a pretty smooth voice. For a national play by play guy, he's pretty good, maybe the guys feeding him the info are screwy. Agreed they need a third guy. Odd that FS1 put Cone as a color on the other ALDS series instead of ours; perhaps to temper the homerism.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Mariano would certainly be bantering good-naturedly with Ortiz, but he would not be brandishing a ring like a clown the way A-Rod has been.

And I say this as someone who's enjoying A-Rod overall -- he's definitely provided some solid analysis. But the ring stuff, along with the gratuitous shots of J-Lo on set, is gross. The poor guy just can't stop parading all of his insecurities in front of cameras at every opportunity ... I actually feel bad for him.

agreed that the ring stuff was too much
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Kelly View Post
    agreed that the ring stuff was too much
    As much as Arod obviously enjoys it, I think Fox loves it and is encouraging him as much as they can (the dedicated closeups, etc). Irritates every non Yankee fan and gets viewers. He's just kind of a heel persona, while providing great info from time to time.

His explanation of why MLB'rs want to spray champagne on each other after winning an early round playoff series was actually kinda good.

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    This was one of my favorite moments EVER as a Yankees fan, and I'm no kid, this ain't my first rodeo, but what we just witnessed, coming all the back from 0-2 and considering THE WAY we lost Game 2, I think the whole world gave us up for dead, most Yankee fans too, DEFINITELY ME, so to comeback and win this series and advance to the ALCS having won three straight games, last one in Cleveland verses the likely Cy Young, other than WINNING THE WORLD SERIES, this is about as satisfying as it gets. Seriously, considering how we all felt after Game 2, I almost can't believe where we are tonight.
    You summarized my feelings. I am basking in the glow of that win all day today.

Vic DiBitetto kills it! LOL

Used to be able to embed videos here - not sure why we can't anymore

Link:
    After Game 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4RL71JbSDE
    After Game 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_UxdNbS5nA
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Carpi View Post
    He's still sore about 1996
    And 1999.

Aside:

I dislike him very much.
    he's mad we destroyed him back in 2009 leading him to be cut from the Sox

Aside:

I dislike him very much.
    That's a really slanted view on a guy who called it straight down the middle and did a good job overall.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    he's mad we destroyed him back in 2009 leading him to be cut from the Sox
    Come to think of it - 1996, 1999, and 2009 mean he has a lot to be angry about.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    That's a really slanted view on a guy who called it straight down the middle and did a good job overall.
    I only listened to the announcers at the end of the game last night and not at all in the other games. In fairness, I have no right to comment on if he was biased or not. I am just having a little fun with Smoltz. I always enjoyed watching him pitch for the Braves, when it wasn't against the Yanks.

Thread Information