+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 27 28 29 30

Re: 2017 ALDS (Yanks Vs Tribe) Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    I only listened to the announcers at the end of the game last night and not at all in the other games. In fairness, I have no right to comment on if he was biased or not. I am just having a little fun with Smoltz. I always enjoyed watching him pitch for the Braves, when it wasn't against the Yanks.
    Anyone who remembers 1999 will know that after the sweep Smoltz gave one of the best, most stand-up interviews that you could imagine. He gave all the credit in the world to the Yankees. I've never had any problem with him at all.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Vic DiBitetto kills it! LOL
    Used to be able to embed videos here - not sure why we can't anymore
    Remove the 's' in https.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Anyone who remembers 1999 will know that after the sweep Smoltz gave one of the best, most stand-up interviews that you could imagine. He gave all the credit in the world to the Yankees. I've never had any problem with him at all.
    I remember being in this weird place. I really wanted the Yanks to sweep, but I had tix for game 5 (at the stadium). I had never been, and still have never been, to a WS game. I kinda wanted the Yanks to drop 1 game, so I could go.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I didn't either - until last night. I heard too many negative references to the Yankees' side. I didn't hear one comment from him about why the Yankees would succeed. Only comments as to why they can fail.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.Hitman23

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Didnt say it doesnt count. If you had a batter who hit 330 and delved further into the numbers and found out he had an insanely high BABIP, you would conclude that his average was flukey and was not sustainable. Their 102 wins was predicated on a 24 game win streak, which has never happened before in the 120 year history of baseball. Think about how many teams and how many games that comprises. Their 102 win pace is not sustainable because it was predicated on a freak occurence.
    That's a really poor analogy. The Indians weren't Ben Gamel -- they had the best pitcher in the league and two other top 10 pitchers in the AL headlining their rotation. A dominant bullpen that was probably second to the Yankees, and a fairly legitimate top-4 in the order with the second best DP combo in the league. You couldn't have been any more off base.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    That's a really poor analogy. The Indians weren't Ben Gamel -- they had the best pitcher in the league and two other top pitchers in the AL headlining their rotation. A dominant bullpen that was probably second to the Yankees, and a fairly legitimate top-4 in the order with the second best DP combo in the league. You couldn't have been any more off base.
    Well done

Theres an old saying though, You are never as good as you look and you are never as bad as you look. The Indians without a doubt one of the two best teams in baseball. To me they clearly did not play their best baseball, But some of that is due to us
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    I don't dislike him, per se, but yeah the only time he actually shut his mouth was after Gardy's hit drove in those two runs. He was, like, "Welp...eff this. I hate these guys. There I said it," without actually saying it.

Overall I think they need a third guy on that team. And Vasgergian needs to do a little more research. He said several things about the Yankees that weren't quite accurate or were incomplete.
    Careful what you wish for. We get JOE BUCK for the ALCS--along with more Smoltz, Ken Rosenthal,and Tom Verducci.

First-ballot Hall of Famer and 1995 World Series Champion John Smoltz reunites with multi-Emmy Award-winning announcer Joe Buck in the booth for the ALCS and World Series games. The team calls its second set of championships together following a highly acclaimed performance in last year’s historic postseason. Veteran Emmy Award-winning reporter Ken Rosenthal and multi-award-winning journalist Tom Verducci join Buck and Smoltz.
    Looks like we are done with Matt Vasgersian.

http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/l...-alive-october

Buck and Smoltz...how to stack the TV booth against us. Sheesh. Worse: same lineup will do the World Series.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Vasgergian wasn't terrible. I would have been fine with him and Smoltz plus Coney or Darling (not sure who he works for though).

Call me crazy but I don't mind Joe Buck most times. There might be a bit of nostalgia factor there though going back to the Torre years.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Vasgergian wasn't terrible. I would have been fine with him and Smoltz plus Coney or Darling (not sure who he works for though).

Call me crazy but I don't mind Joe Buck most times. There might be a bit of nostalgia factor there though going back to the Torre years.
    I said in a lot of the game threads that Vasgersian is one of my favorites. I love the emotion on big plays. His call on Lindor's grand slam was one of his best imo.

Contrast that to Joe Buck, who seemingly doesn't get too excited, and I would much rather have Vasgersian.

Matt is great when he's not talking every single solitary second of every broadcast. I understand the job requires speaking quite a bit but he never let the action speak for itself and would talk around/through Smoltz's speaking points which were hit or miss.

Thread Information