+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF HOF

Pitchers Guaranteed To Get A No Decision After 1 Inning Of A Playoff Game

Before Severino tonight, does anybody know of another pitcher who started and pitched 1 inning or fewer of a playoff game and was guaranteed to get a no decision by the end of the first inning? On another note, does anybody know what pitchers pitched 1 inning or fewer in their first career playoff start?

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Before Severino tonight, does anybody know of another pitcher who started and pitched 1 inning or fewer of a playoff game and was guaranteed to get a no decision by the end of the first inning? On another note, does anybody know what pitchers pitched 1 inning or fewer in their first career playoff start?
    And did Chad Green set a record for consecutive strikeouts in a wild card game?

NYYF Legend

Re: Pitchers Guaranteed To Get A No Decision After 1 Inning Of A Playoff Game

This article would lead me to believe it's never happened before.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/y...ayoff-history/
    Of the 16 previous starts mentioned here, 15 teams with the starter having such a horrible outing lost. The one winner was the 1925 Pirates, who overcome a 1/3-inning, four-run outing from Vic Aldridge to beat the Washington Senators in Game 7 of the World Series.
    In the 1925 game the Pirates did not tie it until the bottom of the 7th before falling behind in t he top of the 8th and scoring 3 in the bottom of the 8th to take the lead for good.

Also I did not go through the game logs to see the opposing team tied the score in the 1st but later lost. It seems unlikely though possible.

Though it's possible it's missing starters who got injured in the 1st and the opposing team did not score a run.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

The first thought that flashed in my mind was Luke Walker in the first WS night game (1971) AKA The Bruce Kison Game, but it didn't qualify because after Walker gave up 3 and got lifted in the first the Pirates only got 2 back. So he still could have lost, though he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

In the 1925 game the Pirates did not tie it until the bottom of the 7th before falling behind in t he top of the 8th and scoring 3 in the bottom of the 8th to take the lead for good.
    The 1925 WS Game 7 is legendary and impactful on baseball history. Much of it was played in a driving rainstorm (I think it was Grantland Rice who said "the field looked like chicken a la king") but it does not fit the criteria because the Senators led 4-0 after 1 so both starting pitchers were eligible for a decision. "Boy Manager" Bucky Harris kind of blew that one because he didn't have the heart to lift "Mr. Senator," Walter Johnson, who ended up spinning a neat complete game 15-hitter

This World Series changed the way award-winners are announced. The MVP, Cy Young (didn't exist in 1925 but whatever), all of those announcements wait until the game action is done. In the 1920s they would announce the MVPs BEFORE the World Series. Senators shortstop Roger Peckinpaugh won the AL MVP and then proceeded to make 8 errors in 7 games, including a few costly ones in Game 7. Since then, no announcing of awards until the action is done.

Also, in an earlier game, this World Series had the mysterious Sam Rice "tumble over the wall" catch, but that's another story.
    Last edited by HelloNewman; 10-10-17 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    The first thought that flashed in my mind was Luke Walker in the first WS night game (1971) AKA The Bruce Kison Game, but it didn't qualify because after Walker gave up 3 and got lifted in the first the Pirates only got 2 back. So he still could have lost, though he didn't.

The 1925 WS Game 7 is legendary and impactful on baseball history. Much of it was played in a driving rainstorm (I think it was Grantland Rice who said "the field looked like chicken a la king") but it does not fit the criteria because the Senators led 4-0 after 1 so both starting pitchers were eligible for a decision. "Boy Manager" Bucky Harris kind of blew that one because he didn't have the heart to lift "Mr. Senator," Walter Johnson, who ended up spinning a neat complete game 15-hitter

This World Series changed the way award-winners are announced. The MVP, Cy Young (didn't exist in 1925 but whatever), all of those announcements wait until the game action is done. In the 1920s they would announce the MVPs BEFORE the World Series. Senators shortstop Roger Peckinpaugh won the AL MVP and then proceeded to make 8 errors in 7 games, including a few costly ones in Game 7. Since then, no announcing of awards until the action is done.

Also, in an earlier game, this World Series had the mysterious Sam Rice "tumble over the wall" catch, but that's another story.
    “At no time did I lose possession of the ball.”

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    “At no time did I lose possession of the ball.”
    Yes. Interesting to me that he chose to play that teasing game for the rest of his life, from what little I know of him he didn't seem like a publicity hound. Statistical milestones weren't considered as important back then as they are now but he did quit while 13 hits away from 3000. I would think that even back then an attention hound would have tried to stick around for 13 more hits.

Supposedly the ump on the play (forget the name) said he considered it a clean catch while Rice was in the field of play and dropping it on the other side of the wall was irrelevant even if he had done it. Of course I have to admit that sounds like Richie Garcia in the Jeffrey Maier game ("Yeah I was wrong, it wasn't a home run, it was a double"). CYA

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Yes. Interesting to me that he chose to play that teasing game for the rest of his life, from what little I know of him he didn't seem like a publicity hound. Statistical milestones weren't considered as important back then as they are now but he did quit while 13 hits away from 3000. I would think that even back then an attention hound would have tried to stick around for 13 more hits.

Supposedly the ump on the play (forget the name) said he considered it a clean catch while Rice was in the field of play and dropping it on the other side of the wall was irrelevant even if he had done it. Of course I have to admit that sounds like Richie Garcia in the Jeffrey Maier game ("Yeah I was wrong, it wasn't a home run, it was a double"). CYA
    No, he doesn’t seem to have been an attention, uh, hound. Apparently he lost his whole family in a terrible tornado (while he was in the minors), and throughout his career and the rest of his life he never mentioned it, at least not publicly.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    No, he doesn’t seem to have been an attention, uh, hound.
    "uh" did i say something objectionable? Are hounds a PC-protected class now? Pray, elucidate.

Was not aware of the tornado story.

I love the 1924-25 Senators. The team the Browns almost had in 1922 but never really had. First "semi-modern" relief pitcher (Firpo Marberry, some would say Doc Crandall on the Giants 15 years earlier but I argue for Marberry), also probably the most rooted-for team in a World Series by nationwide percentage ever (obviously no data, I am guessing). After 3 years of Yankees-Giants (New York has always been hated), Senators had to hold off Yankees late charge in 1924 (I think Ruth batted over .400 the last 3 months), then play the Giants who were hit with a game-fixing scandal just at the start of the Series (O'Connell-Dolan, I'm sure you know it). The whole country except Giants fans were cheering for the Senators in the 1924 WS.

Thread Information