+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 MLB Draft

NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 MLB Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Peterson signed just prior (literally hours) before the deadline. Mets had to give him full slot value.

The Yanks took the strategy/risk of signing their 1st round pick, Schmidt, well below slot. A player who had a 1st-round grade before TJS. And then spread the savings toward overslot selections in the later rounds.

After a calendar year, two of those late overslot picks, Stephan and Whitlock, have performed and progressed faster than Peterson. And Schmidt is set to return pretty shortly.
    You are skipping the part where we gave Matt Sauer 1.25m+ over slot. I would have rather got a slot pick there if need be and signed Peterson.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    You are skipping the part where we gave Matt Sauer 1.25m+ over slot. I would have rather got a slot pick there if need be and signed Peterson.
    Sauer is 18. Gotta wait on someone like that. The little I read on him at the draft last year was very encouraging.

Devoted Member

admittedly not a draftnik. Which player will most you be upset that was available and the Yankees didn't take at #23?
    "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

NYYF Legend

Callis and Mayo have submitted their final mocks.

Callis has the Yankees with Lavigne.

Mayo has them taking Xavier Edwards. Sickels:

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018...-creek-florida

Attending North Broward Prep, he is a plus-makeup, high-intelligence player committed to Vanderbilt and will probably have to go on day one of the draft to pass up college.

He has the tools to do so, beginning with blazing speed, 70-grade at least with some 80-grades. This isn’t just pure speed: he knows how to use properly and could be a truly devastating baserunner, an ideal leadoff hitter if he gets on base enough.

A switch-hitter, Edwards shows a consistent contact-oriented swing and good feel for the strike zone. While he doesn’t have the frame of a power hitter at 5-10, 155, he has some wiry strength and should hit a reasonable number of doubles and triples. The only real lack in Edwards’ offensive game is home run projection.

Edwards shines on defense. Although his arm is just average in terms of strength, it is accurate and he has a quick release. His range is excellent at shortstop and his instincts should allow him to remain there. I think there’s every reason to be confident in his glove
    If he were three inches taller and had a larger frame, he’d be a top ten pick.
    I suspect if it is in fact Edwards a lot of posters here will be angry.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

>>>Can we draft a new director of amateur scouting?

this.

just once, can they please draft somebody who's universally regarded as a good pick for the spot they are drafting.

NYYF Legend

BA's final mock has the Yankees with Jordan Groshans.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesNelsonReilly View Post
    just once, can they please draft somebody who's universally regarded as a good pick for the spot they are drafting.
    If you just want it once, today is your lucky day because it happened just two drafts ago!

Snatch,

Is on the clock in the first round still four minutes?
    Cashman: Death Star Fully Operational

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Based on that write-up. 10/10
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Hjelle under and Becker or Ginn over slot..

NYYF Legend

Calmer than you are

Mods,

Please remove the ban on teknetic for this festive occasion. Thx.

Phil

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Hjelle under and Becker or Ginn over slot..
    Do not understand any 1st round love for Hjelle......it's awfully hard to get 6'11'' of body in sync. Shades of Brackman, only more so.
    Don't have a clue

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Snatch,

Is on the clock in the first round still four minutes?
    Everything I see says nothing has changed about that.

I gave up trying to guess what the Yankees are going to do especially at the #23 pick. Too much crap can happen before they pick as players rise and fall before #23.

Everything I see says nothing has changed about that.
    Thanks.

NYYF Cy Young

Would be happy with X Edwards, as well as Jordyn Adams, Rocker, Casas, or essentially anyone else we've heard as consensus 1st round talent

But.......at the end of the day, I am just a moron in front of a computer screen, while Cashman and co. are the ones who got Judge at pick #32
    Don't have a clue

Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post
    Would be happy with X Edwards, as well as Jordyn Adams, Rocker, Casas, or essentially anyone else we've heard as consensus 1st round talent

But.......at the end of the day, I am just a moron in front of a computer screen, while Cashman and co. are the ones who got Judge at pick #32
    Great post. Only thing I'd add is that you aren't a moron. Anyone who is self-aware, especially a crapshoot like the MLB draft, isn't a moron.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Hell yes to Hankins. This kid was thought of as a top 5 pick at one point: injury derailed his year. We can afford to roll the dice now. The payoff could be huge.
    More I'm reading/watching, more I'm liking Hankins.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Great post. Only thing I'd add is that you aren't a moron. Anyone who is self-aware, especially a crapshoot like the MLB draft, isn't a moron.
    Much appreciated. We would all do well to remember just how unscientific this whole process is even for front offices. I distinctly remember watching us pick Kaprielian in '15, and thinking, "well, that was underwhelming-- a guy with good command, 4 pitches, and middling stuff." Injuries notwithstanding, he added 3 mph out of nowhere, and was on track to be one of the very best pitching prospects in baseball before we used him to acquire Gray. Ya never know.
    Don't have a clue

NYYF Legend

Do not understand any 1st round love for Hjelle......it's awfully hard to get 6'11'' of body in sync. Shades of Brackman, only more so.
    Over draft for first but may not be there in second. It's who you feel will be of value.
    Other then size, i don't see Brackman at all. I want a pitcher who can be dominant. It's always a risk, but when right he can take a game over. Unlike other big men, Hjelle is known for his control. Should his size lend him to gain more Velo, watch out! It's all about projection to me and not a review of how well a said player performed in the past season. 6-11 and sporting a Knuckle Curve sounds good to me..JMO

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Over draft for first but may not be there in second. It's who you feel will be of value.
    Other then size, i don't see Brackman at all. I want a pitcher who can be dominant. It's always a risk, but when right he can take a game over. Unlike other big men, Hjelle is known for his control. Should his size lend him to gain more Velo, watch out! It's all about projection to me and not a review of how well a said player performed in the past season. 6-11 and sporting a Knuckle Curve sounds good to me..
    You know, when you put it that way, he's sort of the pitching version of Judge......massive physicality, large perceived flaw, tremendous upside?
    Don't have a clue

Callis and Mayo have submitted their final mocks.

Callis has the Yankees with Lavigne.

Mayo has them taking Xavier Edwards. Sickels:

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018...-creek-florida

From Sickels' write-up, Edwards sounds very intriguing. I only hate drafting position prospects that have a questionable bat. It seems that those guys rarely work out. That's why I hated the Holder pick. If power projection is the only knock on Edwards, I'm fine with it. Mookie didn't exactly project to hit for much power, and look at him now.

NYYF Legend

You know, when you put it that way, he's sort of the pitching version of Judge......massive physicality, large perceived flaw, tremendous upside?
    That's my take on it. He has fallen through the season but I like the possible upside..JMO

I'm Running For President! NYDCYankee's Avatar

Are we not gamethreading the draft this year? it was always fun to follow.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Thread Information