+ Reply to Thread

I miss the Sandman!!!

On games like this is when I miss the good Mo coming to save us on the 9th

He has his stinkers once in a while but you were able to trust him must of the time, with this guys you never know what is going to happen next

Re: I miss the Sandman!!!

Yep. I miss Miller too. Best out of all of the current Yankee relievers. Yeah, I know he's missed time this year.

NYYF Legend

Legit think he could still be pitching.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Legit think he could still be pitching.

The bullpen we have now is far better then when Mo pitched here. Today's starters average 5 innings a game. Mo rarely pitched more than one inning every three games. If we didn't have the bullpen we have today and had the one we had in Mo's days we would be in trouble.

People forget that Mo ALWAYS went through a two to three week period in midsummer each year when he was off his usual mark.

Mo was great and deserving of the HOF, but please look carefully at what we have today and enjoy it.

Mo will be 48 at the end of Nov this year. It is fun to think he can still hack it, but at his age, as good as he was, he couldn't get his stuff through todays offense.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

He is the best ever, of course we all miss him. Clutch and class!
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    The bullpen we have now is far better then when Mo pitched here. Today's starters average 5 innings a game. Mo rarely pitched more than one inning every three games. If we didn't have the bullpen we have today and had the one we had in Mo's days we would be in trouble.
    Andy
    You think we'd be in trouble with prime Stanton, Nelson and Rivera?
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Need Mendoza, too.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

I Loved the teams of say the past 20 years especially those of the 1996-2000 era. But I prefer to live in the present. I love this team and eagerly await the teams of the next few years. If we want to be nostalgic lets go back to the greatest Yankee teams ever, those from 1949 t0 1964. I grew up in that era. Who could match the arms of Lopat, Reynolds, Raschi and of course Whitey. Page was our fireman. Those were the days when all the games started at 3 PM and ended around 5 PM. That was the origin of the terms "5 O'clock Lightning" and the "Bronx Bombers".
    I vividly remember the spring of my freshman year in HS (1953). Often I cut 6th period and at 2PM I would walk to our town center, catch a bus to NYC ($0.35) and then a subway to YS ($0.10) and for $0.25 but a bleacher seat. I would get there just in time for the start of the game and get home just in time to have dinner with my family. Total cost $1.05. By the way, the course I cut was Algebra and I got an A in it.

Those were the days, but I prefer the present.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

I Loved the teams of say the past 20 years especially those of the 1996-2000 era. But I prefer to live in the present. I love this team and eagerly await the teams of the next few years. If we want to be nostalgic lets go back to the greatest Yankee teams ever, those from 1949 t0 1964. I grew up in that era. Who could match the arms of Lopat, Reynolds, Raschi and of course Whitey. Page was our fireman. Those were the days when all the games started at 3 PM and ended around 5 PM. That was the origin of the terms "5 O'clock Lightning" and the "Bronx Bombers".
    I vividly remember the spring of my freshman year in HS (1953). Often I cut 6th period and at 2PM I would walk to our town center, catch a bus to NYC ($0.35) and then a subway to YS ($0.10) and for $0.25 but a bleacher seat. I would get there just in time for the start of the game and get home just in time to have dinner with my family. Total cost $1.05. By the way, the course I cut was Algebra and I got an A in it.

Andy
    Great post. Thanks!

Nome, you're the best!
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Peoples' memories of Stanton and Nelson are far more positive than their actual performances.

NYYF Legend

Angry Re: I miss the Sandman!!!

Andy
    Great post. I for one miss Sparky Lyle. You did not need a set up guy for him. He would come into the game anytime from the 7th inning on if needed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Great post. I for one miss Sparky Lyle. You did not need a set up guy for him. He would come into the game anytime from the 7th inning on if needed.

Yep. Loved Sparky. While Gossage was also great, and a wonderful signing, the Yankees did not treat the AL Cy Young winner - Sparky Lyle - fairly in the 77-78 off-season when they signed Goose.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    And, we got him for Danny Cater! What an absurd steal THAT was!

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    And, we got him for Danny Cater! What an absurd steal THAT was!
    I remember before the 1970 season, the Yankees traded for Danny Cater, Curt Blefary and Pete Ward, and these veterans were going to lead the young kids (Munson, Kenney, Murcer, Roy White, Johnny Ellis, and 1 or 2 others) back to a winning team.

They were very good, and won 93 games. Young pitching staff - Mel Stott. and Peterson were the old guys in the rotation and both were under 30, and Stan Bahnsen was also there. He was about 25 or so. Not sure who was the closer, but Lindy McDaniel was on those teams, so maybe it was him.

Ward did not do much, and I think Blefary did not hit much. White and Murcer were the main power guys. I think Cater was the everyday 1B, but I can't picture him slugging a bunch of HRs.

Ahhhhh.......... Those were the days.

Thread Information