+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The Hunt For Shohei Ohtani

It's on. He's being posted this offseason.

The quickest way to go from a middle of the pack team to a contender would be by signing an ace-caliber pitcher for under $3M. Almost unfair to the teams that miss out on him.

Suspended

Re: The Hunt For Shohei Otani

@JeffPassan

Shohei Otani will be posted this winter and play Major League Baseball next season, per multiple Japanese reports.

@JeffPassan

One important factor to consider with Shohei Otani. By coming this year, he is giving up literally hundreds of millions of dollars.

New MLB rules keep teams from treating international players under 25 as true free agents. Otani is 23. The max he can get is $10.1M. 2/5

The idea that he won’t sign with X team because of spending restrictions is fallacious. EVERY team is restricted from spending on him. 3/5

By coming for 2018, Otani is saying money is secondary. Which makes the Dodgers and Cubs, with $300K max to spend, plenty big threats. 4/5

Can’t think of a free agency as fascinating as Otani’s will be. Think about it: Free agency where money almost literally isn’t a factor. 5/5

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post

The quickest way to go from a middle of the pack team to a contender would be by signing an ace-caliber pitcher for under $3M. Almost unfair to the teams that miss out on him.
    Passan is trying to make the case that since Otani is passing up big money to come over this year, teams in the penalty are in it as much as anyone.

Edit: see above

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Passan is trying to make the case that since Otani is passing up big money to come over this year, teams in the penalty are in it as much as anyone.

I completely agree wth Passan. It's a case where it's gonna be amazing if we sign him, but complete BS if the Sox/Cubs/LAD sign him.

I think the Yanks should approach him with endorsement deals that are already in the bag. That would be my move.

Wow. Didn't expect this.

Gonna be a crazy offseason battle for him.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post

Disagree with Passan. Getting 300k and getting 3-5m is a massive difference. Obviously money isn't the deciding factor, but it will play.

NYYF Legend

I truly believe Tanaka can be such an advantage for us (they worked out together). I'm wondering what the timeline for the posting is vs Tanaka's opt-out timeline. I feel like the opt-out timeline would be much earlier, so that can actually work against us.

Just get him. Please don't screw this up a la Moncada(to anyone thinking "look at a Moncada now", I say to you look at what Moncada got for the Sox).

Just. Get. Him.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Disagree with Passan. Getting 300k and getting 3-5m is a massive difference. Obviously money is the deciding factor, but it will play.
    I see what Passan is getting at, but all things being equal, 3M sounds a lot better than 300K.

Man, can you imagine...

Severino, Otani, Tanaka, Gray, Montgomery. If they perform to their potential, I don't see a better rotation. Dodgers would be closest if Urias comes back and pitches to his potential.

NYYF Legend

Otani for $2-3M, completely allows the Yanks to bust open the bank for Harper. Think about how cheap this rotation would be - Sevy, Tanaka, Otani, Gray, Monty. That's around $33-35M TOTAL. Price makes $31M alone.

Suspended

About Ohtani the person, not very much. He lives in the team’s dorms and still doesn’t have a driver’s license. If he has any interests outside of baseball, no one seems to know about them.

What is certain is that he is a physical freak of nature, 6 feet 4 with massive shoulders and long limbs. As a right-handed pitcher, he clocked the Japanese league’s fastest-ever pitch at 102.5 mph last year. As a left-handed batter, has smashed 500-foot home runs. And he consistently covers the 90 feet between the batter’s box and first base between 3.8 and 4.0 seconds. (Ichiro Suzuki in his prime was only slightly faster, and he was a slap hitter.)
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...912-story.html

Suspended

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

I truly believe Tanaka can be such an advantage for us (they worked out together). I'm wondering what the timeline for the posting is vs Tanaka's opt-out timeline. I feel like the opt-out timeline would be much earlier, so that can actually work against us.
    Boooo.

That's the same argument Rangers' fans made for Tanaka (albeit not completely true).

Im really expecting him to end up with the Sox. Im not getting fooled again.

NYYF Legend

Disagree with Passan. Getting 300k and getting 3-5m is a massive difference. Obviously money isn't the deciding factor, but it will play.

I agree with this. Money isn't the factor, but he isn't signing for nothing either. I expect him to get at least $1.5- $2.0, if not a bit more.

I also believe that whatever team agrees to allow him to DH (AL) or play the OF (NL) on his off days will be at the top of the list.

Not just Tanaka; Matsui too. He's still in the organization and could play a major role in recruiting Otani for the Yankees.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

I saw you started this thread, Thebo, and I thought maybe Sho'hei Otani was a Jewish holiday I'd never heard of.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

This might be unpopular, but I don't think that's a great ML pitch. It's got some big break, but it's not sharp and is fairly obvious out of his hand. When it's down, it's effective. Way too many of those were up and on one plane.

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    This might be unpopular, but I don't think that's a great ML pitch. It's got some big break, but it's not sharp and is fairly obvious out of his hand. When it's down, it's effective. Way too many of those were up and on one plane.
    At first I was, like, "Oh, great, another armchair pitching coach here" but then I watched the video and I couldn't agree more. I mean, it's just a video and everything is relative (we don't know the count or how well he mixes his pitches, or what other pitches he has) but that pitch, in a vacuum, did not impress me much.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I saw you started this thread, Thebo, and I thought maybe Sho'hei Otani was a Jewish holiday I'd never heard of.

Give him all the dollars.

Then tell him that he'll never be considered great unless he does it on the biggest stage. And that's NYC. Also if he wants to win, look at all this talent we've got, about your age too.

And at least be open to letting him DH on off days.

First comment (by southie):
    "Damn it’s going to suck when the Yankees land this dude."

/sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

From RAB on how much international pool money the Yanks have left after the Rojas signing:

"Bonus information for so many international deals goes unreported, and based on what we know, the Yankees have now spent $4.45M of their $8.3125M bonus pool. It is extremely likely they’ve spent more than that. Not necessarily a lot more — the big bonuses are always reported, but the small six-figure deals add up — but more. And, according to Badler (subs. req’d), the Yankees are still connected to several top unsigned international amateurs"

http://riveraveblues.com/2017/09/yan...spects-160542/

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Boooo.

Im really expecting him to end up with the Sox. Im not getting fooled again.
    I don't know why you would expect the Sox to be a likely competitive destination. They cannot outbid. The local endorsements in New England, while significant, are not nearly equal to the local NY endorsements and exposure. And the Sox certainly do not have the Yankees' international presence. Furthermore, there is a much, much larger Japanese community in NY than in Boston.

The real competitors, I surmise, are on the West coast, where he might prefer to live. I would say the Dodgers, but I think he will prefer the DH slot to playing in the OF, both because the former is less taxing and because it has less of an injury risk. I think the latter concern should be important to him, as an injury, like that of Fowler's, conceivably could cost him the big free agency pay that should come later.

So, I think the Mariners and the Angels are the most important competitors. But I am optimistic, at least if they are sold on him enough to be willing to make some commitments, albeit contingent, on the DH role.

Thread Information