+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6 46 53 54 55 56
Results 1,376 to 1,393 of 1393
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Re: The Hunt For Shohei Ohtani

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Yes. But Andujar and Torres might split the votes allowing someone else to win the award.
    Andujar and Torres split the ticket allowing Max Stassi to stun the baseball world by winning the AL ROY.

NYYFans requires four techs to restore the board to pre-meltdown conditions.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that pitchers lose Rookie status after spending 45 days on the major league roster? Otherwise some back end relievers would be rookies for several years.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that pitchers lose Rookie status after spending 45 days on the major league roster? Otherwise some back end relievers would be rookies for several years.
    You are correct. Ohtani's eligibility is exhausted. He has to win ROY this year or not at all.

It's 120 ABs or 50 innings AND fewer than 45 days on the active roster prior to September 1st (September callup days don't count).
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

The reporter may have jumped the gun on this one.

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

#Angels GM Billy Eppler: “There have been no changes in Ohtani’s diagnosis and neither our physicians nor medical staff have recommended (Tommy John surgery) or said it’s likely.”

The Angels announced Friday that Ohtani has a grade 2 sprain of the UCL in his right elbow.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Aside from Ohhtani (who seems like his season is likely done), what other rookie is even close to Andujar or Torres right now?

Even if it's a split vote, one of them will still win in all likelihood.
    Only June. I still remember when Huston Street came up in July and stole the ROY from one of our guys.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Only June. I still remember when Huston Street came up in July and stole the ROY from one of our guys.
    Street spent his entire rookie year in the majors. He made his debut on 4/6/05..

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&t=p&year=2005
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Street spent his entire rookie year in the majors. He made his debut on 4/6/05..

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&t=p&year=2005
    And if he "stole" the ROY from anyone, it wasn't anyone on the Yankees.

Looks like a bullet was dodged. At best they’re looking at him solely DHing a while unless he winds up getting TJS. We would have Tanaka part 2 on our hands right now. Every outing can be a pitch away from him being gone for over a year to have TJS. As awesome as Ohtani is (I have him in a daily roto league so I get the best of both worlds, pitching on Sunday and the hitting five days after) I’m happy this issue isn’t ours.
    In Cashman I trust.
    Players come and go, flags fly forever.

Well, that was short-lived.

I can't say I'm happy about it, but everyone was a little too enamored with this guy.

Looks like the best off-season move by the Yanks was Ohtani deciding he didn't want to play here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    Well, that was short-lived.

I can't say I'm happy about it, but everyone was a little too enamored with this guy.

Looks like the best off-season move by the Yanks was Ohtani deciding he didn't want to play here.
    It's not like he was bad and it's not as if TJS is a death sentence. The big key here is that he was electric and also cost peanuts for LAA to sign/control.

So, I wouldn't pat yourself on the back too hard. It's likely a shortsighted and short-lived victory for some. If he comes back 100%, and continues to perform the way he has for his pro career, he's still an amazing bargain and possibly the most exciting player in the sport. It's not breaking news that most starters and position players (did you stop being enamored with Gleyber's prospect status after TJS?) have come back 100% from that injury.

What's changed that should stop anyone from being "too enamored" with him, anyway? He exceeded the crazy hype that was built up around his MLB arrival, which was near impossible to do.

The issue is since the Yanks are built/building to win now, something like this would have really hurt them. And with the injuries weve already suffered from the rotation this would have been a gigantic blow.

Future wise, of course hes a bargain and has proven to be a tremendous player. But this would have significantly hurt us even more so than we already are.
    In Cashman I trust.
    Players come and go, flags fly forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    The issue is since the Yanks are built/building to win now, something like this would have really hurt them. And with the injuries we’ve already suffered from the rotation this would have been a gigantic blow.

Future wise, of course he’s a bargain and has proven to be a tremendous player. But this would have significantly hurt us even more so than we already are.
    Precisely. And it's not just this season. There's a chance he misses next season, the longer this goes on. And I don't blame them for going with the additional round of PRP/stem cell therapy. The conservative route is the way to go.

But the outlook of missing 2018-19 is the big issue here. That's a crucial window of opportunity. Forget the Yanks. Poor Trout. The best baseball player on the planet, and he just can't have nice things around him.

NYYF Legend

https://frsbaseball.com/mlb/angels/h...-is-a-new-one/

The Los Angeles Angels seemed to do everything right for two-way sensation Shohei Ohtani, but sources say the Grade 2 tear found is a new tear, unrelated to the Grade 1 tear he was reported to have when he picked the Angels.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Sucks for him, Angels and baseball.

$21M for less than half a season. Kinda stings.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    The issue is since the Yanks are built/building to win now, something like this would have really hurt them. And with the injuries weve already suffered from the rotation this would have been a gigantic blow.

Future wise, of course hes a bargain and has proven to be a tremendous player. But this would have significantly hurt us even more so than we already are.
    If he has signed with the Yankees, Monty would be the one who's out of the rotation. The rotation situation would just be the same as is.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    If he has signed with the Yankees, Monty would be the one who's out of the rotation. The rotation situation would just be the same as is.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    It's not like he was bad and it's not as if TJS is a death sentence. The big key here is that he was electric and also cost peanuts for LAA to sign/control.

So, I wouldn't pat yourself on the back too hard. It's likely a shortsighted and short-lived victory for some. If he comes back 100%, and continues to perform the way he has for his pro career, he's still an amazing bargain and possibly the most exciting player in the sport. It's not breaking news that most starters and position players (did you stop being enamored with Gleyber's prospect status after TJS?) have come back 100% from that injury.

What's changed that should stop anyone from being "too enamored" with him, anyway? He exceeded the crazy hype that was built up around his MLB arrival, which was near impossible to do.
    We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    We'll see.
    This is a more realistic approach, sir.

Thread Information