+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 19 20 21 22

Re: The Hunt For Shohei Ohtani

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Jon Morosi‏
    Verified account

More
    Ohtani told me in that February interview that the Rangers, Dodgers and Giants showed the most interest in him when he was 18; he said he’s played some right field in the past but was not sure if he’d be able to do so at the @MLB level. @MLBNetwork
    He hasn't played a position in 3 years. He's used to being a DH and pitcher only. Ball players are creatures of habit. Plus, he's coming off of ankle surgery. He would place additional risk to his body if he's playing outfield or any position.

I never understood why NL teams would have a clear advantage.
    Last edited by Rollo_T; Yesterday at 07:45 PM.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Was really on the fence about whether I really wanted to post this here, but here it goes (and please don't shoot the messenger):

Ohtani's strong preference is to play on the west coast. If any team based on the west coast is willing to let Ohtani pitch and hit, he won't be coming to the Yankees.

A longtime friend, well connected with a California-based MLB team, who I trust implicitly shared this information with me. Flame away...
    I hope it was the same friend that told you that Cliff Lee was signing with the Yankees back in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I agree that he probably will be a great deal for one lucky team, but to be precise, he is also going to have a "small" salary every year, which hopefully would shoot up in arbitration years, whether or not he is extended. He won't cost just the posting fee and the bonus if he contributes.
    Right but then you're OK paying him.

I believe he will be a Yankee

Maybe it's seasonal bias, but I just hear Sterling caroling "Oh-tani-bomb, Oh-tani-bomb" after his first ML HR.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Maybe it's seasonal bias, but I just hear Sterling caroling "Oh-tani-bomb, Oh-tani-bomb" after his first ML HR.
    Just what we need to add to his collection. I hope he doesn't read this forum.
    Let the kids play.

Was really on the fence about whether I really wanted to post this here, but here it goes (and please don't shoot the messenger):

Ohtani's strong preference is to play on the west coast. If any team based on the west coast is willing to let Ohtani pitch and hit, he won't be coming to the Yankees.

A longtime friend, well connected with a California-based MLB team, who I trust implicitly shared this information with me. Flame away...

This is good news for the Yankees as long time friend posts and a few coming from you never pan out so good news for the Yankees.

So to get this right NONE of the reporters who dig dig dig for any news have never come across this info but a longtime friend hahahahahahaha If people think any of my pasts posts were a waste of space this one here sure is even more.

Tell your friend he should tell the daily news with all his info he could get some big $s but i assume he is rich huh?

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I hope it was the same friend that told you that Cliff Lee was signing with the Yankees back in 2010
    That never happened.

Actually told you that Cliff Lee wanted to re-sign with Texas, and I wasn't wrong. Had the Phillies not stepped in with their massive offer, Lee was going to re-sign with Texas rather than accept an offer with the Yankees....

And it was not the same contact that told me about Ohtani....
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    This is good news for the Yankees as long time friend posts and a few coming from you never pan out so good news for the Yankees.

So to get this right NONE of the reporters who dig dig dig for any news have never come across this info but a longtime friend hahahahahahaha If people think any of my pasts posts were a waste of space this one here sure is even more.

Tell your friend he should tell the daily news with all his info he could get some big $s but i assume he is rich huh?
    Hence why I was on the fence about sharing that info here.
    Clearly, I made a mistake. With comments like yours, I should have just kept it to myself....

Clearly, I made a mistake. With comments like yours, I should have just kept it to myself....
    What I don't understand is why would you even make something like this up? Yeah it happens on the internet, but I don't really understand any reason to do it. Hopefully your friend is wrong.

NYYF Legend

Please don't keep it to yourself. Appreciate your sharing.

NYYF Legend

This really is a huge transaction considering the talent/pay along with the Yanks goal of getting under the tax penalty. Biggest need to "win" this guy ever?!!
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Not that shocking to be honest. I've always thought that Otani will likely end up on the west coast. He seems like a west coast type of kid.

That being said, if any non-west coast team has a chance, it's the Yankees for multiple reasons.

I think it ultimately comes down to the Dodgers or Yankees, which I've said from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27 View Post
    Biggest need to "win" this guy ever?!!
    "Need" is too strong, this team is going to be awesome either way. The Mariners "need" him, the Rangers "need" him, NY or LAD would get a huge boost from him but they are loaded without him too.
    Last edited by jon abbey; Today at 12:21 AM.

NYYF Legend

That never happened.

Actually told you that Cliff Lee wanted to re-sign with Texas, and I wasn't wrong. Had the Phillies not stepped in with their massive offer, Lee was going to re-sign with Texas rather than accept an offer with the Yankees....

And it was not the same contact that told me about Ohtani....
    My bad, this sounds accurate

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post

Kind of unnecessary, especially coming from the guy who was so adamant that Tanaka was not going to be posted, and after being wrong, insisted he was not signing with the Yankees.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Hahahahaha! Brilliant!
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

You have the absolute right to post and should continue to do so.
    And accept props when you’re right and ribbing if you’re wrong
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    You have the absolute right to post and should continue to do so.
    And accept props when you’re right and ribbing if you’re wrong
    Really hope my friend is wrong, because Ohtani is the only player I really want the Yankees to obtain this winter. He just makes so much sense for this team and the cost is a joke.

I would love to eat crow for this. Trust me.

NYYF Legend

Really hope my friend is wrong, because Ohtani is the only player I really want the Yankees to obtain this winter. He just makes so much sense for this team and the cost is a joke.

I have to agree with Lou. You have been here ,ore than long enough to where at least I know you wouldn’t just post something for attention. My hope is that for whatever reason the west coast teams flub the recruitment or the Yanks overwhelm him with it
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

NYYF Legend

It makes sense because Ohtani shall have connection with some MLB teams as he nearly jumped to MLB directly from high school. So I wouldn't be surprise that those teams may feel confident to get him or know some of his preferences.

However, I don't think it would be a deciding factor once all teams have done their presentation to him. The key factor IMO is the plan of his pitching and hitting development. He's being realistic and knows that he's not a finished product. He wants to make history and it would be an epic fail for him if he couldn't at least turn into a decent two way player. Whoever makes him buying in the plan would win out.

Thread Information