+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: The Hunt For Shohei Otani

Probably another over-hyped international player but at least this one won't cost an arm and a leg to whatever team gets him.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Probably another over-hyped international player but at least this one won't cost an arm and a leg to whatever team gets him.
    There's our party pooper. Boooooooooooo!

I don't know anything about this guy but heard he's both a filthy pitcher AND hitter. Kind of makes you wonder why his team will let him go...

Was also reading somewhere that there's 2 minor leaguers with the same two hitting and pitching talents. I wonder how teams will treat them knowing how over protective they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post
    I don't know anything about this guy but heard he's both a filthy pitcher AND hitter. Kind of makes you wonder why his team will let him go...

Was also reading somewhere that there's 2 minor leaguers with the same two hitting and pitching talents. I wonder how teams will treat them knowing how over protective they are.
    You must be talking about Brendan McKay and I'm guessing Hunter Greene. McKay has started his career as a 1B in Tampa's system and Greene did both in Cincinnati's system. They were both drafted this year, Greene second overall and McKay fourth. I think each guy's future is on the mound. Greene is a righty that touches triple digits and McKay throws in the low-to-mid 90s with his left hand.

Otani is the best hitter/pitcher since Steve Nebraska.

A 23-year-old right-handed pitcher and outfielder, as a professional Otani likely would command more than the current record for a Japanese player, set by pitcher Masahiro Tanaka with a $155 million, seven-year deal from the New York Yankees before the 2014 season.
    As of now, the most Otani could get this offseason would be a $3,535,000 signing bonus from Texas or $3.25 million from the Yankees.

People can say its not "all about the money" and him coming now instead of 2 years proves that. but its na´ve to think he doesn't want to "make money", Dodgers can only offer him 300K opposed to the Yankees about 3.5 million + huge endorsements (Dodgers can offer that too) huge Japanese market (Japan loves the Yankees), Yes Dodgers can offer that too, but the Yankees (if they want to) can offer him the chance to DH say 3 to 4 times a week (or more if he's worth it).

don't know about the smaller deals.. but from what I read. Rosas got 1M. Pereira got 1.5 and the other guy (can't remember his name) got 900K.

Yankees had around 8.325M

I think they could offer Otani somewhere around 3M+

Otani has the potential to be a highly marketable player - especially in cities featuring a significant Japanese community.

I believe his ability to earn off the field will play a huge factor in his decision - hence why I feel LA, SF and NY are the heavy favorites.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Otani has the potential to be a highly marketable player - especially in cities featuring a significant Japanese community.

I believe his ability to earn off the field will play a huge factor in his decision - hence why I feel LA, SF and NY are the heavy favorites.
    Agreed and Yanks can also offer 3M opposed to 300K

NYYF Legend

So would he bat for himself on days when he pitches? And how would it work when he is taken out of the game ... would we lose the DH (when we are under AL rules)?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Does anyone know if the yankees can offer a greater signing bonus than the Dodgers can? Having a hard time getting info about that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    So would he bat for himself on days when he pitches? And how would it work when he is taken out of the game ... would we lose the DH (when we are under AL rules)?
    If he pitches and you want him to bat, you can forego the DH. You would just need to pinch hit for the pitcher's spot if you didn't want subsequent pitchers to bat. You'd have one extra bench player for that game.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Does anyone know if the yankees can offer a greater signing bonus than the Dodgers can? Having a hard time getting info about that.
    LAD can only offer him $300K. Yanks can offer him whatever is left of their IFA allotment, which is unclear at this point but can be anywhere from $1.5-3.5M.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    If he pitches and you want him to bat, you can forego the DH. You would just need to pinch hit for the pitcher's spot if you didn't want subsequent pitchers to bat. You'd have one extra bench player for that game.
    Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks. So essentially you are playing by NL rules once he is taken out of the game.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks. So essentially you are playing by NL rules once he is taken out of the game.
    The reality is that you're playing by NL rules when he's actually in the game.

NYYF Legend

I'll believe it when it happens but I agree with others who think he won't be in the USA until 2018 for $$$ reasons.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'll believe it when it happens but I agree with others who think he won't be in the USA until 2018 for $$$ reasons.
    From what I've read, he's motivated more about BASEBALL than money. Lives in a dormitory. Doesn't own a car. He might be more motivated to go to a big name MLB team now, rather than waiting until the payday could be bigger in a couple years, and he might be more inclined to go to a team that can give him some At Bats.

One can hope.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Could Otani bat for himself and say have Headly DH and bat for T. Frazier?

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    Could Otani bat for himself and say have Headly DH and bat for T. Frazier?
    I believe that's possible. I think the designated hitter can hit for anyone, just everyone always uses the pitcher for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    LAD can only offer him $300K. Yanks can offer him whatever is left of their IFA allotment, which is unclear at this point but can be anywhere from $1.5-3.5M.
    Thanks, I was actually being sarcastic given how frequently that information has been repeated in this thread, often by the same poster.

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    I believe that's possible. I think the designated hitter can hit for anyone, just everyone always uses the pitcher for obvious reasons.
    No, the DH can only bat for the pitcher.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    You must be talking about Brendan McKay and I'm guessing Hunter Greene. McKay has started his career as a 1B in Tampa's system and Greene did both in Cincinnati's system. They were both drafted this year, Greene second overall and McKay fourth. I think each guy's future is on the mound. Greene is a righty that touches triple digits and McKay throws in the low-to-mid 90s with his left hand.
    McKay also just absolutely dominated the Staten Island Yankees on the mound in the NYPL playoffs.

Greene came out yesterday or something and said that he's a pitcher for sure - a handful of ABs in SS ball was enough to convince him the gig is up.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

You most likely just wouldn't have him bat on the days he pitches. It's probably not worth it to lose the DH for the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    This is true in some levels of baseball, but in MLB it can only be for the pitcher.

Thread Information