+ Reply to Thread

2017 Oakland Raiders

Offense looks ready. With Patterson, Cook and Lynch additions could be scary good. Wish I could say the same about the defense, its is still an issue. #1 pick not playing yet. Schedule is a tough one.

All things Raider thread...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

Re: 2017 Oakland Raiders

They're still the "Oakland" Raiders? I thought they moved to Las Vegas? Wouldn't that make them the Las Vegas Raiders?
    Obviously I missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    They're still the "Oakland" Raiders? I thought they moved to Las Vegas? Wouldn't that make them the Las Vegas Raiders?
    Obviously I missed something.
    I thought they were moving to San Diego. I can't keep up with the Raiders and their various rumored future location's
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

The move to Vegas is official, but not for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    The move to Vegas is official, but not for several years.
    Football players in Vegas. What possibly could go wrong.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I thought they were moving to San Diego. I can't keep up with the Raiders and their various rumored future location's
    This is apropos of nothing, but your comment got me to thinking: I believe we tend to look at the NFL as being more haphazard in terms of frequent franchise movement than MLB is. So I did an informal canvass, and guess what? 22 of 32 NFL teams are in their original market without having ever moved. In MLB it is 21 of 30, only a slightly higher percentage. I guess the perception exists because the NFL is a "newer" league and has done more recent moving?

Disclaimer: I used 1900 as a cutoff point, which allowed the Pittsburgh Pirates to count as an "original' team (they located to Pittsburgh from Louisville in the 1890s). I also used the current MLB ruling that the 1903 New York Highlanders were a "replacement" team for the 1901-02 Baltimore Orioles, not a "moved" franchise, so the Yankees count as an "original." In NFL I counted the current Cleveland Browns as an "original" and the Ravens as a "moved" team. I'm also exempting the Eagles from the one-year WWII merger with the Steelers, and exempting the Steelers from the one-year WWII mergers with the Eagles and Cardinals.

Yes I have too much free time.

In case anyone is as mentally unbalanced as i am and cares, these are the "movers"

MLB: Nationals (Montreal), Braves (Boston-Milwaukee), Brewers (Seattle), Dodgers (Brooklyn), Giants (New York), Orioles (Milwaukee-St. Louis), Twins (Washington), Rangers (Washington), A's (Philadelphia-Kansas City).

NFL: Chiefs (Dallas), Chargers (Los Angeles-San Diego), Raiders (Los Angeles, soon to be Oakland), Ravens (Cleveland), Colts (Boston-New York-Dallas-Baltimore*), Titans (Houston), Redskins (Boston), Cardinals (Chicago-St. Louis), Rams (Cleveland-Los Angeles-St. Louis), Lions (Portsmouth, Ohio)

* no, seriously (later edit: NFL considers the Colts to be a 1953 expansion team in Baltimore and disregards the Boston-NY-Dallas link, nonetheless they still count for purposes of this "survey")
    Last edited by HelloNewman; 09-02-17 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    This is apropos of nothing, but your comment got me to thinking: I believe we tend to look at the NFL as being more haphazard in terms of frequent franchise movement than MLB is. So I did an informal canvass, and guess what? 22 of 32 NFL teams are in their original market without having ever moved. In MLB it is 21 of 30, only a slightly higher percentage. I guess the perception exists because the NFL is a "newer" league and has done more recent moving?
    I don't think it has to do with the age of the leagues, but rather, as you say, the recency of the moves, which is massively more in the NFL. The Nats are the only mlb team that's moved in the last 45 years. There have been 10 NFL team moves (including the Raiders' pending move, so counting them 3 times) in that same period. For many of us that's our lifetime, so to us it's wildly lopsided for the NFL.

To get back on tract, nice win in Tennessee. Looking forward to the two DB draft picks playing. Lynch didn't look too rusty. Fans will be pumped to see him in his home town for the first time vs JETS. We play the Jets this week and they still need to respect their defense. Could be a trap? Can't let their guard down. Heard +14 which is crazy...

Another nice win against a rebuilding team. Must win early schedule, after Washington its really tough...

Absolutely sucked last night...on to Denver...

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN View Post
    Absolutely sucked last night...on to Denver...
    Thats about all you can say about the Washington game. Im looking for them to play much better this week against Denver.

Another bad game and Carr left the game with an injury. Back to Oakland we go.

Saw that Carr is out 2-6 weeks with a back fracture. So much for it just being back spasms like initially reported.

NYYF Legend

The injury could cost the Raiders a playoff spot.

Raiders are not clicking at all. With Carr out need home cooking to get a couple of wins. This turned ugly quick...

Carr was making light throws in practice. Its looking like he will be out closer to 2 weeks than 6. This could be big for our playoff chances. I just dont want him back to soon and end up hurt again.

Some sources are saying not to count out Carr for this week. I think that is way to soon. Practice is practice. In games you have to take hits.

Raiders lost this in the first 7 mins and fought all day, but still lost. Season getting away from them...

Raiders lost this in the first 7 mins and fought all day, but still lost. Season getting away from them...
    I missed the game but it seems to me like they let last season get in their heads to much and think teams are just going to lay down for them. Im not losing hope but it doesnt look good.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffman View Post
    I missed the game but it seems to me like they let last season get in their heads to much and think teams are just going to lay down for them. Im not losing hope but it doesnt look good.
    They need a win vs San Diego because the following Thursday night they have KC, and they have Superbowl written all over them...The OL seems to be an issue this year, like they got old overnight. Lynch isn't doing much either.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffman View Post
    They need a win vs San Diego because the following Thursday night they have KC, and they have Superbowl written all over them...The OL seems to be an issue this year, like they got old overnight. Lynch isn't doing much either.

From what I am seeing Carr will be back (I hope is is truely healthy and doesnt end up missing the rest of the season by coming back to soon) but like you I am HIGHLY skeptical about the OL protecting him. I thought Lynch would be league average after coming back. The hype doesnt match his performance even a little bit.

Thread Information