+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    God Bless the Scooter NYYFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    2017 Oakland Raiders

    Offense looks ready. With Patterson, Cook and Lynch additions could be scary good. Wish I could say the same about the defense, its is still an issue. #1 pick not playing yet. Schedule is a tough one.

    All things Raider thread...

    'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

  2. #2
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: 2017 Oakland Raiders

    They're still the "Oakland" Raiders? I thought they moved to Las Vegas? Wouldn't that make them the Las Vegas Raiders?
    Obviously I missed something.

  3. #3

    Re: 2017 Oakland Raiders

    Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    They're still the "Oakland" Raiders? I thought they moved to Las Vegas? Wouldn't that make them the Las Vegas Raiders?
    Obviously I missed something.
    I thought they were moving to San Diego. I can't keep up with the Raiders and their various rumored future location's
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  4. #4

    Re: 2017 Oakland Raiders

    The move to Vegas is official, but not for several years.

  5. #5

    Re: 2017 Oakland Raiders

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    The move to Vegas is official, but not for several years.
    Football players in Vegas. What possibly could go wrong.

  6. #6
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2017 Oakland Raiders

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I thought they were moving to San Diego. I can't keep up with the Raiders and their various rumored future location's
    This is apropos of nothing, but your comment got me to thinking: I believe we tend to look at the NFL as being more haphazard in terms of frequent franchise movement than MLB is. So I did an informal canvass, and guess what? 22 of 32 NFL teams are in their original market without having ever moved. In MLB it is 21 of 30, only a slightly higher percentage. I guess the perception exists because the NFL is a "newer" league and has done more recent moving?

    Disclaimer: I used 1900 as a cutoff point, which allowed the Pittsburgh Pirates to count as an "original' team (they located to Pittsburgh from Louisville in the 1890s). I also used the current MLB ruling that the 1903 New York Highlanders were a "replacement" team for the 1901-02 Baltimore Orioles, not a "moved" franchise, so the Yankees count as an "original." In NFL I counted the current Cleveland Browns as an "original" and the Ravens as a "moved" team. I'm also exempting the Eagles from the one-year WWII merger with the Steelers, and exempting the Steelers from the one-year WWII mergers with the Eagles and Cardinals.

    Yes I have too much free time.

    In case anyone is as mentally unbalanced as i am and cares, these are the "movers"

    MLB: Nationals (Montreal), Braves (Boston-Milwaukee), Brewers (Seattle), Dodgers (Brooklyn), Giants (New York), Orioles (Milwaukee-St. Louis), Twins (Washington), Rangers (Washington), A's (Philadelphia-Kansas City).

    NFL: Chiefs (Dallas), Chargers (Los Angeles-San Diego), Raiders (Los Angeles, soon to be Oakland), Ravens (Cleveland), Colts (Boston-New York-Dallas-Baltimore*), Titans (Houston), Redskins (Boston), Cardinals (Chicago-St. Louis), Rams (Cleveland-Los Angeles-St. Louis), Lions (Portsmouth, Ohio)

    * no, seriously (later edit: NFL considers the Colts to be a 1953 expansion team in Baltimore and disregards the Boston-NY-Dallas link, nonetheless they still count for purposes of this "survey")
    Last edited by HelloNewman; 09-02-17 at 04:36 PM.

  7. #7

    Re: 2017 Oakland Raiders

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    This is apropos of nothing, but your comment got me to thinking: I believe we tend to look at the NFL as being more haphazard in terms of frequent franchise movement than MLB is. So I did an informal canvass, and guess what? 22 of 32 NFL teams are in their original market without having ever moved. In MLB it is 21 of 30, only a slightly higher percentage. I guess the perception exists because the NFL is a "newer" league and has done more recent moving?
    I don't think it has to do with the age of the leagues, but rather, as you say, the recency of the moves, which is massively more in the NFL. The Nats are the only mlb team that's moved in the last 45 years. There have been 10 NFL team moves (including the Raiders' pending move, so counting them 3 times) in that same period. For many of us that's our lifetime, so to us it's wildly lopsided for the NFL.

  8. #8
    God Bless the Scooter NYYFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Re: 2017 Oakland Raiders

    To get back on tract, nice win in Tennessee. Looking forward to the two DB draft picks playing. Lynch didn't look too rusty. Fans will be pumped to see him in his home town for the first time vs JETS. We play the Jets this week and they still need to respect their defense. Could be a trap? Can't let their guard down. Heard +14 which is crazy...

  9. #9
    God Bless the Scooter NYYFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Re: 2017 Oakland Raiders

    Another nice win against a rebuilding team. Must win early schedule, after Washington its really tough...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts