+ Reply to Thread

G'day from Downunder

Just thought I would say hi to everybody from beautiful, sunny, Sydney Australia.

What's an Aussie doing being a Yankees fan? Well, my youngest son started playing T-ball, then baseball for about seven years when he was a youngster and, like in most kids sports, his parents were roped in to help out. My wife became the team scorer and I became her part-time assistant (when I was not at work). When he stopped playing, I kept a passing interest in the MLB, but the Dodgers opening the new season at the Sydney Cricket Ground a few years ago re-ignited my interest in the sport.

We made a family trip to NYC in 2009, and had taken the tour of the new Yankee Stadium just a few weeks after the World Series win. Luckily, since then, I have been able to visit the city for work on numerous occasions and have gone to see about four Yankees games at the Stadium. I am now a total Yankees fan and have watched nearly every NYY game this season. My favourite player is Sir Didi, but I really admire the whole team's spirit and camaraderie this season, and I hope that they can progress past the Wild Card game this time around.

I regularly visit the MLB message boards after the games, but the negativity and name calling there is a real turn-off. I hope contributors here are more positive and polite and I will try to remember to spell offence and defence the American way (offense and defense).

NYYF Legend

Re: G'day from Downunder

Welcome!
    Attached Images

Welcome. As winters go, it's not too cold this time of year where you are, right?
    Let the kids play.

Our winters are very mild here compared to New York - only gets down to about 0 Celsius (32 Farenheit) and only snows at a few places high up in the mountains.

NYYF Legend

Visiting your beautiful country has been on my bucket list since I was a little girl. If all goes as planned, I will be there for a big milestone birthday next November.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Fan View Post
    Visiting your beautiful country has been on my bucket list since I was a little girl. If all goes as planned, I will be there for a big milestone birthday next November.
    I hope it works out for you and that you have a great time. It is a beautiful country with lots to see and do, as well as having the world's cutest and cuddliest native animals. Plus, November in Aus will certainly be a lot warmer than in New Jersey!

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

G'Day AussieYank!
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    G'Day AussieYank!
    G'day Mate!

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Fan View Post
    We travel a lot, and we have it on our list as well. It'll be a very long trip as we intend to make long stops in Hawaii and New Zealand as well. I'm thinking this particular trip is 5 to 10 years out though.
    Let the kids play.

Is anyone else reading his posts in an Aussie accent?

Welcome!

Also, long live Graeme Lloyd!
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by AussieYank View Post
    G'day Mate!
    How are things in the Harbour City, mate?

BTW, check your page. I left a message question for you.

Hi BB55,

Tried to answer your question but, being new here, maybe I didn't do it right. Anyway, here was my reply:

"Not sure if you're aware that Aussie Rules has only in the last 30 years or so become a nation-wide sport here. Before then it was largely restricted to Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia. I grew up in Queensland and now live in New South Wales but my allegiance is to my beloved Brisbane Broncos in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. I have also watched the Brisbane AFL teams over the years - first when they were the Bears and then when they merged with Fitzroy to become the Lions. They had a great run a few years back winning three premierships in a row, but aren't doing all that well at the moment. I know the Essendon Bombers have a proud history and a great record, so you've probably picked a good team to support."

In the Harbour City, we are starting to get some of the beautiful early Spring days that were such a hallmark of the 2000 Olympics. I had to do my annual medical for work, so had to watch today's game on replay. Good to see another comfortable win for the Yanks, but wish Cleveland would've made a better fist of it against the Red Sox

Hi BB55,

Tried to answer your question but, being new here, maybe I didn't do it right. Anyway, here was my reply:

"Not sure if you're aware that Aussie Rules has only in the last 30 years or so become a nation-wide sport here. Before then it was largely restricted to Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia. I grew up in Queensland and now live in New South Wales but my allegiance is to my beloved Brisbane Broncos in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. I have also watched the Brisbane AFL teams over the years - first when they were the Bears and then when they merged with Fitzroy to become the Lions. They had a great run a few years back winning three premierships in a row, but aren't doing all that well at the moment. I know the Essendon Bombers have a proud history and a great record, so you've probably picked a good team to support."

In the Harbour City, we are starting to get some of the beautiful early Spring days that were such a hallmark of the 2000 Olympics. I had to do my annual medical for work, so had to watch today's game on replay. Good to see another comfortable win for the Yanks, but wish Cleveland would've made a better fist of it against the Red Sox
    I see.

I also watch both rugby types, but I'm more of a national team rugby follower. Same for cricket.

You follow the cricket too???

You sure you're not an expat?

I must say that I'm impressed when I sometimes hear Kenny Singleton describing a batter's particular swing as "like a cricket shot". Is the T20 (short 3 hour version) of the game getting any traction at all in the US?

You follow the cricket too???

You sure you're not an expat?

I must say that I'm impressed when I sometimes hear Kenny Singleton describing a batter's particular swing as "like a cricket shot". Is the T20 (short 3 hour version) of the game getting any traction at all in the US?
    Not really mate.

Anyways, I have a lot of favorite cricketers including Shane Warne, Ricky Ponting, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Jacob Oram, Daniel Vettori and Sanath Jayasuriya.

NYYF Legend

I've never understood the concept of having more than one favorite of anything.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

...and Welcome to the forum AussieYank.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

We visited Australia in March of '14 and got to see the Dodgers and Diamondbacks at SCG. Great fun! Also went to Cairns, Uluru and Melbourne. Climbed the bridge and toured the Opera House in Sydney. Attended an Australian Rules football game and toured the Great Ocean Road in Melbourne. Wonderful trip. I hope to return one day.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    We visited Australia in March of '14 and got to see the Dodgers and Diamondbacks at SCG. Great fun! Also went to Cairns, Uluru and Melbourne. Climbed the bridge and toured the Opera House in Sydney. Attended an Australian Rules football game and toured the Great Ocean Road in Melbourne. Wonderful trip. I hope to return one day.
    You certainly covered some territory. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the place. They really did an amazing job of converting the SCG into a baseball diamond. There was a rumour going around a while back that the NYY might open the 2018 season here. I would love to see that!!

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    ...and Welcome to the forum AussieYank.
    Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Not really mate.

Anyways, I have a lot of favorite cricketers including Shane Warne, Ricky Ponting, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Jacob Oram, Daniel Vettori and Sanath Jayasuriya.
    That's a pretty talented group!

Thread Information