+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NYYF Legend

Re: Loria agrees to sell Marlins to Sherman/Jeter group. Jeter to take the role of CE

Man,

I would have loved to see all you posters comments about Babe Ruth after the 1927 season. About his eating habits, about his womanizing about his feud ith Gehrig etc.,ything except what a great ballplayer he was.

It is obvious why there are so few posts in the baseball forums. It is poisonous. Just MHO

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Re: Loria agrees to sell Marlins to Sherman/Jeter group. Jeter to take the role of CE

I don't really have a problem with him owning a team. He's retired. He doesn't owe the Yankees anything anymore.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    I don't really have a problem with him owning a team. He's retired. He doesn't owe the Yankees anything anymore.

Very True.

I wish him the best in his new endeavor

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Man,

I would have loved to see all you posters comments about Babe Ruth after the 1927 season. About his eating habits, about his womanizing about his feud ith Gehrig etc.,ything except what a great ballplayer he was.

It is obvious why there are so few posts in the baseball forums. It is poisonous. Just MHO

Andy
    My comments about Jeter have nothing to do with his abilities and accomplishments as a ballplayer - just stating facts about his captaincy.

People wax nostalgic about what a great leader he was, yet there's plenty of evidence that paints Jeter as a horrible captain who put his ego and personal feelings ahead of what was best for the ballclub. Especially when you look at how he completely froze out A-Rod when he was traded to the Yankees.

Not sure how any of that has to do with Babe Ruth's off-the-field shenanigans.

And for the record, Babe and Lou were still on great terms after the '27 season. Their personal issues started many years later...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

clarkspencer‏Verified account @clarkspencer 32m32 minutes ago

Joe Torre on Derek Jeter becoming team owner: "He's going to roll up his sleeves."

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    clarkspencer‏Verified account @clarkspencer 32m32 minutes ago

Joe Torre on Derek Jeter becoming team owner: "He's going to roll up his sleeves."
    I doubt that. He'll work hard, but he won't roll up his sleeves. He's too impeccable for that.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Speaking of rolling up sleeves, ever notice that weathermen often roll up their sleeves when there's a bad snow storm or any kind of severe or inclement weather, as if they're putting greater effort into trying to tackle the pesty storm?

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Speaking of rolling up sleeves, ever notice that weathermen often roll up their sleeves when there's a bad snow storm or any kind of severe or inclement weather, as if they're putting greater effort into trying to tackle the pesty storm?
    That's hillarious!

NYYF Legend

I dont get this, werent the Yankees selling a minority stake in the organization for like $20 million....why didnt he just buy a small piece of the Yankees and get larger pieces are they became available.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    I dont get this, werent the Yankees selling a minority stake in the organization for like $20 million....why didnt he just buy a small piece of the Yankees and get larger pieces are they became available.

Here it goes....

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/n...million-030416

Why didnt Jeter just buy into the Yankees?? And as other minority stake holders sell, buy their pieces. Isn't that what Michael Jordan did?
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    Here it goes....

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/n...million-030416

Why didnt Jeter just buy into the Yankees?? And as other minority stake holders sell, buy their pieces. Isn't that what Michael Jordan did?
    Jeter didn't just want to be a minority partner standing in the shadows - he wants to be hands-on on the baseball ops side of the business, and that just wasn't going to happen with the Yankees. Not as long as Levine and Cashman are running the show.

You guys think Jeter getting crushed after dealing Stanton is warranted?

First, I don't get his role. Is it Owner, GM, or...?

Not sure what the fans in FL are thinking. Not much to do with Stanton but trade him to a rich team in order to free up salary. I guess they thought the new ownership was going to throw money into the team?

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post

Not sure what the fans in FL are thinking. Not much to do with Stanton but trade him to a rich team in order to free up salary. I guess they thought the new ownership was going to throw money into the team?
    They’re thinking the most indictable mugs in all of this are Bud Selig and Rob Manfred for allowing the toxic superfecta of Wayne Huizenga, John Henry, Jeffrey Loria and Bruce Sherman to define the reality of major league baseball in Miami for the past 25 years. The wise ones understand that the Stanton trade, even though it was mishandled, was never going to net a return worthy of the player. They roll their eyes when they see Jeter getting face time at a Dolphin game on Monday night. They understand he’s a figurehead, and rightfully criticize whether or not his heart is in it. Why would it be?

Yankee Stadium would be empty if Baseball allowed that to happen in the Bronx.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post

If you read between the lines most people are not killing him for the trade, I think most understand they sort of had to deal Stanton and that mess was not due to Jeter or his ownership group, it was poo left over from Loria.

But they are killing him for the way the situation was handled, and I agree with that sentiment. It was handled poorly.

I am still dumbfounded by Jeter's indifference to Stanton when he first bought the team. If I had the money to buy any company, and did so, I'd quickly learn who the key players are and meet with all them. Learn from them, and have them understand what I want and my goals. My own company was privately owned for years, then we got bought out, and the new people in power made a point to meet me as one of the senior people with a lot of influence, and it made me feel welcome, and good, and part of the team and plan going forward. It may seem like a little thing, but it's not.

Jeter should have done that with Stanton, and given he is an ex-player who was all about respect, I have no idea how he dropped that one..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    If you read between the lines most people are not killing him for the trade, I think most understand they sort of had to deal Stanton and that mess was not due to Jeter or his ownership group, it was poo left over from Loria.

But they are killing him for the way the situation was handled, and I agree with that sentiment. It was handled poorly.

I am still dumbfounded by Jeter's indifference to Stanton when he first bought the team. If I had the money to buy any company, and did so, I'd quickly learn who the key players are and meet with all them. Learn from them, and have them understand what I want and my goals. My own company was privately owned for years, then we got bought out, and the new people in power made a point to meet me as one of the senior people with a lot of influence, and it made me feel welcome, and good, and part of the team and plan going forward. It may seem like a little thing, but it's not.

Jeter should have done that with Stanton, and given he is an ex-player who was all about respect, I have no idea how he dropped that one..
    Unfortunately, another style to leadership is to make an example of the biggest name on the roster so that the rest know their place.

Me thinks Jeets messed up (in more ways than one).
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Loria left a lot of poo for sure but let's not absolve MLB for allowing in Bruce Sherman, a corporate raider who pretty much destroyed the Knight-Ridder newspaper chain. He never had any intention of spending on this product, and Jeter is his "useful idiot." There was an opinion piece over the weekend that compared Jeter's situation to that in which invading force installs a local political hack as puppet dictator, and that's pretty much what Jeter is now. He's a human shield. Jeter takes the public scorn, Sherman counts the money in the back.

I don't know what the "cure" for Loria should have been but Sherman isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Loria left a lot of poo for sure but let's not absolve MLB for allowing in Bruce Sherman, a corporate raider who pretty much destroyed the Knight-Ridder newspaper chain. He never had any intention of spending on this product, and Jeter is his "useful idiot." There was an opinion piece over the weekend that compared Jeter's situation to that in which invading force installs a local political hack as puppet dictator, and that's pretty much what Jeter is now. He's a human shield. Jeter takes the public scorn, Sherman counts the money in the back.

I don't know what the "cure" for Loria should have been but Sherman isn't it.
    I've been trying to understand if there was any other reason for Jeter to be involved with Sherman other than Sherman was the one who could close the deal on the sale. I wonder the deal had gone through with the Bush group if things would have been handled differently, even if only from a PR perspective.

I heard Jeter's press conference the other day and was surprised how shrill, for lack of a better word, he sounded. I love Jeter, as most Yankee fans do, but have always felt he became thin-skinned, remote, and rather canned in his dealings with press and fans in the later years of his career. That may have been in response to the his overwhelming popularity, the consequent lack of privacy and the tremendous expectation to be perfect. I also believe he contributed to that unrealistic expectation by crafting his image that way.

I also lost a lot of respect for him with the way he handled the A-Rod situation, as many of you folks posted in August. Whatever grudge he held personally, he should have eased A-Rod into the fabric of the clubhouse for the sake of his team.

I am beyond disappointed to see him with another organization but for years he has said he wanted to own a team and you knew it wouldn't be The Yankees. I do believe that he will take his lumps in his new role, learn the ropes, work hard and be fairly successful in his role with The Marlins. Good Luck to him - but not too much luck.

I'd be positively shocked if Jeter is actually given a significant role in the Marlins organization other than as "advisor" or some sorts with a lot of PR duties.

That and when the private equity guys need to cash out in a few years, they'll probably have Jeter on the road show.

Thread Information