+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 79
  1. #26
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    I hate this idea.....I have feared this day for 50 years....this is a horrible manifestation of poor taste. I may have to listen to those weekend games on radio.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

  2. #27
    Member

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    I love it.

  3. #28
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I hate this idea.....I have feared this day for 50 years....this is a horrible manifestation of poor taste. I may have to listen to those weekend games on radio.
    Completely agree. It's a hackneyed idea that represents everything I hate about the current state of sports marketing.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  4. #29
    NYYF Cy Young

    Roberto Kelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    You guys think this is bad, come to a SWB game. There's a sideshow between every damn inning, with a MC with a loud, obnoxious voice and the personality of a used car salesman.
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

  5. #30
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    I had to laugh during last night's broadcast - Coney & Kay suggested that Girardi's nickname should read "THE BINDER". Apparently, he is not putting a nickname on the back of his jersey.

    Other coaches thoughts? Does Espada use WINDMILL? Pena use STOPWATCH? Rothschild WEARINGAPATH?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  6. #31
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    I'm hoping for 'Girardi-ey'
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  7. #32
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I had to laugh during last night's broadcast - Coney & Kay suggested that Girardi's nickname should read "THE BINDER". Apparently, he is not putting a nickname on the back of his jersey.

    Other coaches thoughts? Does Espada use WINDMILL? Pena use STOPWATCH? Rothschild WEARINGAPATH?
    I was hoping for Binder Claus or Bindomatic 5000.

  8. #33
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Kelly View Post
    You guys think this is bad, come to a SWB game. There's a sideshow between every damn inning, with a MC with a loud, obnoxious voice and the personality of a used car salesman.
    For minor league games in small markets I get it. You need to do whatever it takes to put butts in seats. But this is simply another money grab attempt by MLB to sell more merchandise.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  9. #34

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Its just a jersey lol

  10. #35

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Its just a jersey lol
    Maybe. But I see it as representation of something bigger. It's MLB joining the current trend of de-formalizing pretty much everything. I, for one, hate that trend.
    "Everyone needs to shut up about this." - Carsten Charles

  11. #36
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Completely agree. It's a hackneyed idea that represents everything I hate about the current state of sports marketing.
    I can half understand the Mothers and Fathers Day Jersey's because those are to support cancer research. But this is just ridiculous. What next. Stick ball T shirts?

  12. #37
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    For minor league games in small markets I get it. You need to do whatever it takes to put butts in seats. But this is simply another money grab attempt by MLB to sell more merchandise.
    So true. Greed taken to new levels.

  13. #38
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Its just a jersey lol
    I tried to tell myself this. But when I got an email selling the jersey's not 5 minutes after I saw the tweet announcing it, it's not just about the jerseys.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  14. #39

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    This is the first step in MLB becoming the Xtreme Baseball League.





    *Vince McMahon's music plays*
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

  15. #40
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I can half understand the Mothers and Fathers Day Jersey's because those are to support cancer research. But this is just ridiculous. What next. Stick ball T shirts?
    That's just it. At some point the special stuff isn't so special.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  16. #41
    Chapecó, que tristeza theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    I tried to tell myself this. But when I got an email selling the jersey's not 5 minutes after I saw the tweet announcing it, it's not just about the jerseys.
    For anyone who thinks there are limits to what they will do for money, I present this abomination:



    Mr. Tiffany is doing a fidget spin in his grave.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  17. #42
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    Its a cheesy idea but kind of cool. What gives with Gardner, he's just going with Gardner. Makes me wonder what retired guys like Jeter, Teixiera, and ARod would have put.
    I'm guessing that ARod would have gone with the nickname "ARod."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  18. #43

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Robinson Cano chose "Don’t you know". Sterling is in heaven.

    That right there is reason enough they shouldn't be doing this.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  19. #44
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    For once, I agree with a Post editorial:

    Pinstripes lost: a squalid sacrifice of Yankee pride

    No other uniform in all of sports is as timeless and elegant as Yankee pinstripes, which represent more than a century of class. It’s lunacy to abandon it, even for a weekend, for the sake of a marketing stunt.

    Especially when the gimmick also breaks the team’s as-venerable tradition of uniforms showing only players’ numbers, not their names.

  20. #45
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    Maybe. But I see it as representation of something bigger. It's MLB joining the current trend of de-formalizing pretty much everything. I, for one, hate that trend.
    Everyone sees these things differently. I hate formality and cheer for this de-formalization. You aren't wrong for liking it and should seek out opportunities to connect to formalized events. There are still a lot out there.

  21. #46

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    This would be a fun promotion for a Minor League. Straight silly for MLB to be doing it. What are they going to do next year, have a weekend where all 30 teams have a different name (that's the rage in milb promos right now)
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

  22. #47
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    I was a bit surprised by that one too. Especially since he probably could've gotten himself some extra coin by going with Tacoby Bellsbury.

    I am pleased to see that Aaron Hicks and I like some of the same comedy sketches.
    Or the Ell$bury Dough Boy

  23. #48
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    This would be a fun promotion for a Minor League. Straight silly for MLB to be doing it. What are they going to do next year, have a weekend where all 30 teams have a different name (that's the rage in milb promos right now)
    I would be OK with a bat dog

  24. #49

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I would be OK with a bat dog
    Unfortunately Rookie's promotion to SWB only lasted 1 day
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

  25. #50
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: Nicknames on Yankee Uniforms, August 25-27

    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Unfortunately Rookie's promotion to SWB only lasted 1 day
    Rookie called up to Scranton? How did I miss that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts