+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Proposal to Fix the League

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Where do you draw the line? What if a team is 2-9 in June, or 0-8 in May?
    We wouldn't be judging based on a record, we'd just be saying "no dump trades before X date". Doesn't matter if you're 0-8 or 5-5.

It's time for fantasy baseball gdn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    dump trades are obvious man. I don't think it's something you can or need to define.
    Of course you do. If I'm 3-4 and give up a stud like Trout for 2 keepers, is that a dump trade?

Quote Originally Posted by gdn View Post
    Of course you do. If I'm 3-4 and give up a stud like Trout for 2 keepers, is that a dump trade?
    If the two players going back to you are worthy of sending back Mike Trout on their own for the current season, than no.

Are the two players minor league players? Absolutely a dump trade.

If the two players are valuable because of their keeper status and keeper value is what evens out the trade, than it's a dump.

If the two players going back to you are worthy of sending back Mike Trout on their own for the current season, than no. If keeper value is what evens out the trade, than it's a dump.

Are the two players minor league players? Absolutely a dump trade.
    What if they're minor leaguers who are coming up this season who are top prospects? I mean, I'm sure you can imagine scenarios where it's a complicated question and far muddier than 'established MLB player for mL/ML keepers".

What if they're minor leaguers who are coming up this season who are top prospects? I mean, I'm sure you can imagine scenarios where it's a complicated question and far muddier than 'established MLB player for mL/ML keepers".
    It's a dump.

It's pretty simple. If when you, or whoever is commissioner, have to evaluate the trade, and after doing your analysis you conclude that the only reason you're going to hit "accept trade" is because the keeper value makes it okay, it's a dump trade. I don't think you can set up parameters. Everyone in the league knows what a dump trade looks like.

It's pretty simple. If when you, or whoever is commissioner, have to evaluate the trade, and after doing your analysis you conclude that the only reason you're going to hit "accept trade" is because the keeper value makes it okay, it's a dump trade. I don't think you can set up parameters. Everyone in the league knows what a dump trade looks like.
    I think you're underestimating the complexities. We need to have some clear guidelines.

Devoted Member

I think our focus here should be to see what can be done to make owners less likely to do dump trades early, rather than setting up complex rules about making trades illegal. A good starting point will be increasing the number of playoff teams. I am pretty certain early dump trades will decrease significantly if 8 teams make the playoffs (even if we increase to 20 teams).

I think you're underestimating the complexities. We need to have some clear guidelines.
    I think you're over-complicating something that everyone in this league could clearly see just by looking at a trade.

Yes, I understand there should be some guidelines. But discretion is going to have to be a main factor here. Everyone here is smart enough.

Yeah I'm not really thrilled about the idea of making rules limiting the way people are able to manage their own teams. I think it makes a lot more sense to incentivize keeping your good players. It actually wouldn't be too hard given we're in a point based league. Reward people for having more points. Be that through the draft, minor league draft, playoff spots, prizes. It's going to do 2 things, keep players on their teams longer and also keep people interested longer, all without mandating who and when people can trade.

Perhaps another way to incentivize keeping your players is to assign a significantly better value to keepers on your team you attain either by draft, free agency or your minor leagues. If you acquire a player via trade his keeper value diminishes enough to make him less valuable to the team that gets him giving them less of a reason to give away their stud players. Or at least multiple studs for one guy.

What if the draft order for the 1st round stays as it has been, but the second round is sorted by points earned regardless of playoff considerations. It would then just follow traditional snake format. Would be easier to explain if the draft order was final but essentially it would reward people who kept their points totals up and knock people who didn't. Nothing crazy but getting picks 1 and 24 is better than 1 and 36. While lowest point total would get 13 and 36 (but then 37 on the turn). Does that punish sellers and reward people who keep their players? Maybe needs some more tinkering...

Thread Information