+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    2013 NYYFans Fantasy Champ miko's Avatar

Proposal to Fix the League

Just wondering since we cut the number of divisions down (losing one playoff spot in the process) if maybe we created a league with too many people tanking and the few teams remaining become super teams.

I currently commish a 16 team local cash league based pretty much off our scoring system. We have 4 divisions of 4 and the top two teams in each division make the playoffs. Our schedule is one where you play everyone in the league once and in your division twice. With the trade deadline looming there is only 1 team that is not in the playoff hunt.

I am wondering if something similar can be set up in our league where the top 2 teams in each division & the points WC and record WC all make the playoffs. We currently run a WC playoff week that is really only of interest to 2 teams. Instead of only having 5 teams make the playoffs why not 8? I think you would see more people stay interested later into the season and you would also see less dump trades early on.

Using current standings for today, our league would have....

Gehrig Division
    Romanians 13-4
    Marauders 11-6
    Force 10-7
    Sluggo 9-8
    Woodies 9-8
    Lou's 5-12

Dimaggio Division
    Express 12-5
    Empire 10-7
    Longnames 10-7
    Jacks 8-9
    Judgement Day 5-12
    Try2BeatMe 5-12

Mantle Divsion
    Springfield 11-6
    Buckeyes 10-7
    Ligers 9-8
    Punks 6-11
    Achievers 6-11
    Wolverines 4-13

There would still be 12 teams within 2 games of a playoff spot (with interdivisional games still to come) making it more of a buyer's market. I dunno. I hope one or two of you read this to the end. 8 teams in the playoffs make it a little more interesting. I know I tune out once I am eliminated as I am sure a few others do as well. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by miko; 08-04-17 at 08:23 AM.
    2014 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball : Miko's Marauders
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012 & 2014 Gehrig Division Champs!!!
    2013 & 2014 NYYFans Fantasy Champjon

Rest in Peace Pete!

NYYF Legend

Re: Proposal to Fix the League

Interesting. One negative is that the buyers would have less sellers to bargain with.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Interesting. One negative is that the buyers would have less sellers to bargain with.
    Exactly! I think that could be a good thing. As it is right now we have about 12 teams selling before the deadline.

Devoted Member

I would be very much in favor of something like this. From 5 to 8 seems reasonable to me. It'd still be less than half the teams making the playoffs, but it would keep most teams involved much longer.

It's time for fantasy baseball gdn's Avatar

I'd be fine with it. I also think we need to do something about objections. We need someone to PM the commish with a rationale for objecting/approving.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

That works, though nobody gets a bye in the playoffs, which I'm OK with.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I also agree with Jerry the Canadian. I still think knocking off a contender is fun, so I am interested despite being 6-11.

NYYF Legend

I'd be cool with more playoff teams.

NYYF Legend

I'm for this as well. I especially like the multi-colored presentation by Miko. Very professionally done.

I'm for this as well. I especially like the multi-colored presentation by Miko. Very professionally done.
    It made me dizzy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    It made me dizzy.
    Your trade offer for Judge made me dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I also agree with Jerry the Canadian. I still think knocking off a contender is fun, so I am interested despite being 6-11.
    I wasn't pointing anyone out. I was merely saying that it gets less exciting for some.

Your trade offer for Judge made me dizzy.
    Bazinga!

Steve is currently on a one week ban from the forum but he can view as a guest.

He told me to say that he is also in favour of this change.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    That works, though nobody gets a bye in the playoffs, which I'm OK with.
    A bye in the playoffs isn't really a huge advantage and in some cases it could hurt you.
    If you had 9 starts in the bye week and never got to play and then only 6 the following week you sat out a good week instead of being able to send someone home. It obviously could work the other way as well. I just see wild card week as such a waste as only 2 teams are playing.

Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar

Eight playoff teams IMO is too many. If we were to add top two in each division I would want to drop the Wildcards.

I think miko has lived in Canada too long, and so he thinks every league should be like the NHL and we're pretty much everybody makes the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Flanders View Post
    Eight playoff teams IMO is too many. If we were to add top two in each division I would want to drop the Wildcards.

I think miko has lived in Canada too long, and so he thinks every league should be like the NHL and we're pretty much everybody makes the playoffs.
    It's not even 50% of the teams. Your opinion doesn't matter anyways. I think you are still on pain meds. LOL

I've been banging this drum since joining the league but I feel like attaching a prize payout would keep people invested and discourage early tanking as well. With a league this size even a small league fee turns into a decent prize.

I have no problem increasing the number of playoff teams.

Quote Originally Posted by miko View Post
    It's not even 50% of the teams. Your opinion doesn't matter anyways. I think you are still on pain meds. LOL
    It's almost half the teams. It's too many and it renders a lot of the regular season meaningless. Let's face it, the playoffs are a crapshoot. Teams rest players, guys take days off.

Finishing eighth best of 18 should not be rewarded with a champjonship.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Flanders View Post
    It's almost half the teams. It's too many and it renders a lot of the regular season meaningless. Let's face it, the playoffs are a crapshoot. Teams rest players, guys take days off.

Finishing eighth best of 18 should not be rewarded with a champjonship.
    Sure it should. That's what playoffs are all about. Second season? Come on man. What if you have been riddled with injuries all year and just got your sh!t together by the playoffs? I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here. What happens in weeks 1-4 shouldn't destroy your chances of winning the league. As we are today an 0-4 team is likely to sell. Adding the extra spots, if you started 0-4 you still have a shot at a second place finish or a Wild Card spot. I think actually nullifies the bad beats that some teams take during the season.

Plus, the way the divisions are lined up we have to play inter-divisional twice. If John Jr runs away with it what fun is it for the other 5 teams in his division. Or, if you have a very strong division you end up beating the crap out of each other and maybe the 6th place team is better than the 2nd seed. Drink the Kool-Aid bud.

Steve is currently on a one week ban from the forum but he can view as a guest.

He told me to say that he is also in favour of this change.
    What did Steve do?

Sure it should. That's what playoffs are all about. Second season? Come on man. What if you have been riddled with injuries all year and just got your sh!t together by the playoffs? I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here. What happens in weeks 1-4 shouldn't destroy your chances of winning the league. As we are today an 0-4 team is likely to sell. Adding the extra spots, if you started 0-4 you still have a shot at a second place finish or a Wild Card spot. I think actually nullifies the bad beats that some teams take during the season.

Plus, the way the divisions are lined up we have to play inter-divisional twice. If John Jr runs away with it what fun is it for the other 5 teams in his division. Or, if you have a very strong division you end up beating the crap out of each other and maybe the 6th place team is better than the 2nd seed. Drink the Kool-Aid bud.
    We play from April through September. I hardly think the first four weeks define a season.

If it's a very strong division, we have TWO wild cards.

I grew up watching baseball have four divisions with 4 playoff teams. Then 30 teams with 8 playoff teams. Now it's 30 teams with 10 playoff teams (although let's discard the wildcRd one game playoff as it doesn't fit into our current formats).

What you're proposing is 18 teams with 8 playoff teams. When anyone proposed tracing draft picks, the answer was "well, MLB doesn't allow it. We don't either". The NHL does.

This is a fantasy BASEBALL league. Not a fantasy HOCKEY league. I support a post season, not a "second season." I am also an NHL fan, but I am able to separate both of them. Baseball should not have nearly half the league make the playoffs

That is not a league I would be interested in. If it is forced on this league I would lose all interest.

The reason I still play here - and it's the ONLY non-cash league I play, is because we have 18 (nee 20 RIP) teams, and it has a minors and keeper system, and is COMPETITIVE and DIFFICULT to make the playoffs.

I have spent 14 years in this league. I feel like making it a free for all "who gets lucky at the end of the year" fest is something I have no interest in.

People get injured! It happens. It's part of baseball.

Let's respect the sport we are emulating here. I have played in multiple champjonships but never won the title, so I'm not speaking as if this is something of benefit to me

Just don't kill what makes this league different.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Springfield Nuclear Power Plant
    World's Greatest Yankee Blog

NYYF Legend

How about 6 playoff teams ??

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by The FUTURE View Post
    How about 6 playoff teams ??
    6 playoff teams is better than 5 playoff teams. I would be in favor.

I am not talking about hockey playoffs at all. That is your reference not mine.
    The divisions have become quite large. 6 teams in each. I don't mind your 1st place only idea if the divisions were smaller or we were back at 20 teams.

Thread Information