+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where is A Rod?

Re: Where is A Rod?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Spelling nazi!

(I thought those spellings were some interesting dialectical variation, maybe how they write English in some "exotic country." And he did say "girlfriend(s)," not naming names, so that leaves A-Rod a lot of leeway in his choice of companion(s).)

(Oh, and assuming you meant the tequila ... it's Patrón. With an ó.)
    Nah. Just didn't like his condescending, ridiculing comment about toilet cleaners, so I decided to take it there. And you're correct, it's "Patrón"

BTW, I dislike spelling Nazis myself!

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    BTW, I dislike spelling Nazis myself!
    Oh, that's an easy one. N-a-z-i-s.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Oh, that's an easy one. N-a-z-i-s.
    Good one

Doesn't he work for Fox Sports and FS1? He's an analyst, no?
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

NYYF Legend

Before J-Lo, he was dating Silicon Valley bigwig Anne Wojcicki. Who apparently didn't know from baseball.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/18/s...-genetics.html

Two years ago, through friends, Ms. Wojcicki met a strapping man who represented every woman’s dream of how you one-up an ex, especially a Silicon Valley nerd.

“Do you know anything about baseball?” Ms. Wojcicki asked her friend Michael Specter, a New Yorker staff writer.

“I know how many innings there are, which is more than you know,” he replied.

“I think I’m starting to date a baseball player,” she said. Mr. Specter assumed she meant a lawyer who played baseball on the weekends.

“His name is Alex Rodriguez,” she said. “I think he plays for the Yankees.”

Mr. Specter explained to the woman who had never attended a professional baseball game that her new suitor was one of the 10 best baseball players who ever lived.

“When I started dating Alex,” Ms. Wojcicki says, “my mom was like, ‘What’s an A-Rod?’ I was like, ‘Mom, that’s his name.’”

Anne Wojcicki’s mom: A-Rod was too dumb for my daughter

There’s no polite way to put this: Anne Wojcicki’s mom thinks A-Rod’s a moron.

In a profile of her 23andMe exec daughter — who dated Alex Rodriguez for most of 2016 — Esther Wojcicki told the New York Times, “I liked A-Rod, he was a very nice man,” and that “he seemed to be genuinely in love with Anne. But I right away figured out this was a mismatch. He had no academic background. We couldn’t have an intellectual conversation about anything. His main interest in life was something that none of us had ever focused on, which was baseball.”

Of Rodriguez’s new girlfriend, Esther said, “I wish J.Lo all the luck in the world.”
    https://pagesix.com/2017/11/20/anne-...r-my-daughter/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Anne Wojcicki’s mom: A-Rod was too dumb for my daughter

https://pagesix.com/2017/11/20/anne-...r-my-daughter/
    That is, in fact, taken from the story I linked to in the immediately preceding post. But I don't think that's what she's saying at all. She doesn't say he was "dumb," let alone a "moron," just that he came from a different background (not academic) and had different interests (baseball, baseball, baseball). So they didn't have much to talk about.

Anne herself said:
    “Alex is a really sweet guy. He’s a smart guy. He’s a good person. Alex lives in this world of cash-flow businesses, and Silicon Valley lives in this world of the potential of the future. So it was actually kind of a really fun conversation. Alex was really into car dealerships, and I was like, ‘We’re all about self-driving cars. Nobody’s going to buy a car. You want to buy a car dealership? I’m going to short your car dealership.’”

NYYF Legend

That is, in fact, taken from the story I linked to in the immediately preceding post. But I don't think that's what she's saying at all. She doesn't say he was "dumb," let alone a "moron," just that he came from a different background (not academic) and had different interests (baseball, baseball, baseball). So they didn't have much to talk about.

Anne herself said:
    The New York Post with a headline that reads stuff into things that aren't there? No way!

NYYF Legend

Anne herself said:
    Her mom did say that they couldn’t have an intellectual conversation about anything with A-Rod, quoted from the link you provided. She basically said, 'He's nice but he's dumb.'

NYYF Legend

I very seldom have intellectual conversations with anyone on this Forum. Nevertheless, I am quite convinced that not all members here are dumb, and very few are morons.

But yeah, the Post will be the Post.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Moving to the WGAS forum.
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Her mom did say that they couldn’t have an intellectual conversation about anything with A-Rod, quoted from the link you provided. She basically said, 'He's nice but he's dumb.'
    No, that's really not what she said at all. She said, directly, "He's a smart guy." Which part of "smart guy" speaks to you as "dumb"?

Plenty of smart people aren’t intellectuals.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Plenty of smart people aren’t intellectuals.
    ...and plenty of "intellectuals" aren't as smart as they think they are.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

She basically said their lives don't overlap at all.

I know plenty of smart people (like genius level smart) who wouldn't be able to hold intellectual conversations about startups or self-driving cars. It's not that they can't learn about it. It's they just don't care about it.

That said. I think she's saying ARod is uneducated, not stupid. You could also read her comments as saying "professional athletes that didn't go to college" are unsuitable for my daughter.

Thread Information