+ Reply to Thread

Predict the 2018 40 man roster

With 9 days to go until the non-waiver trade deadline... It would be fun to guesstimate how many of today's 40 man roster (there are 43 listed names with 3 players currently on the 60 day DL) will be on the official 40 man roster opening day 2018.

Currently there are 5 players (Holiday, Frazier, Garcia, Sabathia & Pineda) who will be UFA's at season end. There are others who could be non-tendered this offseason and there are a host of potential trades that can/will take place.

PITCHERS (15/22 remain)

1. Dellin Betances
    2. Luis Cessa
    3. Aroldis Chapman
    4. Dietrich Enns
    5. Giovanny Gallegos
    6. Domingo German
    7. Chad Green
    8. Ronald Herrera
    9. Ben Heller
    10. Jonathan Holder
    11. Tommy Kahnle
    12. Bryan Mitchell
    13. Jordan Montgomery
    14. Michael Pineda
    15. Yelfrey Ramirez
    16. David Robertson
    17. CC Sabathia
    18. Luis Severino
    19. Chase Shreve
    20. Caleb Smith
    21. Masashiro Tanaka
    22. Adam Warren

POSITIONAL PLAYERS (14/21)

CATCHERS (3/3)

23. Kyle Higashioka
    24. Austin Romine
    25. Gary Sanchez

INFIELDERS (6/11)

26. Miguel Andujar
    27. Tyler Austin
    28. Greg Bird
    29. Starlin Castro
    30. Garrett Cooper
    31. Todd Frazier
    32. Didi Gregorius
    33. Chase Headley
    34. Jorge Mateo
    35. Ronald Torreyes
    36. Tyler Wade

OUTFIELDERS (5/6)

37. Jacoby Ellsbury
    38. Dustin Fowler
    39. Clint Frazier
    40. Brett Gardner
    41. Aaron Hicks
    42. Aaron Judge

DESIGNATED HITTER (0/1)

43. Matt Holiday

My guess will be 22 players of the 43 will be kept.

Pitchers - 12 - Betances, Chapman, Gallegos, Green, Heller, Kahnle, Montgomery, Robertson, Severino, Smith, Tanaka (resigned as FA), Warren

Position Players - 10 - Sanchez, Romine, Andujar, Bird, Gregorius, Wade, Fowler, Frazier, Gardner, Judge

To improve SP next year - I can see Castro, Mateo & Hicks being utilized to acquire controllable SP (*update - Mateo & Fowler were 2/3 players to acquire Sonny Gray). Ellsbury will receive the panda treatment after Cashman tries his best to unload him with SF to acquire pitching (swapping out sunk costs).

If you are looking at players to be traded before the offseason - look at those fringe holding 40 man spots - (Ramirez, Higashioka, Herrera, Shreve, Mitchell, Cessa, Holder, Heller) Some likely will be either or (Cessa/Mitchell; Holder/Heller)... but I can definitely see a major purge since they'll need to be 5-6 players protected this Rule V plus picking up another 5-6 via free agency.
    Last edited by groundhoggator; 12-12-17 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Headley & Mitchell traded to SD

Re: Predict the 2018 40 man roster

Enns just removed off roster.

38 players remain (43 - 4 FA's and Enns)

You need to add estrada, ace, abreu and torres. They are all rule 5 eligible
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    Yup. Didn't take that into consideration last night when thinking of trade
    Posts in invisible key strokes

And subtract Gallegos, Mitchell, Cessa without blinking.

Edit: Todd Frasier, Pineda, CC

I 100% agree they will be added...

I was viewing this under the lens of taking the existing 40 man roster (43 names) and seeing what remains after a trade deadline and offseason). My guess is that only 22 of 43 names will remain - opening up 18 slots for players that you mentioned.

NYYF Legend

Posts in invisible key strokes

35/43 players remain - w/ Fowler, Mateo & Ramirez traded today.

Quote Originally Posted by groundhoggator View Post
    With 9 days to go until the non-waiver trade deadline... It would be fun to guesstimate how many of today's 40 man roster (there are 43 listed names with 3 players currently on the 60 day DL) will be on the official 40 man roster opening day 2018.

Currently there are 5 players (Holiday, Frazier, Garcia, Sabathia & Pineda) who will be UFA's at season end. There are others who could be non-tendered this offseason and there are a host of potential trades that can/will take place.

PITCHERS (22)

1. Dellin Betances
    2. Luis Cessa
    3. Aroldis Chapman
    4. Dietrich Enns
    5. Giovanny Gallegos
    6. Domingo German
    7. Chad Green
    8. Ronald Herrera
    9. Ben Heller
    10. Jonathan Holder
    11. Tommy Kahnle
    12. Bryan Mitchell
    13. Jordan Montgomery
    14. Michael Pineda
    15. Yelfrey Ramirez
    16. David Robertson
    17. CC Sabathia
    18. Luis Severino
    19. Chase Shreve
    20. Caleb Smith
    21. Masashiro Tanaka
    22. Adam Warren

POSITIONAL PLAYERS (21)

CATCHERS (3)

23. Kyle Higashioka
    24. Austin Romine
    25. Gary Sanchez

INFIELDERS (11)

26. Miguel Andujar
    27. Tyler Austin
    28. Greg Bird
    29. Starlin Castro
    30. Garrett Cooper
    31. Todd Frazier
    32. Didi Gregorius
    33. Chase Headley
    34. Jorge Mateo
    35. Ronald Torreyes
    36. Tyler Wade

OUTFIELDERS (6)

37. Jacoby Ellsbury
    38. Dustin Fowler
    39. Clint Frazier
    40. Brett Gardner
    41. Aaron Hicks
    42. Aaron Judge

DESIGNATED HITTER (1)

43. Matt Holiday

Pitchers - 12 - Betances, Chapman, Gallegos, Green, Heller, Kahnle, Montgomery, Robertson, Severino, Smith, Tanaka (resigned as FA), Warren

Position Players - 10 - Sanchez, Romine, Andujar, Bird, Gregorius, Wade, Fowler, Frazier, Gardner, Judge

To improve SP next year - I can see Castro, Mateo & Hicks being utilized to acquire controllable SP (*update - Mateo & Fowler were 2/3 players to acquire Sonny Gray). Ellsbury will receive the panda treatment after Cashman tries his best to unload him with SF to acquire pitching (swapping out sunk costs).

If you are looking at players to be traded before the offseason - look at those fringe holding 40 man spots - (Ramirez, Higashioka, Herrera, Shreve, Mitchell, Cessa, Holder, Heller) Some likely will be either or (Cessa/Mitchell; Holder/Heller)... but I can definitely see a major purge since they'll need to be 5-6 players protected this Rule V plus picking up another 5-6 via free agency.
    With the possibility of the season ending tonight - wanted to provide a template of what it looked like back at the trade deadline heading into next season - we're in a better position with Sonny Gray than prior.

Post July 22nd trade/roster impacts:

2018 - Keepers - Sonny Gray

2018 - FA's or non-tenders - Jaime Garcia & Eric Kratz

NYYF Legend

With the possibility of the season ending tonight - wanted to provide a template of what it looked like back at the trade deadline heading into next season - we're in a better position with Sonny Gray than prior.

Post July 22nd trade/roster impacts:

2018 - Keepers - Sonny Gray

2018 - FA's or non-tenders - Jaime Garcia & Eric Kratz

Kratz might replace Higgy as the 3rd string Catcher, if the Yankees don't think Higgy has a future.

well there will be no Girardi managing the team in 2018.

NYYF Legend

well there will be no Girardi managing the team in 2018.
    Let's hope the new manager isn't on the 40 man roster, either! Though who knows ... a throwback to the player-manager days might be an interesting experiment. Todd Frazier, how about it?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Kratz might replace Higgy as the 3rd string Catcher, if the Yankees don't think Higgy has a future.
    Sorry for late reply but if my guy Kratz has any future in this organization, it's to grab any low-minors coaching gig available and try to work his way up -- which he well might be able to do if he wants to try it, he comes across as a smart guy and solid citizen. But he's 37 years old and if the Detroit brawl and Higgy's injury hadn't created a short-term depth crisis, he wouldn't have been traded for and wouldn't have even gotten the limited MLB playing time he got in September. His playing career is just about over.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Let's hope the new manager isn't on the 40 man roster, either! Though who knows ... a throwback to the player-manager days might be an interesting experiment. Todd Frazier, how about it?
    Well somebody suggested CC Sabathia for manager in another thread so I guess anything's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Actually this is a ploy to land Otani, they will let him be SP/DH/manager.

Here is my quick guess at a 40 man list for the rule 5:

==================================

Protected now:

Pitchers (19):

Luis Severino
    Sonny Gray
    Masahiro Tanaka (he has until three days after the World Series to decide whether to stay for 3/67 or opt out)
    Jordan Montgomery

Adam Warren
    Dellin Betances
    Chad Green
    Tommy Kahnle
    David Robertson
    Aroldis Chapman

Luis Cessa
    Giovanny Gallegos
    Domingo German
    Ben Heller
    Ronald Herrera
    Jonathan Holder
    Bryan Mitchell
    Chasen Shreve
    Caleb Smith

Catchers (3):

Gary Sanchez
    Austin Romine

Kyle Higashioka

Infielders (9):

Greg Bird
    Starlin Castro
    Didi Gregorius
    Chase Headley
    Ronald Torreyes

Tyler Austin
    Garrett Cooper
    Miguel Andujar
    Tyler Wade

Outfielders (5):

Aaron Judge
    Aaron Hicks
    Brett Gardner
    Jacoby Ellsbury

Clint Frazier

So that is 36 by my count (I definitely could have missed someone, let me know).

Need to be added or exposed this winter (this list could be longer, but these are the top guys I'm aware of):

Gleyber Torres
    Domingo Acevedo
    Albert Abreu
    Billy McKinney
    Thairo Estrada
    Jake Cave

Stephen Tarpley
    Nestor Cortes
    Nick Rumbelow
    Cito Culver (still only 24, still a good defensive SS who can play 1B too, and a .743 OPS with 10 HRs in AAA)
    Mike Ford
    JP Feyereisen

Close to ready for the bigs but don't need to be protected yet:

Chance Adams

===========================

So they are at 36 currently after free agents, let's say the top six there need protecting plus two others, so they need to drop four guys from above. Cooper or Austin is one and then I think pick from the AAAA pitchers, Mitchell, Cessa, Smith, Gallegos, Shreve...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Sorry for late reply but if my guy Kratz has any future in this organization, it's to grab any low-minors coaching gig available and try to work his way up -- which he well might be able to do if he wants to try it, he comes across as a smart guy and solid citizen. But he's 37 years old and if the Detroit brawl and Higgy's injury hadn't created a short-term depth crisis, he wouldn't have been traded for and wouldn't have even gotten the limited MLB playing time he got in September. His playing career is just about over.
    Hey, Kratz for manager!

NYYF Legend

Jon;

In my opinion, I agree that one of Cooper/Austin is in danger of not being protected. I think Shreve might be safe because of the hand he throws with. Gallegos is also a goner, IMO. So is Mitchell, if they keep Cessa (who they seem to like).

That is 3 that are in addition to the 4 open spots you had. Leaves room for 7, unless they make a deal before the deadline to lock the 40 man roster.

I say they clear at least 5 more slots:

1) Mitchell is gone. They will give Cessa another chance, I think, to come to camp in shape.

2) Cooper is gone. Unlike Austin, he was not even invited back for September.

3) Herrera? I think he is even more vulnerable than Gallegos.

4) I also think Shreve is vulnerable. or Caleb Smith.

5) Higgy or Romine? I actually think Romine may just be released. They cannot get anything for him. Does Higgy still have an option? Anyway, they need to get a better ML BUC. Need is obvious.

NYYF Legend

Yes Higgy has 2 more option years left but I don't see him being retained on the 40 man roster. There will be better options out there that can be signed to AAA deals.

I guess i am the only one who thinks Gallegos isn't going anywhere off the 40 man roster. They didn't protect him a year ago to give up on him after 1 season in which he was't expected to factor much at the major league level.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Thanks Tanaka for not opting out... Kratz elected FA, Pineda is a FA and Cessa activated off 60 day DL and is part of the 40 man roster.

Re: Predict the 2018 40 man roster - from July 22nd 2017

PITCHERS (22)

1. Dellin Betances
    2. Luis Cessa
    3. Aroldis Chapman
    4. Dietrich Enns
    5. Giovanny Gallegos
    6. Domingo German
    7. Chad Green
    8. Ronald Herrera
    9. Ben Heller
    10. Jonathan Holder
    11. Tommy Kahnle
    12. Bryan Mitchell
    13. Jordan Montgomery
    14. Michael Pineda
    15. Yelfrey Ramirez
    16. David Robertson
    17. CC Sabathia
    18. Luis Severino
    19. Chase Shreve
    20. Caleb Smith
    21. Masashiro Tanaka
    22. Adam Warren

POSITIONAL PLAYERS (21)

CATCHERS (3)

23. Kyle Higashioka
    24. Austin Romine
    25. Gary Sanchez

INFIELDERS (11)

26. Miguel Andujar
    27. Tyler Austin
    28. Greg Bird
    29. Starlin Castro
    30. Garrett Cooper
    31. Todd Frazier
    32. Didi Gregorius
    33. Chase Headley
    34. Jorge Mateo
    35. Ronald Torreyes
    36. Tyler Wade

OUTFIELDERS (6)

37. Jacoby Ellsbury
    38. Dustin Fowler
    39. Clint Frazier
    40. Brett Gardner
    41. Aaron Hicks
    42. Aaron Judge

DESIGNATED HITTER (1)

43. Matt Holiday

With the Rule V protection deadline passing - 32/43 players remain (25% turnover). So far only 2 of the projected 22 players expected to remain back on July 22nd have been eliminated. Expect another batch around the winter meetings.

Once the Castro trade goes thru - we'll be down to 31 of 43 remaining.

29/43 players remain after Headley & Mitchell were traded to the Padres.

Thread Information