+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 2017 Tommy Kahnle performance thread

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Perhaps a pitching coach could help. Do we know a good pitching coach?
    I swear, I was wondering if Rothschild tried to "tweak" something and screwed him up. I wouldn't be surprised.

Another graduate of the Larry Rothschild School of Pitching!

"What, you throw 98+ for strikes? Forget that. It's going to be changeup, changeup, changeup!"

Sing it with me:

I miss the old Kahnle
    The "can't throw strikes" Kahnle
    Blow all the saves Kahnle
    Ignore the signs Kahnle
    I hate the new Kahnle
    Ninety-eight on the black Kahnle
    Nothing but strikes Kahnle
    What if Kahnle channeled his inner Kahnle
    Let's call it the Yankee Kahnle
    That'd be so Kahnle

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Curse of Clippard.

Go away.

And take those jazz hands with you.

Um, so, where is Andrew Miller-lite ?

NYYF Legend

What is going on with Kahnle as he got hit hard tonight and has not looked good his past few appearances?

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    What is going on with Kahnle as he got hit hard tonight and has not looked good his past few appearances?
    He got Chap'man-ed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    If you look at his relatively short career, you will see that his ERAs in his first two seasons were 4.19 and 4.86 respectively. He then moved from the Rockies organization to the White Sox for a season and a half and seemed to figure it out. His ERA last season was 2.63. His ERA for the first portion of this season was 2.50. He then came to New York and his ERA is sitting at 4.73.

The folks who were saying that Cashman had turned water into wine by trading Rutherford, Clarkin, Polo, and Clippard for Frazier, Kahnle, and DRob were centering their assessment of the trade around Kahnle being "Andrew Miller-lite" and DRob. They stated that Cashman traded junk for a highly valuable reliever that is 27 and under team control for a few years and DRob.

Those of us that had concerns with this trade said, "what if the Kahnle of the last 1.5 seasons isn't the real Kahnle? What if he reverts back to the guy the Yankees didn't protect in the Rule 5 Draft, then was DFA'd by Colorado, and pitched to a 4+ ERA in his first two seasons in MLB?"

Right now the jury is out and we need more information, but this is a story worth following.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    If you look at his relatively short career, you will see that his ERAs in his first two seasons were 4.19 and 4.86 respectively. He then moved from the Rockies organization to the White Sox for a season and a half and seemed to figure it out. His ERA last season was 2.63. His ERA for the first portion of this season was 2.50. He then came to New York and his ERA is sitting at 4.73.

The folks who were saying that Cashman had turned water into wine by trading Rutherford, Clarkin, Polo, and Clippard for Frazier, Kahnle, and DRob were centering their assessment of the trade around Kahnle being "Andrew Miller-lite" and DRob. They stated that Cashman traded junk for a highly valuable reliever that is 27 and under team control for a few years and DRob.

Those of us that had concerns with this trade said, "what if the Kahnle of the last 1.5 seasons isn't the real Kahnle? What if he reverts back to the guy the Yankees didn't protect in the Rule 5 Draft, then was DFA'd by Colorado, and pitched to a 4+ ERA in his first two seasons in MLB?"

Right now the jury is out and we need more information, but this is a story worth following.
    Agreed. It seemed odd to me at the time that everyone seemed to gloss over the fact that the "good Kahnle" was based on a pretty small sample size. I guess we can take some comfort in the fact that Rutherford is OPS'ing .599 since the trade but he is only 20. Plenty of time for him to figure it out.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Agreed. It seemed odd to me at the time that everyone seemed to gloss over the fact that the "good Kahnle" was based on a pretty small sample size. I guess we can take some comfort in the fact that Rutherford is OPS'ing .599 since the trade but he is only 20. Plenty of time for him to figure it out.
    Sure, but Rutherford had perceived value and that was what they were trading - potential. They also traded two other prospects in that deal. Even if all three prospects crap out, if Kahnle doesn't figure it out, this isn't a good trade.

Now we're stuck with this guy.

NYYF Cy Young

9-1 Just throw strikes. I don't like Kahle. He is all over the place.

venting - took 20 pitches to warm up. got the next 3 batters..... (still don't like him even with 9-1) Can we give him back?
    Last edited by bucky; 09-03-17 at 09:40 PM. Reason: next 3 batters

He'll be fine. I think Boston has his number though.

I think he has to get acclimated to the Yankees/Sox rivalry kinda throwing him into the fire.. I think he'll be fine.

Those jazz hands during his set position still drives me nuts.

Sure, but Rutherford had perceived value and that was what they were trading - potential. They also traded two other prospects in that deal. Even if all three prospects crap out, if Kahnle doesn't figure it out, this isn't a good trade.
    I agree with you in principle, but I don't think NYYFANS value of Rutherford was in line with the other 31 GMs in MLB.

I mean, Beane chose an injured Fowler over Rutherford in essence. Im sure Cash was pushing Blake while first trying to acquire Gray.

I also think people are ready to write off Kahnle way too early. Relieving in NY is different from relieving in Chicago or Colorado.

He's still not walking batters, still K'ing batters at a good rate, and doesn't give up homers. 3 important factors in being a reliever. Im going to give him the benefit of a doubt for now.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    I agree with you in principle, but I don't think NYYFANS value of Rutherford was in line with the other 31 GMs in MLB.

I mean, Beane chose an injured Fowler over Rutherford in essence. Im sure Cash was pushing Blake while first trying to acquire Gray.

I also think people are ready to write off Kahnle way too early. Relieving in NY is different from relieving in Chicago or Colorado.

He's still not walking batters, still K'ing batters at a good rate, and doesn't give up homers. 3 important factors in being a reliever. Im going to give him the benefit of a doubt for now.
    You could be totally correct about this bolded part. Obviously this rating was stemming from BA and things like that, but the actual teams may have been on to issues with Rutherford.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post

The way that Rutherford is playing, that White Sox trade is a big win for the Yankees. Kahnle and Robertson are still very good relievers who are signed beyond this year. Frazier was just a throw in.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

You could be totally correct about this bolded part. Obviously this rating was stemming from BA and things like that, but the actual teams may have been on to issues with Rutherford.

I wonder what happened with Rutherford. Everyone said he was a steal in the draft. This year has been a complete disaster for him. I'll be surprised if he a top 100 prospect after this year.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

he will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    I wonder what happened with Rutherford. Everyone said he was a steal in the draft. This year has been a complete disaster for him. I'll be surprised if he a top 100 prospect after this year.
    Even when he hits well (pure hitter) he has no power. Florial has passed him imo

Pure crap. Useless in trying to get out of jams.

Hope Cashman trades this useless reliever over the winter while he still hopefully has some value (thanks to his time on the ChiSox this year). Doesn't miss bats, can't get the big outs, and rarely has a clean inning. I cringe when he comes in.

Maybe this guy could help him with his mechanics.

Thread Information