+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Betances 2017 Performance Thread

Not sure why no one seems to have started a thread to complain about his terrible recent performance. Maybe he has a little teflon coating because he came up through the system and the evil Levine mocked him.

But he has blown multiple games now. He actually is over paid based on his impact on this team's record and his time in the league.

The control problem must be in his head and that is more annoying to me than physical limitations.

Re: Betances 2017 Performance Thread

What an utter disappointment and terrible streak he's having. Seems to have lost all confidence.

Wish we still had Miller.

NYYF Legend

He's an All Star, guysm.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Betances would be better served staying home, feigning fatigue of some tightness, and trying to figure out his mechanics. 27 pitches today and only 9 strikes against the bottom third of the Jays order.

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Betances would be better served staying home, feigning fatigue of some tightness, and trying to figure out his mechanics. 27 pitches today and only 9 strikes against the bottom third of the Jays order.
    He looked out of whack...his misses weren't even close.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Not sure why no one seems to have started a thread to complain about his terrible recent performance. Maybe he has a little teflon coating because he came up through the system and the evil Levine mocked him.

But he has blown multiple games now. He actually is over paid based on his impact on this team's record and his time in the league.

The control problem must be in his head and that is more annoying to me than physical limitations.
    He's been one of the best relievers in the game for 3 years. He has equity. ALL of their relievers have blown games.

And how you can be so sure that his control problem "must be in his head"? That's just...I mean, come on. He's 6'8". Big guys get out of whack sometimes.

That said, the break should do him some good, I would hope. He needs to hit the reset button.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    He looked out of whack...his misses weren't even close.
    Not to mention he could not throw a strike to two batters who were giving themselves up by trying to bunt.

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    He's been one of the best relievers in the game for 3 years. He has equity. ALL of their relievers have blown games.

And how you can be so sure that his control problem "must be in his head"? That's just...I mean, come on. He's 6'8". Big guys get out of whack sometimes.

That said, the break should do him some good, I would hope. He needs to hit the reset button.
    And then the big guys right themselves if they do not let it get to their confidence. Losing confidence is a mental problem. Contrast him with the guy that they traded instead of him last year, Andrew Miller, also a big guy. Betances has been fragile mentally for a long time, even with his extraordinary talent. That is part of why he could not make it as a starter. I know he has been one of the best relievers in the game. But this only makes his recent mechanical-mental difficulties worse. He is not just one of the average guys in their bull pen. He needs to be a star. That is what he was considered in arbitration.

it's all mental with Betances.

He deserves to be punched in the locker room and have food thrown at him.

Fastball velo higher than ever. Just pump it in there ya doof. Throwing his fastball 44% of the time this year -- compared to guys like Kimbrel/Rosenthal/Chapman/Jansen who are over 60%. Even said it himself that he should be using it more and he goes out there and dumps a 3-2 curve on Martin with the bases juiced.

He had no better control of his fastball in this game. It was not pitch selection. It was the pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    He had no better control of his fastball in this game. It was not pitch selection. It was the pitcher.
    That still doesn't change the fact he should be using it more. His control is in the toilet, throw the pitch that's the easiest to command and work from there. I did a quick rundown of the hardest throwing relievers in the game and didn't see anyone whose usage rates rivaled his.

I agree that he should be using his fastball more. It is not the catchers that do not have confidence in the fastball, however. His not having confidence in such a great fastball is a mental problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    it's all mental with Betances.

He deserves to be punched in the locker room and have food thrown at him.
    he'll be alright as long as he keeps his dick in his pants

you know what they say about an exposed carcass, it attracts trolls

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post

There was no thread because it's never his fault!

He's either overworked or underutilized and rusty.

Fact is he failed as a starter because he couldn't throw strikes and that hasn't changed one bit.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post

Wow. This is worse than I thought.

Suspended

BB/9: 8.67

Absurd.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post

Absurd.
    He wasn't anywhere near the plate on his last several walks. He must be at six or seven 4-pitch walks out of his last twenty. It's crazy. Don't need stats to see that, but it is fun to see how the stats confirm it.

Can anyone do a histogram of 4-pitch, one strike, full count? I'd love to see that....
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post

Absurd.
    I hate to use the dreaded B word, but I hope he doesn't succumb to Bard's Disease.

NYYF Legend

I'm not a pitching coach in any sense of the word. But if you look at slo-mo clips of Betances from 2016, and compare them to any of the recent ones, there is at least 1 noticeable difference. He is turning the lower portion of his body toward home plate earlier, and his arm almost seems to be trailing behind. It's like he's whipping his arm around instead of "firing" the pitch in. This would also explain why his [pitches are not even close to a strike in many cases.

He's out of whack. Same issues he had as a starter. Can't repeat his motion.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I'm not a pitching coach in any sense of the word. But if you look at slo-mo clips of Betances from 2016, and compare them to any of the recent ones, there is at least 1 noticeable difference. He is turning the lower portion of his body toward home plate earlier, and his arm almost seems to be trailing behind. It's like he's whipping his arm around instead of "firing" the pitch in. This would also explain why his [pitches are not even close to a strike in many cases.

He's out of whack. Same issues he had as a starter. Can't repeat his motion.
    If only the pitching coach could you know, send up a smoke signal alerting the manager that something's amiss.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Thread Information