+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Re: Betances 2017 Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    In 2015 I agree, really don't remember last year. Not this year though, he's just been really off.
    Yeah this year he definitely wasnít overused. Just been mechanically dreadful for whatever reason
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I advocated for the Yankees to trade Betances last season and earlier this year. It looks like they missed out on their opportunity to sell high. At this point I think you have to hang onto him and hope he bounces back.
    Betances and _____ for Schwarber??

Quote Originally Posted by poneil2321 View Post
    Betances and _____ for Schwarber??
    nope. I never thought nearly as much of Schwarber as most everyone did. I really didn't have a specific trade in mind. More like if they can receive good value for him I wouldn't be opposed to trading him (and they should put him on the market and see what teams are offering)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    nope. I never thought nearly as much of Schwarber as most everyone did. I really didn't have a specific trade in mind. More like if they can receive good value for him I wouldn't be opposed to trading him (and they should put him on the market and see what teams are offering)

Good idea - moving Betances and seeing if he has trade value

Bad idea - getting Schwarber with his low batting average, high strikeouts and we are loaded in the outfield.

What we could use offensively is a high average, high OBP, low strikeout bat to counter our big guns and to get on base for those big bats.

I know we're sort of filling up on these now but if they move Betances, I'd really like to see them try to turn him into 2-3 lottery ticket style arms who could rise quickly through the system.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Donít think he is permanently broken. But I also think heís gone as a FA.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

I think the new manager will determine along with Cashman whether he is traded. I still think he should remain with New York and perhaps they can figure out what is needed to fix his problems. He's still young and healthy!

I'd hold onto him. Obvious reason being his value is at a low point. The other is he could just as easily have a bounce back year.

Even when Betances completed his awesome 2014 season, I never thought that season represented his "true" ability. He wasn't just great, he was extreme right-tail probability great. In the same manner, this crappy season probably falls on the other end of the distribution.

Somewhere in the middle is his mean ability and that's closer to what I expect him to be.

I'm not so sure his value is at a low point, he can be a FA in two more seasons (after 2019) and he is unlikely to break camp as anything more important than NY's 4th reliever, behind Kahnle/Robertson/Chapman. Of course he can move up because of performance or injuries, but I think it's very possible that he doesn't show enough by the end of July and that he is less valuable at the trading deadline than he is now (his team control then will be down from 2 seasons to 1 1/3 seasons).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    I'm not so sure his value is at a low point, he can be a FA in two more seasons (after 2019) and he is unlikely to break camp as anything more important than NY's 4th reliever, behind Kahnle/Robertson/Chapman. Of course he can move up because of performance or injuries, but I think it's very possible that he doesn't show enough by the end of July and that he is less valuable at the trading deadline than he is now (his team control then will be down from 2 seasons to 1 1/3 seasons).
    I totally agree with this.

I've felt that way about the prospects of trading him for the past few years, and unfortunately it happened. I'm not saying I saw this coming or anything, just that a sudden, value-damaging season is always a possibility with relievers, and he held INSANE level trade value for a while there.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    I'd hold onto him. Obvious reason being his value is at a low point. The other is he could just as easily have a bounce back year.

Even when Betances completed his awesome 2014 season, I never thought that season represented his "true" ability. He wasn't just great, he was extreme right-tail probability great. In the same manner, this crappy season probably falls on the other end of the distribution.

Somewhere in the middle is his mean ability and that's closer to what I expect him to be.
    Lol, come on...

He was awesome in 2015 as well, along with 2016 (except the last month of that season). Are we going to say all those seasons were flukes now?

I'm willing to bet Betances bounces back in 2018.

People forget how rare Betances' 2014 season was. It was one of the best ever individual seasons for a reliever including the 90 innings pitched. Among the many achievements, he produced a 31 RE24. For perspective, Mariano produced over a 30 only once in his career (40 RE24 in 1996).

It's very unlikely Betances will repeat that type of season. He still can be a good reliever.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    People forget how rare Betances' 2014 season was. It was one of the best ever individual seasons for a reliever including the 90 innings pitched. Among the many achievements, he produced a 31 RE24. For perspective, Mariano produced over a 30 only once in his career (40 RE24 in 1996).

It's very unlikely Betances will repeat that type of season. He still can be a good reliever.
    His upside is matched by his propensity to bring dynamite into the holes he all too often finds himself in.

At least hitters canít get comfortable in their cleats when they have to face him during one of his meltdowns.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Thread Information