+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Betances 2017 Performance Thread

Somewhere, Randy Levine is laughing and ejaculating at the same time
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

I've been saying this for awhile. Robertson in the closer's role is a no brainer. He closed the year after Mo retired and didn't miss a beat. Betances has demonstrated over the last few years his glass ceiling is no higher than an 8th inning guy. Sure he has electric stuff but he's just too inconsistent to close. He's prone to walks, does not throw his fastball enough and mentally melts down too often. My gut feeling is the Yankees will do a big revamping of the bullpen after the season and both Chapman and Betances will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    beaten with chanclas
    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Thank you both for the early morning laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I've been saying this for awhile. Robertson in the closer's role is a no brainer. He closed the year after Mo retired and didn't miss a beat. Betances has demonstrated over the last few years his glass ceiling is no higher than an 8th inning guy. Sure he has electric stuff but he's just too inconsistent to close. He's prone to walks, does not throw his fastball enough and mentally melts down too often. My gut feeling is the Yankees will do a big revamping of the bullpen after the season and both Chapman and Betances will be gone.
    I love Robertson as much as the next guy but he's anything but automatic. His Houdini act isn't ideal for closing either.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Also, I find it hilarious that as soon as a guy blows a save or strikes out or makes an error...

"TO THE FORUM! NOW, WHERE IS THAT PERFORMANCE THREAD??!?? I MUST COMPLAIN!!! BUT FIRST, THE GIRARDI THREAD. HE MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!!!1!1!!!1!!!
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Suspended

You can't have a closer that has a BB/9 6.5 a game.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Classic chicken or egg situation.

Randy L. is still incompetent.
    Betances is clearly not the best choice for the closer job. Dellin is not there mentally, and has no real confidence in his fast ball.
    3-6 (with 3 blown saves..) is not a line anyone in Management should be comfortable with.

Robertson should be the closer.

Since Aug 1 Betances has 7 BBs in 14.2 IP. Robertson has 8 in 17. Not much difference there.

For the season, yes, Betances has had awful stretches in that department but he had a great month of August and a great year last year so he has shown that he can do this. Is it just a 9th inning thing? I suppose it could be. But I think Robertson would be a marginal upgrade. We just haven't seen him blow a save yet because he hasn't been given that chance. Closing in the AL East is a different animal than doing the same in the Central.

Could Joe switch them up? Sure, but no matter when he pitches, we need Dellin to be effective. Games can be blown in the 7th and 8th innings as well.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Calls a tool a tool

Million dollar arm. Five cent head.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    You can't have a closer that has a BB/9 6.5 a game.
    "It's not what you want to see."

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    Since Aug 1 Betances has 7 BBs in 14.2 IP. Robertson has 8 in 17. Not much difference there.

For the season, yes, Betances has had awful stretches in that department but he had a great month of August and a great year last year so he has shown that he can do this. Is it just a 9th inning thing? I suppose it could be. But I think Robertson would be a marginal upgrade. We just haven't seen him blow a save yet because he hasn't been given that chance. Closing in the AL East is a different animal than doing the same in the Central.

Could Joe switch them up? Sure, but no matter when he pitches, we need Dellin to be effective. Games can be blown in the 7th and 8th innings as well.
    If you can't see much of a difference between Betances and Robertson closing there's not much to say.

As to last season Betances was very good up through August then horrid in September. As to Robertson's walks yes they've been high but the big questions are when do they happen and is he able to pitch around them.

NYYF Legend

Chapman has a no trade clause for at least the first 3 years. He isn't going anywhere.

NYYF Legend

I love Robertson as much as the next guy but he's anything but automatic. His Houdini act isn't ideal for closing either.
    But he does get out of his "self-created" jams more often than not. Not sure I am willing to say the same thing about Betances in the closer role.

If you can't see much of a difference between Betances and Robertson closing there's not much to say.

As to last season Betances was very good up through August then horrid in September. As to Robertson's walks yes they've been high but the big questions are when do they happen and is he able to pitch around them.
    I think if Robertson were to take over the closer role the first save he blows we'd see the "Robertson Performance Thread" at the top of the new posts and people would be having a cow about it, probably demanding that Chapman be re-installed at closer. Or Green.

Look - I would be fine if Joe decided to switch or (gasp!) use both depending on who's rested/who's hot. I'm not married to Betances being the closer. But the bottom line is they need anywhere from 6-12 outs per game the majority of the time from the pen. Betances is going to be charged with getting 3 of those outs regardless of when he pitches.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Also, I find it hilarious that as soon as a guy blows a save or strikes out or makes an error...

"TO THE FORUM! NOW, WHERE IS THAT PERFORMANCE THREAD??!?? I MUST COMPLAIN!!! BUT FIRST, THE GIRARDI THREAD. HE MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!!!1!1!!!1!!!
    How we going to get anywhere until we start assigning blame?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

If we didn't agree/disagree on stuff and react to what we've just seen there wouldn't be a forum.
    He gone!

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    If we didn't agree/disagree on stuff and react to what we've just seen there wouldn't be a forum.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Chapman has a no trade clause for at least the first 3 years. He isn't going anywhere.
    Chapman will approve a trade in a heartbeat if he's going to a contender and has a reasonable chance of closing. The problem will be his salary.

I think if Robertson were to take over the closer role the first save he blows we'd see the "Robertson Performance Thread" at the top of the new posts and people would be having a cow about it, probably demanding that Chapman be re-installed at closer. Or Green.

Look - I would be fine if Joe decided to switch or (gasp!) use both depending on who's rested/who's hot. I'm not married to Betances being the closer. But the bottom line is they need anywhere from 6-12 outs per game the majority of the time from the pen. Betances is going to be charged with getting 3 of those outs regardless of when he pitches.

Mo used to get criticized so why wouldn't Robertson. No news there. Green will have to move up in the bullpen pecking order but I don't think there is anyway he gets a shot at closing until next season. And if Green continues to develop there is no way the Yankees can keep Chapman, Robertson and Betances next season.

Closers get paid the big bucks instead of the setup guys for a reason - it's harder to do. Relievers are not plug and play.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

If anything, he's well suited for middle relief with runners on.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

I continue to wonder what the Yankees could get for Betances in the off season.

after a nice run betances has been bad of late.. it's amazing a guy with his stuff can all of a sudden lose it...

Calls a tool a tool

Any doubt hes about to give up a HR?

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Any doubt hes about to give up a HR?
    Lucky the game wasnt in Yankee Stadium.

Thread Information