+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 ... LastLast
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Re: 2017-18 NHL Hockey Season Thread

Meanwhile in the American Hockey League Calder Cup playoff race as of March 25, 2018

Teams that clinched spots
    East: Lehigh Valley Phantoms (PHI), Toronto Marlies (TOR) and Syracuse Crunch (TBL)
    West: TBD

Teams eliminated from Calder Cup playoff contention
    East: Belleville Senators (OTT)
    West: Cleveland Monsters (CBJ)
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Billy was actually more of the slash-em-with-the-stick, act like "who, me?" school.
    Now that I think of it, you are right. Did not fight but you better not get close to his crease. Boy did I like Bill Smith.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    You really have a vendetta against Garth Snow.
    ymike can be a broken record but I agree with what he says about Snow. Do you disagree? I know Chuck E. Cheap's low payroll impeded him for years but having a low payroll to me excuses not being able to keep a rising young Cup contender together. It doesn't excuse never building that contender to begin with. Has Snow ever even built a team where you'd say "Damn if only they could have stayed together but Wang wouldn't pay"? And now we have owners who will spend but the mediocrity continues.

12 years. TWELVE years.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Now that I think of it, you are right. Did not fight but you better not get close to his crease. Boy did I like Bill Smith.
    I actually drank some adult beverages with Billy a few times in my youth in Huntington, NY. He was known to hang out in local establishments, not deep into the night but liked to "wet his whistle". Pleasant fellow if you were low-key and talked about stuff besides the Islanders -- I remember he didn't like "shop talk."

NYYF Legend

ymike can be a broken record but I agree with what he says about Snow. Do you disagree? I know Chuck E. Cheap's low payroll impeded him for years but having a low payroll to me excuses not being able to keep a rising young Cup contender together. It doesn't excuse never building that contender to begin with. Has Snow ever even built a team where you'd say "Damn if only they could have stayed together but Wang wouldn't pay"? And now we have owners who will spend but the mediocrity continues.

12 years. TWELVE years.
    I already said that I want a new GM but also a new coaching staff. Snow is not the only one not doing his job on the Islanders. Doug Weight is more proof that a long and productive NHL playing career does not translate into coaching success.

Word on the street is that the owners are secretly trying to hire a Team President to make future hockey decisions. Let it happen.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

12 years. TWELVE years.

I actually drank some adult beverages with Billy a few times in my youth in Huntington, NY. He was known to hang out in local establishments, not deep into the night but liked to "wet his whistle". Pleasant fellow if you were low-key and talked about stuff besides the Islanders -- I remember he didn't like "shop talk."
    I also had the pleasure of talking to Smith back in the early 80's at Buttles rest which was near the Coliseum. A very nice guy off the ice. You ever wonder what might have happened had Wang not forced Neil Smith out after about 6 weeks?

Add the Winnipeg Jets to the teams who clinched a spot in the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs.

The expansion Vegas Golden Knights, who already have 101 points, can clinch a playoff spot tonight against the Colorado Avalanche.

Here are the latest Wild Card standings from both conferences with two weeks to go in the regular season.
    http://www.nhl.com/standings/2017/wildcard

The New Jersey Devils are leading the Florida Panthers by three points for the second and final Wild Card spot in the East, but the Panthers have two games in hand.

Meanwhile, the Anaheim Ducks, Colorado Avalanche, Minnesota Wild, St. Louis Blues and the Los Angeles Kings are five teams separated by four points in a tussle for four playoff spots, one in the Central, one in the Pacific and both Wild Card spots in the West.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Add the Winnipeg Jets to the teams who clinched a spot in the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs.

The expansion Vegas Golden Knights, who already have 101 points, can clinch a playoff spot tonight against the Colorado Avalanche.
    And add the Islanders to the list of teams eliminated. Tonight's loss made it official.

Meanwhile in the AHL Calder Cup Playoff picture, one division playoff bracket is set in the East.

In the AHL North Division, the Toronto Marlies (TOR), Syracuse Crunch (TBL), Rochester Americans (BUF) and Utica Comets (VAN) complete their playoff bracket with seeding to be determined.

In the AHL Atlantic Division, the Springfield Thunderbirds (FLA) are eliminated from Calder Cup playoff contention while the Lehigh Valley Phantoms (PHI) clinched their playoff spot.

Over in the West, only the Cleveland Monsters (CBJ) are eliminated from Calder cup playoff contention.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

If this was an expansion NBA team it would be the only thing talked about on ESPN, but since it's hockey, nada.

The Vegas Golden Knights clinched a playoff berth last night and are currently 6 points ahead of the Sharks with 6 games to play so they will probably win the division too.

https://deadspin.com/the-golden-knig...ium=socialflow

Historically, most NHL expansion teams have needed five-plus seasons to make the playoffs. The Golden Knights aren’t merely the first expansion team to make the playoffs in their inaugural season since the NHL expanded from six teams; they’re the first expansion team in the the Big Four North American sports since 1960 to have a winning record in their first season.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    If this was an expansion NBA team it would be the only thing talked about on ESPN, but since it's hockey, nada.

The Vegas Golden Knights clinched a playoff berth last night and are currently 6 points ahead of the Sharks with 6 games to play so they will probably win the division too.

https://deadspin.com/the-golden-knig...ium=socialflow
    Wonder who that 1960 team was. Nobody in baseball or hockey or basketball or the NFL. Are they counting some AFL teams, because the whole league was expansion that year and all its franchises still exist? That would make what VGK did even more impressive, because in an expansion LEAGUE, somebody has to win.

(Edit: Although if that's the case, they should include the New England Whalers, Winnipeg Jets and Alberta Oilers of the WHA in 1973. All those franchises still exist in some form. And the Denver Rockets and Dallas Chaparrals of the 1968 ABA still exist as the Denver Nuggets and San Antonio Spurs, respectively.)

NYYF Legend

Bill Smith used to fight a lot too. Happily it did not qualify him to be an Islanders GM.
    Mike Tyson for Islander GM.

NYYF Legend

The previous record for shortest time by an NHL expansion team making the playoffs was 2 seasons by the Atlanta Flames. Not counting the 67-68 expansion or 79-80 WHA teams I believe the Islanders went the shortest before winning a round. 3 seasons.

https://deadspin.com/connor-mcdavid-...ter-1824138298

*McDavid now has two 100-point seasons in his three-year career. That’s exactly as many 100-point seasons as the rest of the NHL has combined since the last lockout.
    *With his 40th goal, McDavid became the first Oiler to reach that mark since Petr Klima in 1990-91.
    *McDavid isn’t padding his numbers on the power play, either; just 18 of his 102 points and five of his 40 goals have come on the man-advantage.
    *McDavid, with a six-point cushion in the field, seems set to win his second straight scoring title. He’d be the first NHL player to win back-to-back Art Ross trophies since Jaromir Jagr did it four straight years beginning in ‘97- ‘98.

NYYF Legend

*McDavid now has two 100-point seasons in his three-year career. That’s exactly as many 100-point seasons as the rest of the NHL has combined since the last lockout.
    *With his 40th goal, McDavid became the first Oiler to reach that mark since Petr Klima in 1990-91.
    *McDavid isn’t padding his numbers on the power play, either; just 18 of his 102 points and five of his 40 goals have come on the man-advantage.
    *McDavid, with a six-point cushion in the field, seems set to win his second straight scoring title. He’d be the first NHL player to win back-to-back Art Ross trophies since Jaromir Jagr did it four straight years beginning in ‘97- ‘98.
    Meanwhile ESPN didn't include him in as one of their 20 most dominating athletes our time among all sport.
    Last edited by Donnybaseball72; 03-29-18 at 04:00 PM.

Meanwhile ESPN didn't include in as one of their 20 most dominating athletes in their respective sport.
    Really? Who did they have on the list? I know it's ESPN so Crosby was first and Ovi second. Who was after them? I bet they had Marchand on the list since he's in Boston and scored 30 goals the past few years.

NYYF Legend

Problem for Edmonton is he's the only guy on the team. What's crazy is Wayne was getting 200 point seasons, wish we could see that again

NYYF Legend

Really? Who did they have on the list? I know it's ESPN so Crosby was first and Ovi second. Who was after them? I bet they had Marchand on the list since he's in Boston and scored 30 goals the past few years.
    Let me clarify. No Hockey players were included on this top 20 list. It's a list of all sports. Both Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic both made this list. How can they both dominate the same sport at the same time? It's ludicrous.

Full list: Brady, Peyton Manning, Barry Bonds, Mike Trout, Lebron, Messi, Ronaldo, Marta, Tiger, Annika Sorentram, Jimmie Johnson, Michael Shumacher, Mayweather, Pacquao, Usain Bolt, Allyson Felix, Lauren Jackson (Who??), Serena Williams plus the other two tennis guys.

NYYF Legend

Let me clarify. No Hockey players were included on this top 20 list. It's a list of all sports. Both Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic both made this list. How can they both dominate the same sport at the same time? It's ludicrous.

Full list: Brady, Peyton Manning, Barry Bonds, Mike Trout, Lebron, Messi, Ronaldo, Marta, Tiger, Annika Sorentram, Jimmie Johnson, Michael Shumacher, Mayweather, Pacquao, Usain Bolt, Allyson Felix, Lauren Jackson (Who??), Serena Williams plus the other two tennis guys.
    I mean these lists are subjective, but I have a tough time categorizing golf or driving around in a circle as a sport.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CanoForPresident View Post
    I mean these lists are subjective, but I have a tough time categorizing golf or driving around in a circle as a sport.
    The NHL dumped ESPN. Maybe that's how ESPN gets their revenge .

NYYF Legend

The NHL dumped ESPN. Maybe that's how ESPN gets their revenge .
    They've been ignoring hockey NHL every since

Off the top of my head most dominant athletes in non-obscure sports I would say are:
    Tiger Woods
    Roger Federer
    Serena Williams
    Wayne Gretzky
    Michael Jordan
    Babe Ruth
    LeBron James
    Dominik Hasek

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post

Off the top of my head most dominant athletes in non-obscure sports I would say are:
    Tiger Woods
    Roger Federer
    Serena Williams
    Wayne Gretzky
    Michael Jordan
    Babe Ruth
    LeBron James
    Dominik Hasek
    I think Wilt Chamberlain should be on this list.

NYYF Legend

I think Wilt Chamberlain should be on this list.
    and Jerry Rice

Tom Brady

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post

Tiger Woods
    Roger Federer
    Serena Williams
    Wayne Gretzky
    Michael Jordan
    Babe Ruth
    LeBron James
    Dominik Hasek
    Lawrence Taylor too.

Thread Information