+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Judge rookie card

I haven't bought a baseball card in nearly 10 years, but I gotta get a Judge one (he went to my school for crying out loud).
    Questions:
    1. Which do I get? Don't want to spend a fortune.
    2. Would having him sign it decrease its value?

Thanks and GO YANKS!
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Re: Judge rookie card

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    I haven't bought a baseball card in nearly 10 years, but I gotta get a Judge one (he went to my school for crying out loud).
    Questions:

Thanks and GO YANKS!
    Safest bet (to me) is Topps.

Thing with signatures: it immediately becomes the value of his signature.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

I haven't bought a baseball card in probably the same amount of time. I used to be a big collector. My go to for rookie cards was Bowman. I just loved how they looked and they were always on top of getting rookie cards out first. And they always seemed to have the most value, aside from the signature and numbered cards.

I was thinking the same thing though. I just worry it will cause a chain reaction of me going on a spending spree with all the guys coming up.

NYYF Legend

I have been collecting baseball cards since 1970 and have every standard Topps set since that year. The problem with Collecting Judge right now has to do with his success. Prior to the season beginning, his 2017 Topps Series 1 auto insert could be had for $25-30 but as the season has progressed, the card is over the $100 dollar level. Some of his autograph cards, like the recent Topps Now one that I bought which was numbered to 99, cost me $179. I have always thought that the rookie cards from the Topps standard set were the best ones to get but their value isn't always the highest. The price of cards is in a constant state of flux and the best solution is to go to a Barnes and Noble and find a Baseball Beckett which is produced once a month. It will list the value of all the current cards and then use that as a reference and look at eBay. But beware because when a player is hot, you will see sellers looking to look a bass fish, meaning someone who does not know the value of the card, and will try to get 2-4 times the actual value of the card. And as far as collecting a rookie card like Judge, it is always best to go with the year closest to when they first began to produce his cards, so for example, a 2013 Bowman is a cheaper card and as/if Judge continues to have success and get better, the card value will increase.

What if I get a plain card and have him sign it?
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

What if I get a plain card and have him sign it?
    Problem with that is it's not a certified autograph, so if you're trying to use it as an investment it probably won't work. However, If you just want it for your own enjoyment that's the way to go. I have some autographed cards that I got signed and I like those better than the certified ones...they have more sentimental value.
    Let the kids play.

Questions:

Thanks and GO YANKS!

I don't think baseball cards are valuable anymore unless they are the really old ones. You can find rookie cards on ebay from the 80's and 90s and they are basically value less.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    I don't think baseball cards are valuable anymore unless they are the really old ones. You can find rookie cards on ebay from the 80's and 90s and they are basically value less.
    The 80s and 90s cards were over produced. No demand.

The highest "sold" listing on a Judge RC on Ebay is a little shy of $9000. If someone wanted an unautographed 2013 Bowman Judge RC, they're generally available for 7-8 dollars, shipping included.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post

The highest "sold" listing on a Judge RC on Ebay is a little shy of $9000. If someone wanted an unautographed 2013 Bowman Judge RC, they're generally available for 7-8 dollars, shipping included.
    Thanks. And thanks, Bob
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post

like I said, Bowman is the way to go!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    You could not be anymore wrong as it all depends on who the player is, what brand, and what type of card it is. And what I mean is it a common, insert, refractor, serial number, variation, etc....use the 1993 Derek Jeter SP foil card as an example. Valued as a common, it is in the $115 range and its price only increases if you start looking at the graded cards. Same with a 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout which will cost you at least $170-200. And again, if you start looking at graded cards, which I personally do not collect, then you are looking at values that are worth thousands of dollars.
    I have a huge collection of Derek Jeter cards and it was my goal to collect every card that was ever produced of him. I would estimate that I am in the 90% completion range but though that collection alone is worth a great deal of money, I will never sell a single card from it. So if you really like a player, and do not care about reselling it for value, then getting an in person autograph on the card is a great way to go.

I have a sht ton of Jeter cards also. Autos, numbered, game used, refractors, gold foils. I love his foil RC and his Bowman RC. They do get quite expensive with Jeter though for obvious reasons. I collected a lot of O'Neill cards as well and thankfully enough even the rare cards are within my price range. One of my favorites is a game used jersey patch (with pinstripe) that is autographed and numbered. I somehow got the fortune of getting number 21/21 which made it even better.

If you're not in it for the money it's a lot of fun. But I agree if you do your research, are diligent and know where the market is there is a lot of value. You just need to find the right customers. I would pay for the card I mentioned above. But some dude from Minnesota probably wouldn't care.

Oh and I also do not do the graded thing either. Since it's not an investment for me, what I have is worth more to me than anyone, I don't bother. I have actually purchased graded cards at times from eBay though. A good aspect is it guarantees authenticity. But I wind up opening them up and putting them in my screw down holders. I've often had no choice while looking for a specific card. Sometimes they're the only ones available at the time. Otherwise I don't make a habit of it. The holder itself is ugly. (Except for the Beckett ones, they look much better than all the others). Plus they are taller, wider, and just don't fit in with the rest of my cards.
    Last edited by Hitman23; 06-05-17 at 11:24 PM.

NYYF Legend

Topps Now just released a card of the month for May and it was limited to a selection of dealers who sell their product. It shows Aaron Judge, in the mothers day uniform, shaking Jeter's hand in the dugout and it has been selling on eBay in the $160-350 range and it's killing me not to get it as I have been trying to win an auction at a cheaper price. There is also an Aaron Judge variation card from the 2017 Topps series 1 and it originally began at the $100 price. And of course because I knew that it had to decrease because when a set debuts, the prices are always so high before the Beckett comes out. Well Judge got off to a fantastic start and now you cannot find the card for less than $250 and I have been kicking my own ass ever since.

Went with (was gifted, actually) 2 different Topps rookie cards.
    Have them signed, or not?
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Went with (was gifted, actually) 2 different Topps rookie cards.
    Have them signed, or not?
    If you are only looking to collect and not interested in reselling them, get them signed. I would also suggest holding onto an unsigned version, just in case Judge does have a long HOF type career, as rookie cards of great players only increase with time. But in the end, it is all about personal preference and what makes you happy as a collector.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    If you are only looking to collect and not interested in reselling them, get then signed. I would also suggest holding onto an unsigned version, just in case Judge does have a long HOF type career, as rookie cards of great players only increase with time. But in the end, it is all about personal preference and what makes you happy as a collector.
    Thanks for the advice!
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

I have collected baseball cards since 1972 and I have never seen what is going on with Aaron Judge baseball cards right now. Cards that were $20 in February are now going for $250-350 and it is pretty much impossible to buy a certified autograph card without paying at least $150 and up. Even his base cards, which should be in the $2-4 range have been selling for $10 and more. It is insanity and if he goes on and wins the triple crown by seasons end, his cards will be going for prices that will be hard to imagine.

I have collected baseball cards since 1972 and I have never seen what is going on with Aaron Judge baseball cards right now. Cards that were $20 in February are now going for $250-350 and it is pretty much impossible to buy a certified autograph card without paying at least $150 and up. Even his base cards, which should be in the $2-4 range have been selling for $10 and more. It is insanity and if he goes on and wins the triple crown by seasons end, his cards will be going for prices that will be hard to imagine.
    I would imagine that the amount of base cards printed will eventually drive the price back down. Even the autograph cards will eventually fade back some. Until then, folks are caught up in the moment and are going to grossly overpay. You can still buy a Hank Aaron certified autograph for a few hundred dollars.
    Let the kids play.

How about $14,665? Judge has been great...but not that great.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidse.../#76ac9e417a5b

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    How about $14,665? Judge has been great...but not that great.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidse.../#76ac9e417a5b
    If you type in 2017 Topps Now Judge 1/1 on ebay, there is one auction with a buy it now at $4,999 and the other a modest $29,000.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I would imagine that the amount of base cards printed will eventually drive the price back down. Even the autograph cards will eventually fade back some. Until then, folks are caught up in the moment and are going to grossly overpay. You can still buy a Hank Aaron certified autograph for a few hundred dollars.
    Honestly, I thought after a couple months of this madness that it would stabilize itself after reaching a peak. However at this point, the prices being asked, prices being paid, and the values are still like a runaway freight train.

Honestly, I thought after a couple months of this madness that it would stabilize itself after reaching a peak. However at this point, the prices being asked, prices being paid, and the values are still like a runaway freight train.
    I'm not surprised. I've seen this happen with fresh stars a lot over the past 40 years. It might take 10 years for prices to normalize, even if he continues to rake like he is now.
    Let the kids play.

If you type in 2017 Topps Now Judge 1/1 on ebay, there is one auction with a buy it now at $4,999 and the other a modest $29,000.
    That's just insane. But, the #1 rule of card collecting for a collector is that a card is worth whatever you're willing to pay for it.

I haven't collected for a long time, so I don't know what the hobby has been like for the past 20ish years (though I haven't seen a card shop in eons). But the last I remember a stink like this over a card was the '89 Upper Deck Griffey Jr rookie.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Problem with that is it's not a certified autograph, so if you're trying to use it as an investment it probably won't work. However, If you just want it for your own enjoyment that's the way to go. I have some autographed cards that I got signed and I like those better than the certified ones...they have more sentimental value.
    Couldn't you always get it certified / authenticated?

I ask because in 1998, Jeter signed a card for me - I think it was a score Prospects card, I would have to look. I never thought I'd get lucky enough to have that happen but he signed it in black sharpie. After that I started bring pens and balls to games.

Anyway, I have thought about having it certified in some way, but I have been out of the hobby for 30 years now.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Thread Information