+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NYYF Legend

Re: Judge rookie card

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Couldn't you always get it certified / authenticated?

I ask because in 1998, Jeter signed a card for me - I think it was a score Prospects card, I would have to look. I never thought I'd get lucky enough to have that happen but he signed it in black sharpie. After that I started bring pens and balls to games.

Anyway, I have thought about having it certified in some way, but I have been out of the hobby for 30 years now.
    If you ever planned on selling it, then getting it certified by a reputable company would be a must. However, cards that are signed in person are generally less valuable than the certified ones issued by the card companies. Part of the reason being that the card companies generally have a certain number of cards autographed and thus since they are more limited, the value goes up. Another reason a Jeter in person card can be less, and other notable athletes like Griffey for example, is that the market is absolutely flooded with his autograph and you can virtually buy, thanks to Steiner, almost any item autographed by him. Where someone like Babe Ruth, there are so many less items, that virtually any autograph by him that is certified is worth much more.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    If you ever planned on selling it, then getting it certified by a reputable company would be a must. However, cards that are signed in person are generally less valuable than the certified ones issued by the card companies. Part of the reason being that the card companies generally have a certain number of cards autographed and thus since they are more limited, the value goes up. Another reason a Jeter in person card can be less, and other notable athletes like Griffey for example, is that the market is absolutely flooded with his autograph and you can virtually buy, thanks to Steiner, almost any item autographed by him. Where someone like Babe Ruth, there are so many less items, that virtually any autograph by him that is certified is worth much more.
    Agree fully. I have a bunch of autographs that I got in person, and I consider them to be more or less worthless because I'm the only one who knows for sure that they're real. Even experts can be fooled, which I would think scares off potential buyers. The certified signature cards from the card companies are about as sure as it gets.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Thanks guys. Its not something I would sell for myself, unless I came upon some really hard times. But I would be giving / leaving it to one of my kids someday. It's priceless to me because I remember going through the process of getting it. But if they opted to sell it I would want it to be as easy as possible. "My dad said..." doesn't go very far.

This subject got me interested in it again, and I looked up the PSA website and they'll authenticate a Jeter autograph for $50 and a Judge for $20.

I would think it might still be worth doing as having it authenticated further down the line may be more expensive.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Unless he goes on to hit 60 HR this season and proceeds to hit 50+ every year the rest of his career, these prices for his cards will come back down to earth. The craze will settle (think Beanie Babies).

One of the most prized cards in my collection when I was a kid was my 1984 Donruss Joe Carter rookie, which was valued at nearly $100 at one point in time. Now it can be had for less than $20, though I've still got in a screw case somewhere in box in the basement.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    Unless he goes on to hit 60 HR this season and proceeds to hit 50+ every year the rest of his career, these prices for his cards will come back down to earth. The craze will settle (think Beanie Babies).

One of the most prized cards in my collection when I was a kid was my 1984 Donruss Joe Carter rookie, which was valued at nearly $100 at one point in time. Now it can be had for less than $20, though I've still got in a screw case somewhere in box in the basement.
    The high book in Beckett for that card is $8.
    With all the early success that Judge has had and due to the fact that he is becoming the face of MLB, I do not see the prices coming down anytime soon unless he turns into a one season wonder. It is hard to believe that before the start of the season, Steiner was selling an autograph bat of Judge in the $100-150 range.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    The high book in Beckett for that card is $8.
    With all the early success that Judge has had and due to the fact that he is becoming the face of MLB, I do not see the prices coming down anytime soon unless he turns into a one season wonder. It is hard to believe that before the start of the season, Steiner was selling an autograph bat of Judge in the $100-150 range.
    I don't see how the prices don't come down. It is projected that one of his game-used jerseys will go for $100 grand: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidse.../#399621a8261c

By contrast, a game-used 1952 Mantle jersey went for $227K in 2015: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/news...-to-41m-total/

That is obviously disproportionate.

Obviously speculation is driving the prices of Judge's items at this point. There is no such speculation with Mantle's items. Of course, the one caveat is if Judge's first half of a season is no fluke and he puts up these kinds of numbers for a career.

Well they will Come down but not much. Think Trout, Harper, Bryant. Get some Gleyber, Bellinger, and Seager cards while you can.
    Lets Go Yankees

Thread Information