+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF MVP

'Hawk' Harrelson retiring from booth after '18

The White Sox announced on Wednesday that Ken "Hawk" Harrelson, the club's iconic television play-by-play announcer on CSN Chicago and WGN-TV, will return for his 34th and final season in the broadcast booth in 2018.

A five-time Emmy Award winner, three-time Ford C. Frick Award nominee and two-time Illinois Sportscaster of the Year, Harrelson will work a 20-game schedule during the 2018 season, including Sunday home games and other select contests.

"Hawk has left a lasting imprint on the game of baseball across what will be an amazing career in the game," White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said. "His passion for the White Sox -- and for the game of baseball -- is apparent in every telecast he does. There have been only a handful of broadcasters who literally have re-written the dictionary of baseball terminology and nicknames.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...425557004.html

I see fields of green, Veeck's pinwheel lights
    Cubs lose by day, Sox win at night
    And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

NYYF Legend

Re: 'Hawk' Harrelson retiring from booth after '18

He gone.

(Well not yet but it seemed appropriate)
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Best. News. Ever.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Good guys finally win.
    2017 - Better than expected!

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Yeah, Hawky can go pound sand. Horrible, horrible "broadcaster". Baseball will forever be better with him not in it. Good riddance!

NYYF Legend

He's going for the season and a half farewell tour?

My goodness.
    No Yankees to the All Star Game, please. Let them all get 4 days of rest so they can play more real games.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    He's going for the season and a half farewell tour?

My goodness.
    Now if only Sterling...

NYYF Legend

Grab some bench

NYYF Legend

He gone....
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

well...The Pale Hose will always be my 2nd favorite team....I want the best for their die-hard REAL Chicago baseball fans.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    well...The Pale Hose will always be my 2nd favorite team....I want the best for their die-hard REAL Chicago baseball fans.
    The Pale Hose might be my favorite team nickname.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Harrelson is by far the worst announcer I've ever heard in all of sports.

And trust me, I couldn't care less about the Chicago White Sox one way or the other so it's not about them as a team. In fact, the team I hate most in the world, the Red Sox, has set a very high bar with their TV and radio broadcasts. I am forced to watch NESN when the Yankees lay Boston and I can actually enjoy the games. Maybe that's because the Red Sox announcers don't say a bunch of moronic horsesh!t and call their team the "good guys."
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I endorse this statement.

And trust me, I couldn't care less about the Chicago White Sox one way or the other so it's not about them as a team. In fact, the team I hate most in the world, the Red Sox, has set a very high bar with their TV and radio broadcasts. I am forced to watch NESN when the Yankees lay Boston and I can actually enjoy the games. Maybe that's because the Red Sox announcers don't say a bunch of moronic horsesh!t and call their team the "good guys."
    Took the words right out of my mouth. On both Hawk and NESN.

Connecticut Transplant TheDozen's Avatar

www.heavethehawk.com is still in business!
    Beat the Mets, beat the Mets
    Step right up and beat the Mets

NYYF Legend

I agree he's awful, but just because I like "bad announcer nostalgia," some other names to throw into the Hawk hopper:

Bob Gamere as Yankee announcer, 1970
    Jean Potvin as Islanders color man, 1981-ish
    Skip Caray on Braves broadcasts (another "WE WIN" guy but without his dad's drunken charm)
    Gil Santos on Celtics TV, 1980s ("WE WIN" redux)
    Sterling and Waldman
    Sterling and Steiner
    John Gordon, Yankees radio early 1980s ("welcome fans out there in radio-land to another EXCITING game of YANKEE BASEBALL!!!" Yeah he would really say that)
    Dave Niehaus, Mariners for many years, revered out there for reasons I don't get. Mariners, leading 10-1 in the 6th, hit a homer and he'd try to make the Bobby Thomson homer sound like no big deal next to it. Relentless ear-splitting screeching on Mariners homers regardless of score.
    Howie Rose with the Islanders (he is good with the Mets IMO). Didn't want to be there.
    Fred Williamson, Monday Night Football, a few weeks in the 1970s. Wow he was bad. "That was a good play" was his sharpest comment.
    Jesse Ventura on the XFL. On wrestling shows I have nothing but good things to say about his work.

The Niehaus "grand salami" thing was impossibly stupid.

Sterling hated Steiner. Steiner probably hated Stering, too, but Sterling made no effort to hide it. He was constantly stepping on Steiner or upstaging him in one way or another. Also, their voices were too similar - two smooth, radio-friendly baritones who really needed a Rizzuto or Michael Kay.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    The Niehaus "grand salami" thing was impossibly stupid.
    Yes. Absolutely yes.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Sterling hated Steiner. Steiner probably hated Stering, too, but Sterling made no effort to hide it. He was constantly stepping on Steiner or upstaging him in one way or another. Also, their voices were too similar - two smooth, radio-friendly baritones who really needed a Rizzuto or Michael Kay.
    are we thinking of the same guy? I'm no fan of Sterling as a play by play guy by any means at all. But he's got a terrific radio voice. He just sucks at what he says, sees, thinks about, his humor, his shtick etc. Steiner sounded bombed during the broadcasts. He sounded like your drunk uncle at Thanksgiving babbling on like an idiot.

Anyway, I viewed them as night and day voice wise.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He was constantly stepping on Steiner or upstaging him in one way or another.
    His attempt to interject "THAAAAA YANKEES WIN!!!" into Steiner's Aaron Boone call was the most notorious example of this. In probably Steiner's greatest moment, he understood what was happening and joined Sterling in the "THAAA YANKEES WIN!!" call, thus stepping on Sterling's attempt to step on him.

Steiner's worst moment? In the Varitek-ARod brawl game at Fenway in 2004, the Yankees had an 8-4 lead at one point with Enrique Wilson batting with a man in scoring posiition, Steiner very confidently asserted that if Wilson got a hit, the game would be over. Sterling tried to pull him back from the ledge a few times with the standard (but accurate) "this is Fenway, no lead is safe" argument. Steiner INSISTED that a Wilson hit would effectively end the game. Wilson got the hit, 9-4 Yankees.

Final score: Red Sox 11, Yankees 10. Well done Steiner.

While on the subject of ChiSox announcers, it must be contagious to not be good. Last night I was driving home from band rehearsals, and was listening to the game on SiriusXM.

Since they only carry the home feed on radio-only, I heard the Chicago broadcasters.

They were the flattest, humorless, most monotone guys I have ever heard. If I wasn't angry at how unfunny and disinterested they sounded, I would have dozed off from boredom and my car would have flown off the highway, bursting into a flaming mass of molten metal!

NYYF Legend

I could not stand Charlie Steiner and I never understood why the Yankees put him into the radio booth. And speaking of John Gordon, while he was with the Yankees I think that his HR call was "ABC you later, that ball is gone" or something to that effect.

I got to know him very well when he played for the Tribe. I always felt he was heartbroken when traded by the Red Sox to Cleveland. Following year he broke his ankle sliding into 2nd.

He treated my wife and me like gold. On his last road trip in '69, we stayed in his swanky apartment which also was the complex where the Indians owner lived.

He must have really gotten sour toward the Indians as when they had their great teams in the mid to late 90's, he would really trash them any chance he could. Maybe he was such a White Sox homer that he bad-mouthed every team they played!?
    It ain't like football. You can't make up no trick plays. ~Yogi Berra
    NYYFans.com - Simply the best sports forum on the 'net. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RaveOnEd View Post
    While on the subject of ChiSox announcers, it must be contagious to not be good. Last night I was driving home from band rehearsals, and was listening to the game on SiriusXM.

Since they only carry the home feed on radio-only, I heard the Chicago broadcasters.

They were the flattest, humorless, most monotone guys I have ever heard. If I wasn't angry at how unfunny and disinterested they sounded, I would have dozed off from boredom and my car would have flown off the highway, bursting into a flaming mass of molten metal!
    Although he is very much a homer, Tom Hamilton of the Indians is one of, if not the very best, current radio announcers.
    It ain't like football. You can't make up no trick plays. ~Yogi Berra
    NYYFans.com - Simply the best sports forum on the 'net. Thank you!

Thread Information