+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 176
  1. #1

    2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    It's never to early to identify possible players who will need protection this offseason:

    Per RAB - http://riveraveblues.com/2017/01/201...s-year-148611/

    Catchers: None
    Infielders: Abi Avelino, Thairo Estrada, Gleyber Torres, Tyler Wade
    Outfielders: Rashad Crawford, Dustin Fowler, Clint Frazier, Billy McKinney, Leonardo Molina, Tito Polo
    Pitchers: Albert Abreu, Domingo Acevedo, Ian Clarkin, Nestor Cortes, J.P. Feyereisen, Zack Littell, Jordan Montgomery, Eric Swanson, Stephen Tarpley

    For a full list of players - pinstriped prospects has it. Who else would you like to add?

    http://pinstripedprospects.com/updat...e-agents-21546

  2. #2

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Montgomery is already on the roster, of course.

  3. #3
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Going to be a tough call on Clarkin. He seems to be better than decent, but can't stay healthy.


    Otherwise, Fowler, Frazier, Torres, Wade and Abreu and Ace are almost givens to be protected. I believe they will get Feyereisen on the 40 man alos.


    But I see the need for a few trades real soon, as we are otherwise going to be losing folks for nothing in the Rule 5 and Minor League FA.

  4. #4

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Might as well fit Leo for a Padres uniform now

  5. #5

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Might as well fit Leo for a Padres uniform now
    Who is Leo?

    Also, doesn't a team get to protect additional players for every player that gets chosen by another team?

  6. #6

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Who is Leo?

    Also, doesn't a team get to protect additional players for every player that gets chosen by another team?
    Leonardo Molina...... And I dont believe so, the 40 man is the 40 man no exceptions.

  7. #7
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve View Post
    Who is Leo?

    Also, doesn't a team get to protect additional players for every player that gets chosen by another team?

    Nope. The 40 man roster is set about 2 weeks before the winter meetings. The Rule 5 draft is the last day of the winter meetings. Anyone not on the 40 man is fodder to be chosen by any organization who has room on their "previously set" 40 man roster. The player chosen needs to stay on the 25 man MLB roster the entire season, or be offered back to the team he was chosen from for 1/2 the selection price.


    Nothing in the rules about protecting any other folks after losing someone.

  8. #8

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Nope. The 40 man roster is set about 2 weeks before the winter meetings. The Rule 5 draft is the last day of the winter meetings. Anyone not on the 40 man is fodder to be chosen by any organization who has room on their "previously set" 40 man roster. The player chosen needs to stay on the 25 man MLB roster the entire season, or be offered back to the team he was chosen from for 1/2 the selection price.


    Nothing in the rules about protecting any other folks after losing someone.
    Teams try to stash lower level minor leaguers on the AAA roster for the draft (which is what the Yankees did with Torrens). With the hope that no team would be willing to take them in the MLB portion of the draft.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

  9. #9
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    Teams try to stash lower level minor leaguers on the AAA roster for the draft (which is what the Yankees did with Torrens). With the hope that no team would be willing to take them in the MLB portion of the draft.
    That Torrens pick was completely weird. Padres are wasting a full year of development for a 21 year old who already lost a season due to shoulder surgery a couple of years ago, and is still relatively inexperienced as a Catcher. Yes, he will probably be sent to AA next season, to further develop. Padres don't care that they will burn an option.


    Maybe that's why they are as successful as they have been lately.


    Personally, the whole intent of the Rule 5 was not to help players like Torrens get out of an organization they seem stuck in. It was for folks at upper levels of the Minors, who are blocked in the Majors by solid players. What the Padres are doing to Torrens, in spite of the fact that he's around big league coaching all year, is ruin a key development season. Torrens may never develop because of this.

  10. #10
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Going to be a tough call on Clarkin. He seems to be better than decent, but can't stay healthy.


    Otherwise, Fowler, Frazier, Torres, Wade and Abreu and Ace are almost givens to be protected. I believe they will get Feyereisen on the 40 man alos.


    But I see the need for a few trades real soon, as we are otherwise going to be losing folks for nothing in the Rule 5 and Minor League FA.
    I agree. Good thing we have some time before a Clarkin decision.

  11. #11

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    That Torrens pick was completely weird. Padres are wasting a full year of development for a 21 year old who already lost a season due to shoulder surgery a couple of years ago, and is still relatively inexperienced as a Catcher. Yes, he will probably be sent to AA next season, to further develop. Padres don't care that they will burn an option.


    Maybe that's why they are as successful as they have been lately.


    Personally, the whole intent of the Rule 5 was not to help players like Torrens get out of an organization they seem stuck in. It was for folks at upper levels of the Minors, who are blocked in the Majors by solid players. What the Padres are doing to Torrens, in spite of the fact that he's around big league coaching all year, is ruin a key development season. Torrens may never develop because of this.
    They are essentially admitting they don't care about fielding a competitive team, by rostering a player clearly not MLB ready, hurting his development (perhaps irreparably) in the process, and bastardizing the Rule V process to steal a prospect. What a bush league organization.

  12. #12

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    They are essentially admitting they don't care about fielding a competitive team, by rostering a player clearly not MLB ready, hurting his development (perhaps irreparably) in the process, and bastardizing the Rule V process to steal a prospect. What a bush league organization.
    Run by Preller. So kind of expected.

  13. #13

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    They are essentially admitting they don't care about fielding a competitive team, by rostering a player clearly not MLB ready, hurting his development (perhaps irreparably) in the process, and bastardizing the Rule V process to steal a prospect. What a bush league organization.
    It is a bush league move but if you're the Padres and you want to build up your prospect depth then why not?

    It's going to screw you over with arbitration cases and option years but once you have the prospect then it won't matter as much to you.

  14. #14
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    The no-doubters are obvious.

    The near no-doubters.......Clarkin, Wade

    The AAA no-doubters......Avelino, Molina, Crawford.

    The season is just going to have to play out to see where or what we do with them.

  15. #15

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    So with Clarkin and Polo gone, I have six guys left who haven't yet been added to the 40 man but will need to be:

    Gleyber Torres
    Domingo Acevedo
    Albert Abreu
    Zack Littell
    Billy McKinney
    Thairo Estrada

    I don't think the 40 man crunch will be as bad as people are anticipating, I will post a list of where I think it stands after roster moves tomorrow.

  16. #16

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    So with Clarkin and Polo gone, I have six guys left who haven't yet been added to the 40 man but will need to be:

    Gleyber Torres
    Domingo Acevedo
    Albert Abreu
    Zack Littell
    Billy McKinney
    Thairo Estrada

    I don't think the 40 man crunch will be as bad as people are anticipating, I will post a list of where I think it stands after roster moves tomorrow.
    Torres doesnt have to be added until next year.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    Torres doesnt have to be added until next year.
    And I think McKinney is either trade bait in the next couple of weeks, or someone we will lose in the Rule 5.

  18. #18
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    And I think McKinney is either trade bait in the next couple of weeks, or someone we will lose in the Rule 5.
    After seeing what the Padres did last year, you never know... but I wonder if a team would keep McKinney on a roster for all of '18. He's interesting, and is killing it right now, but that's a big commitment.

  19. #19

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    Torres doesnt have to be added until next year.
    Is that definitely true? RAB was reporting he needed to be added this year, he was an international signing in 2013.

  20. #20

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    OK, I'm updating this after yesterday's trade/player moves, this is my guess as to NY's offseason 40 man list as of now:

    ==================================================

    Protected now:

    Everyone on the current 25 man roster, plus Bird/Hicks/Pineda/Fowler/Austin on the DL makes 30, plus the rest of the current 40 man (13):

    Miguel Andujar
    Dietrich Enns
    Giovanny Gallegos
    Domingo German
    Ben Heller
    Ronald Herrera
    Kyle Higashioka
    Jonathan Holder
    Jorge Mateo
    Bryan Mitchell
    Yefry Ramirez
    Chasen Shreve
    Tyler Wade

    Need to be added or exposed this winter (I don't think I'm missing anyone crucial, but I certainly could be):

    Domingo Acevedo
    Albert Abreu
    Zack Littell
    Billy McKinney
    Thairo Estrada

    Stephen Tarpley
    Jake Cave
    Nick Rumbelow
    JP Feyereisen

    Close to ready for the bigs but don't need to be protected yet:

    Chance Adams

    ===========================

    So if they are at 43 currently (with the 60 day DL guys) and I assume they need to add five guys (for Acevedo through Estrada above), let's see if I can clear eight spots:

    Sabathia
    Pineda
    T. Frazier
    Holliday
    Torreyes

    Austin or Cooper
    Shreve
    Gallegos
    Ramirez

    And if Tanaka opts out, that clears another spot, but I think as of now, bringing up Chance this year means we expose someone like Yefry Ramirez (or Cessa maybe).

  21. #21
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    That's pretty good work. I don't think McKinney gets protected, due to the logjam in the OF ahead of him (Frazier, Fowler, Judge and Hicks, along with Gardner and Ellsbury (for now).


    Cave, McKinney and Feyereisen are almost sure bets to be picked. Polo and Clarkin probably would have also been picked (Clarkin by the Padres, for sure - they love to waste a development season for a guys who really needs it due to time lost for injuries).

  22. #22

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Is that definitely true? RAB was reporting he needed to be added this year, he was an international signing in 2013.
    Yes, 2012 IFA players are eligible this year. 2013 players will be eligible next year.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

  23. #23

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    That's pretty good work. I don't think McKinney gets protected, due to the logjam in the OF ahead of him (Frazier, Fowler, Judge and Hicks, along with Gardner and Ellsbury (for now).
    I think at least one of Gardner or Ellsbury will be gone by Opening Day, and you can't count on Fowler at this point unfortunately. I'd be stunned if McKinney wasn't protected, he has a 1.053 OPS in AAA since being promoted and is still just 22 (23 next month).

  24. #24
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Don't forget Pinder. Unless he is a 6 year minor league FA.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  25. #25
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    And I think McKinney is either trade bait in the next couple of weeks, or someone we will lose in the Rule 5.
    I think he's the first one protected.

    Quite frankly, after thinking about it......he kinda comps to Rutherford.

    Makes me think that Cash gave in to the Sox for a bunch of reasons, McKinney's performance being one of them.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts