+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Agree on your take on Higgy.

Right now, the next Catcher in line after Higgy is either whatever is going on in AAA today, or Saez from AA. Sands has started hitting the past 40 games or so, but I do not know if his receiving issues are resolved yet. Probably will take quite a bit of time, so he's likely not an option for NY for another couple of seasons.
    Next up would be Eddie Rodriquez. Not much with the bat, some pop but can handle a staff well. AAA pitchers seem to love him.

Sands glove still in developing

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Next up would be Eddie Rodriquez. Not much with the bat, some pop but can handle a staff well. AAA pitchers seem to love him.

Sands glove still in developing
    I couldn't remember the veteran in Scranton who was Catching. Eddy it is.

Sands is someone I have not seen much of this year. But I do recall reading that he was having "passed-ball" problems early in the season. Figured his Catching skills need a lot of work. His bat has come around though. Not much power, but he is slowly getting the triple-slash up.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    One trend I have noticed on this board is a pattern of calling for the protected class of 2016 to be booted off after only 4 months. This included Gallegos, German, Enns (prior to being traded), Ramirez.
    There goes Ramirez:

Yankees PR Dept.‏Verified account @YankeesPR 3m3 minutes ago

Today, the @Yankees have traded RHP Yefry Ramírez to Baltimore in exchange for international signing bonus pool money.

OK, so here is my best guess as to where we stand with 40 man protection after the season, after today's trades and roster moves.

==================================================

Protected now:

Everyone on the current 25 man roster, plus Bird/Hicks/Pineda/Austin/Castro on the DL makes 30, plus the rest of the current 40 man (12):

Miguel Andujar
    Luis Cessa
    Garrett Cooper
    Giovanny Gallegos
    Domingo German
    Ben Heller
    Ronald Herrera
    Kyle Higashioka
    Jonathan Holder
    Bryan Mitchell
    Chasen Shreve
    Tyler Wade

Need to be added or exposed this winter (this list could be longer, but these are the top ten as I see it currently):

Gleyber Torres
    Domingo Acevedo
    Albert Abreu
    Billy McKinney
    Thairo Estrada
    Jake Cave

Stephen Tarpley
    Nick Rumbelow
    Cito Culver (still only 24, still a good defensive SS who can play 1B too, and a .743 OPS with 10 HRs in AAA)
    JP Feyereisen

Close to ready for the bigs but don't need to be protected yet:

Chance Adams

===========================

So if they are at 42 currently (with the 60 day DL guys) and I assume they need to add six guys (for Torres through Cave above), let's see if I can clear eight spots:

Sabathia
    Pineda
    Garcia
    T. Frazier
    Holliday
    Austin or Cooper
    Shreve
    Mitchell (out of options, probably will be traded before this)

Gallegos
    Cessa
    Smith

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    OK, so here is my best guess as to where we stand with 40 man protection after the season, after today's trades and roster moves.

Protected now:

Everyone on the current 25 man roster, plus Bird/Hicks/Pineda/Austin/Castro on the DL makes 30, plus the rest of the current 40 man (12):

Miguel Andujar
    Luis Cessa
    Garrett Cooper
    Giovanny Gallegos
    Domingo German
    Ben Heller
    Ronald Herrera
    Kyle Higashioka
    Jonathan Holder
    Bryan Mitchell
    Chasen Shreve
    Tyler Wade

Need to be added or exposed this winter (this list could be longer, but these are the top ten as I see it currently):

Gleyber Torres
    Domingo Acevedo
    Albert Abreu
    Billy McKinney
    Thairo Estrada
    Jake Cave

Stephen Tarpley
    Nick Rumbelow
    Cito Culver (still only 24, still a good defensive SS who can play 1B too, and a .743 OPS with 10 HRs in AAA)
    JP Feyereisen

Chance Adams

So if they are at 42 currently (with the 60 day DL guys) and I assume they need to add six guys (for Torres through Cave above), let's see if I can clear eight spots:

Sabathia
    Pineda
    Garcia
    T. Frazier
    Holliday
    Austin or Cooper
    Shreve

Gallegos
    Cessa
    Smith
    When did Gleyber and Abreu debut again? 2013 or 2014?
    If 2014, do they need to be protected this year?
    Last edited by troublemaker85; 08-01-17 at 04:44 PM.

NYYF Legend

They're going to want to protect Tarpley too, most likely, but also fill out the Sabathia/Garcia rotation spots, so they need to free up 2 more 40 man spots on top of what's already mentioned. Trades or both Cessa and Gallegos exposed to waivers too (not a huge loss).

NYYF Legend

Is Gallegos at the because he's a cut?

He wasn't special in his brief time time with the Yankees, but his numbers last year were great, and have gotten even better this season to the point where they're RIDICULOUS.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Sure, all of those things are on the fringe and a lot can change in a few months, I'm just trying to get a sense of where we actually stand. People always like to say we're going to have a 40 man crunch without delving into what that actually means, so that's what I tried to do.

Not sure how Caleb Smith fits in, he wasn't really regarded as a prospect until pretty recently, but he looks like he could be a solid multi-inning middle reliever lefty. I have him protected currently.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Is Gallegos at the because he's a cut?

He wasn't special in his brief time time with the Yankees, but his numbers last year were great, and have gotten even better this season to the point where they're RIDICULOUS.
    Fans keep focusing on his brief call up saying he will get cut nut I agree with you. He was protected for a reason and has been amazing at AAA. I don't see Cashman giving up on him so easily. Same with Smith. Neither of theses kids will pass through waivers.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Sure, all of those things are on the fringe and a lot can change in a few months, I'm just trying to get a sense of where we actually stand. People always like to say we're going to have a 40 man crunch without delving into what that actually means, so that's what I tried to do.

Not sure how Caleb Smith fits in, he wasn't really regarded as a prospect until pretty recently, but he looks like he could be a solid multi-inning middle reliever lefty. I have him protected currently.
    Wow. I'm glad someone else see promise in Smith.

NYYF Legend

Protected now:

Miguel Andujar
    Luis Cessa
    Garrett Cooper
    Giovanny Gallegos
    Domingo German
    Ben Heller
    Ronald Herrera
    Kyle Higashioka
    Jonathan Holder
    Bryan Mitchell
    Chasen Shreve
    Tyler Wade

Gleyber Torres
    Domingo Acevedo
    Albert Abreu
    Billy McKinney
    Thairo Estrada
    Jake Cave

Stephen Tarpley
    Nick Rumbelow
    JP Feyereisen

Chance Adams

Sabathia
    Pineda
    Garcia
    T. Frazier
    Holliday
    Austin or Cooper
    Shreve

Gallegos
    Cessa
    Smith
    Tanaka may opt out.

In addition, i wonder if the Yankees seriously try to trade Robertson this off-season, to help getting under th $197 million cap.

I think they'll be pretty easily under with or without Robertson, they could trade Betances and get more back (one extra year of control and cheaper).

NYYF Legend

I think they'll be pretty easily under with or without Robertson, they could trade Betances and get more back (one extra year of control and cheaper).
    Very true. That's another possibility.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by troublemaker85 View Post
    When did Gleyber and Abreu debut again? 2013 or 2014?
    If 2014, do they need to be protected this year?
    Gleyber and Abreu were both signed during international free agency in July (Gleyber) and August (Abreu) of 2013. They didn't debut until 2014 because they weren't allowed to (it's a rule). The "clock" for Rule 5 eligibility starts when a player is signed (as long as that signing took place before September) and not when they start playing for the team that signed them. So they're both eligible for the Rule 5 this year.

To assist with planning the rule V eligiblity - a good reference with existing contract obligations is baseball reference

https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...ontracts.shtml

For 2018 - assuming no one opts out (Tanaka):
    - 7 players under multi year contracts (Tanaka, Ellsbury, Chapman, Castro, Headley, Gardner, Robertson)
    - 8 players eligible for arbitration (Gray, Gregorius, Betances, Hicks, Warren, Romine, Shreve, Kahnle)
    - 20 players pre-arbitration (Mitchell, Austin, Holder, Heller, Judge, Frazier, Torreyes, Sanchez, Severino, Bird, Green, Cessa, Gallegos, German, Herrera, Wade, Montgomery, Smith, Higashioka, Cooper)

Which leaves 5 spots for Rule V coverage (assuming you don't sign any FA's). Also doesn't include future trades or possible non-tenders.

Based on this - which players are at risk of being removed from the 40?

a) Shreve - he now will enter the arbitration years as a first timer... however he can easily be traded for a player not on the 40 and replaced as the low level loogy

b) Romine/Higashioka - one or both will be replaced... now that Romine is entering his arbitration years - expect a veteran defensive backstop to be signed - one that is bilingual to light a fire under Gary. with Higa's injured year - and advanced age - can see them moving on

c) a prominent relief pitcher - with escalating salaries in the offseason - does Robertson become attractive enough to replenish the farm system - think Wilson trade for Cessa/Green - acquiring 2 SP that is in AAA/AA and not on current 40 man roster; or do they trade either Warren - for low A flyers or Betances for cost controlled SP

d) Cooper could be non-tendered depending on how well Bird returns

e) access the relief pitching shuttle players - Mitchell, Gallegos, Smith, Holder, Heller, German, Herrera and determine who stays and who is best to cut bait.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by groundhoggator View Post
    To assist with planning the rule V eligiblity - a good reference with existing contract obligations is baseball reference

https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...ontracts.shtml

For 2018 - assuming no one opts out (Tanaka):
    - 7 players under multi year contracts (Tanaka, Ellsbury, Chapman, Castro, Headley, Gardner, Robertson)
    - 8 players eligible for arbitration (Gray, Gregorius, Betances, Hicks, Warren, Romine, Shreve, Kahnle)
    - 20 players pre-arbitration (Mitchell, Austin, Holder, Heller, Judge, Frazier, Torreyes, Sanchez, Severino, Bird, Green, Cessa, Gallegos, German, Herrera, Wade, Montgomery, Smith, Higashioka, Cooper)

Which leaves 5 spots for Rule V coverage (assuming you don't sign any FA's). Also doesn't include future trades or possible non-tenders.

Based on this - which players are at risk of being removed from the 40?

a) Shreve - he now will enter the arbitration years as a first timer... however he can easily be traded for a player not on the 40 and replaced as the low level loogy

b) Romine/Higashioka - one or both will be replaced... now that Romine is entering his arbitration years - expect a veteran defensive backstop to be signed - one that is bilingual to light a fire under Gary. with Higa's injured year - and advanced age - can see them moving on

c) a prominent relief pitcher - with escalating salaries in the offseason - does Robertson become attractive enough to replenish the farm system - think Wilson trade for Cessa/Green - acquiring 2 SP that is in AAA/AA and not on current 40 man roster; or do they trade either Warren - for low A flyers or Betances for cost controlled SP

d) Cooper could be non-tendered depending on how well Bird returns

e) access the relief pitching shuttle players - Mitchell, Gallegos, Smith, Holder, Heller, German, Herrera and determine who stays and who is best to cut bait.
    I really think Higgy will not be protected this time. He has had less than 100 ABs, and been hurt most of the year. At his age, he is a classic minor league FA, who the Yankees may try to bring back, but not on the 40 man.

I think Romine stays. His raise in Arb. won't be all that much.

NYYF Legend

I really think Higgy will not be protected this time. He has had less than 100 ABs, and been hurt most of the year. At his age, he is a classic minor league FA, who the Yankees may try to bring back, but not on the 40 man.

I agree about Higgy though he can elect free agency if he clears waivers. There is too much to protect to worry about this IMO.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

While I would rather retain Romine, I suspect that he could be traded. While he is not a power bat, he did show he could hit for a reasonable average during Sanchez' DL stint and his defense is well respected.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    While I would rather retain Romine, I suspect that he could be traded. While he is not a power bat, he did show he could hit for a reasonable average during Sanchez' DL stint and his defense is well respected.

The only negative with Romine is that he has really struggled as a hitter since he was a regular back at the beginning of the season. I thought his overall offense was better last year. His overall defense is OK, but he's not really throwing out runners much either.

The only negative with Romine is that he has really struggled as a hitter since he was a regular back at the beginning of the season. I thought his overall offense was better last year. His overall defense is OK, but he's not really throwing out runners much either.
    The only negative is that he's a farrrrr below average offensive player? And he's not providing stellar defense to make up for it. I'd not lose any sleep over losing him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    The only negative is that he's a farrrrr below average offensive player? And he's not providing stellar defense to make up for it. I'd not lose any sleep over losing him.

Not arguing the point. He is replaceable. The trick is to find someone who is better, who is willing to be a backup, who is at least league-average defensively, and won't cost as much 9Hall issue) as Romine will in arbitration.

It's not as easy as one would think.

Not arguing the point. He is replaceable. The trick is to find someone who is better, who is willing to be a backup, who is at least league-average defensively, and won't cost as much 9Hall issue) as Romine will in arbitration.

It's not as easy as one would think.
    I'll take a zero on offense if the defense is great rather than getting very little on either end. If Higgy's defense is as advertised (and he's healthy) for example, I'd take him over Romine instantly and any offense is gravy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I'll take a zero on offense if the defense is great rather than getting very little on either end. If Higgy's defense is as advertised (and he's healthy) for example, I'd take him over Romine instantly and any offense is gravy.

At this point, after what he has gone through, it may be time to question if Higgy will ever stay healthy enough to be someone who can be counted on.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    Gleyber and Abreu were both signed during international free agency in July (Gleyber) and August (Abreu) of 2013. They didn't debut until 2014 because they weren't allowed to (it's a rule). The "clock" for Rule 5 eligibility starts when a player is signed (as long as that signing took place before September) and not when they start playing for the team that signed them. So they're both eligible for the Rule 5 this year.
    Even if Gleyber wasn't there's no way he wouldn't be on the 40 man anyway. Guy is going to rake for the big league club next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JayMan92 View Post
    Even if Gleyber wasn't there's no way he wouldn't be on the 40 man anyway. Guy is going to rake for the big league club next year.
    That misses the point, the point is whether he needs to be protected in November or not (he does). If he didn't, someone else could be protected and Torres could be added when needed in 2018, like Fowler and Frazier and Wade and Montgomery were, for example.

Thread Information