+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

Bryan Hoch‏@BryanHoch 1m1 minute ago
    Yankees will not select anyone in the MLB phase of tomorrow’s Rule 5 Draft.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

I wonder if the Marlins are going to pick a Torrens or two in the Rule V

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Bryan Hoch‏@BryanHoch 1m1 minute ago
    Yankees will not select anyone in the MLB phase of tomorrow’s Rule 5 Draft.
    Thats kind of disappointing to say flat out no, i mean theres some talent out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    Thats kind of disappointing to say flat out no, i mean theres some talent out there.
    There is no one that would have any chance of sticking on NY's roster all year, so what's the point?

Could always be active in the AAA portion of the Rule 5 draft.

As someone who doesn't follow the minor league teams closely who (or how many) do you guys expect to be drafted by other teams tomorrow?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    As someone who doesn't follow the minor league teams closely who (or how many) do you guys expect to be drafted by other teams tomorrow?

There are smarter folks than I on this area of the board BUT I think at least two pitchers getting taken is possible, namely Nestor Cortes and Cole Coshow.

I think they could lose as many as five or six pitchers, and maybe a position player or two also. It’s not easy to stick, though, so hopefully we get most of them back eventually.

NYYF Legend

Ford is a gonner.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Released Outright

You have to have a roster spot open. Which the Yanks do not since they are trying to protect everybody they can.

This is actually a good thing as it means the Yankees think their players are better than anything they might be able to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    You have to have a roster spot open. Which the Yanks do not since they are trying to protect everybody they can.

This is actually a good thing as it means the Yankees think their players are better than anything they might be able to pick up.

Technically don't they have a spot open after moving Headley and Mitchell or am I off there?

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    There is no one that would have any chance of sticking on NY's roster all year, so what's the point?
    I've been a fan of Max Pentecost. I think he'd be an upgrade over Romine

I've been a fan of Max Pentecost. I think he'd be an upgrade over Romine
    He's had multiple shoulder surgeries and is having issues with his shoulder again, which is why he wasn't protected. I'll be very very surprised if NY doesn't upgrade from Romine this winter, but not this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    Technically don't they have a spot open after moving Headley and Mitchell or am I off there?
    Yeah but they plan to acquire 1-2 SP's and are actively attempting to acquire a 3B or utility guy. They don't have space for a rule 5 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFortune3 View Post
    Yeah but they plan to acquire 1-2 SP's and are actively attempting to acquire a 3B or utility guy. They don't have space for a rule 5 guy.

Nah I wasn't disagreeing with the general premise, just was concerned I had missed something regarding that open spot.

We had four guys taken last year, and all returned except Torrens. This year I think it will be double that if not more, IMO any of these arms not picked is a small victory:

Nester Cortes
    Anyelo Gomez
    Raynel Espinal
    Stephen Tarpley
    Jose Mesa Jr.
    JP Feyereisen

Others who might go who I care about less are Cale Coshow, Mike Ford, Abiatal Avelino, plus there are always guys taken who are totally off everyone's radar.

Honestly I will be surprised if any of these guys can stick somewhere for an entire season unless someone does what SD did with Torrens last year, but it's not easy carrying guys who are two years away all year, even for a tanking team. These are all good arms to have in the system, hopefully we can keep at least a couple with more coming back later presumably.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    We had four guys taken last year, and all returned except Torrens. This year I think it will be double that if not more, IMO any of these arms not picked is a small victory:

Nester Cortes
    Anyelo Gomez
    Raynel Espinal
    Stephen Tarpley
    Jose Mesa Jr.
    JP Feyereisen

Others who might go who I care about less are Cale Coshow, Mike Ford, Abiatal Avelino, plus there are always guys taken who are totally off everyone's radar.

Honestly I will be surprised if any of these guys can stick somewhere for an entire season unless someone does what SD did with Torrens last year, but it's not easy carrying guys who are two years away all year, even for a tanking team. These are all good arms to have in the system, hopefully we can keep at least a couple with more coming back later presumably.
    Why can't Ford stick around as a backup 1B on some team? He had a .875 OPS between AAA-AA last year.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Braves took Anyelo Gomez

Orioles took Cortes

Mariners take Mike Ford

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Why can't Ford stick around as a backup 1B on some team? He had a .875 OPS between AAA-AA last year.

There is very limited demand for a backup 1B, who is unproven at the major League level, and can't play any other position. I bet he does get picked, but is returned, unless the team that takes him has any injury that opens a spot for him.

Jose Mesa Jr to Baltimore

NYYF Triple Crown

Matt Kardos‏Verified account
    @mattkardos
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Orioles take Jose Mesa Jr.

NYYF Triple Crown

the Orioles they dont wanna trade with us but they want to steal our prospects

Richmond Virginians

Surprised Ford was drafted. He probably will be offered back

Thread Information