+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: 2017 Rule V Eligibility & Draft

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    That misses the point, the point is whether he needs to be protected in November or not (he does). If he didn't, someone else could be protected and Torres could be added when needed in 2018, like Fowler and Frazier and Wade and Montgomery were, for example.
    Okay, but with his impending arrival, a trade would have to be made to allow Torres on the 40 man. It would just create another problem. My point was that he'll be up in the majors by June (if not earlier) next year, so there should be a spot available for him anyway. The Yankees would lose some leverage in a potential deal too because teams know that they'd need a spot for Gleyber.

There's a reason why a 5th starter rental like Garcia got a rising prospect in Zach Littell as a return. It's because the Twins GM knew that the Yankees wanted to gain leverage in a Gray deal, and the relational value of which the Twins and Yanks agreed on was: Florial + Garcia + extra 40 man space + extra IFA cash > Fowler + Kap + Littell (assuming that the package was originally Florial + Mateo).
    Last edited by JayMan92; 08-09-17 at 05:11 PM.

It's easier to get guys on the 40 man once the season starts, you have the 60 day DL for one. There's absolutely no reason to protect guys you don't have to in November, and in fact bringing up Holder last September (because of that one ridiculously dominant outing in AAA with all the Ks) ended up costing them a spot in November, maybe that's why we lost Torrens (I know it was a calculated gamble, but I still would have protected him).

Quote Originally Posted by groundhoggator View Post
    It's never to early to identify possible players who will need protection this offseason:

Per RAB - http://riveraveblues.com/2017/01/201...s-year-148611/

Catchers: None

Infielders: Abi Avelino, Thairo Estrada, Gleyber Torres,

Outfielders: Rashad Crawford, Billy McKinney, Leonardo Molina

Pitchers: Albert Abreu, Domingo Acevedo, Nestor Cortes, J.P. Feyereisen, Eric Swanson, Stephen Tarpley

For a full list of players - pinstriped prospects has it. Who else would you like to add?

http://pinstripedprospects.com/updat...e-agents-21546
    As we get closer to Rule V - thought it would be good to refresh. Players under consideration from beginning of year listed above...

Likely Molina, Tarpley, Swanson, Crawford, Feyereisen and Cortes are not protected.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by groundhoggator View Post
    As we get closer to Rule V - thought it would be good to refresh. Players under consideration from beginning of year listed above...

Likely Molina, Tarpley, Swanson, Crawford, Feyereisen and Cortes are not protected.

Agree. At this point, I just don't see the room for these guys.

I think Feyereisen gets popped.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Agree. At this point, I just don't see the room for these guys.

I think Feyereisen gets popped.
    I think Tarpley does, too.

I still think Cashman clears a little more space this week, moving guys like Mitchell and Cessa.

NYYF Legend

A Pazos/Gamel type deal for Mitchell would make the rest of my 2017.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    A Pazos/Gamel type deal for Mitchell would make the rest of my 2017.
    Do the same with Cessa and one or 2 others.

Lot of movement presumably still to come in the next 48 hours, here is my guess, NY is at 37 now:

Added (8, the first 5 are musts, the next 3 are more borderline but will likely all get grabbed if left unprotected):

Gleyber Torres
    Domingo Acevedo
    Albert Abreu
    Billy McKinney
    Thairo Estrada

Nester Cortes
    Anyelo Gomez
    Stephen Tarpley

Traded/dropped (5):

Bryan Mitchell
    Chasen Shreve
    Caleb Smith
    Garrett Cooper
    Romine or Higashioka

I really wish that Cash would make another consolidation trade for a BUC. We cannot have Romine on the team next year. So, instead of losing guys to the Rule 5 for nothing, let's use them and upgrade the 25-man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    I really wish that Cash would make another consolidation trade for a BUC. We cannot have Romine on the team next year. So, instead of losing guys to the Rule 5 for nothing, let's use them and upgrade the 25-man roster.
    Could use some depth at catcher in the minors, as well.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    I wouldn't be furious, but I personally want the consolidation trades to be for high-end and/or high-value potential like they've been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Could use some depth at catcher in the minors, as well.
    Absolutely. We're pretty barren in the minors as well. What happened to Miguel Flames? Looks like he flamed out. Too early? Saul Torres has been struggling, too. Sands converted but I'm sure he's got a while to go before he's ready defensively.

NYYF Legend

Just DFA Higgy. There's an open 40 man spot.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Lot of movement presumably still to come in the next 48 hours, here is my guess, NY is at 37 now:

Added (8, the first 5 are musts, the next 3 are more borderline but will likely all get grabbed if left unprotected):

Gleyber Torres
    Domingo Acevedo
    Albert Abreu
    Billy McKinney
    Thairo Estrada

Nester Cortes
    Anyelo Gomez
    Stephen Tarpley

Traded/dropped (5):

Bryan Mitchell
    Chasen Shreve
    Caleb Smith
    Garrett Cooper
    Romine or Higashioka
    Would prefer to just drop both catchers and keep Cooper. The other guys can go.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    Would prefer to just drop both catchers and keep Cooper. The other guys can go.
    Cooper is 26 and wasn't even on the Brewers 40 man roster when we acquired him. We have plenty of other 1B options. Let him go.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Cooper is 26 and wasn't even on the Brewers 40 man roster when we acquired him. We have plenty of other 1B options. Let him go.
    With Austin around, there is no real need for Cooper.

NYYF Legend

I think we're going to lose at least both Mesa and Cortes, and Mesa will be for good.

I looked it up but couldn't find an answer - is there a limit to how many players you can lose? I have a memory that there is a cap, but I can't find anything that says it's right.

No one is going to take Mike Ford, and then I am going to laugh.

NYYF Legend

Why do you think no one takes Ford? I mean I understand enjoying seeing angry/whiny definitive statements proven wrong, but from a baseball standpoint? Despite positional issues, there's enough there to potentially take a shot on - for a non-competitive team especially - IMO.

I don't think any team will think he is ready to hit at the big league level for an entire season, and I think it's a lot easier to stash a pitcher. I think we get a ton of pitchers taken (hopefully at least some returned later), but I'll be surprised if any position players (unless there's someone I'm forgetting) will get taken.

I don't think any team will think he is ready to hit at the big league level for an entire season, and I think it's a lot easier to stash a pitcher. I think we get a ton of pitchers taken (hopefully at least some returned later), but I'll be surprised if any position players (unless there's someone I'm forgetting) will get taken.
    I think Avelino gets taken, but ultimately returned.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I think we're going to lose at least both Mesa and Cortes, and Mesa will be for good.

I looked it up but couldn't find an answer - is there a limit to how many players you can lose? I have a memory that there is a cap, but I can't find anything that says it's right.
    Does anyone know if there's an answer to this question?

EDIT: I actually just found it. No limit to the amount of players a single org can lose.

Baseball America has Coshow as their #3 available player in the Rule V.

3. Cale Coshow, RHP, Yankees

The Yankees have an enviable stable of hard-throwing righthanders, and Coshow has touched 100 mph with his fastball. He couples the pitch with a slider that will flash 55-grade on the 20-to-80 scouting scale. He's big, strong guy at 6-foot-5, 270 plankounds, but his delivery is pretty clean too.

Here's a few more than mention as well:

Nestor Cortes, LHP, Yankees
    Raynel Espinal, RHP, Yankees
    Anyelo Gomez, RHP, Yankees
    Jose Mesa Jr., RHP, Yankees
    Stephen Tarpley, LHP, Yankees

I understand this point of view. However, with the skills he showed in the high minors, there is absolutely no risk in a team taking him and bringing him to spring training and see if those skills transfers to the MLB level. With a small market non-competitive team, I see the odds as 50/50 he sticks. He is also competent with the glove and around the bag. I'll be surprised if he isn't taken.

Thread Information