• Bernie Williams

28 42.42%
  • Paul O'Neill

3 4.55%
  • OTHER (Specify)

1 1.52%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Who was the Yankees MVP during the 90's/2000's Dynasty run?

I suspect Jeter will win this poll, but IMO its Mariano Rivera.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

Re: Who was the Yankees MVP during the 90's/2000's Dynasty run?

It was Bernie Williams and it isn't really close.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Please Vote

You posted this before I had a chance to finish the poll.

Thanks
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Legend

No worries I voted.

But Williams was the very best player (or at worst 2nd best in 1 or 2 years) on the Yankees for every year from 1996 - 2002
    Baseball is life;

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed here over the years and Bernie is the correct answer
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

No worries I voted.

But Williams was the very best player (or at worst 2nd best in 1 or 2 years) on the Yankees for every year from 1996 - 2002
    I won't argue against Bernie, IMO he was the second best CFer in baseball during his prime, second only to Ken Griffey Jr.

IMO Bernie should be a HOFer, and would be, definitely, if there wasn't an anti Yankee bias.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    I won't argue against Bernie, IMO he was the second best CFer in baseball during his prime, second only to Ken Griffey Jr.

IMO Bernie should be a HOFer, and would be, definitely, if there wasn't an anti Yankee bias.
    Berine problem is he played at a hall of fame level for 8 years surrounded by years on eiether side that were just OK.

He belongs in the Hall of Very Good.

And I say this as someone who views Bernie as quite possibly my favorite Yankee of all time.
    Baseball is life;

Berine problem is he played at a hall of fame level for 8 years surrounded by years on eiether side that were just OK.

He belongs in the Hall of Very Good.

And I say this as someone who views Bernie as quite possibly my favorite Yankee of all time.
    If Bernie played for any other team with the exact same resume, as an integral part of a bonafide dynasty, he would skate into the HOF on the first ballot.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    If Bernie played for any other team with the exact same resume, as an integral part of a bonafide dynasty, he would skate into the HOF on the first ballot.
    I doubt it. But the counter argument in support of your statement is - Kirby Puckett.
    Baseball is life;

I doubt it. But the counter argument in support of your statement is - Kirby Puckett.
    If not the first ballot, he would get in for sure if he was a TOP 2 or 3 player on a legit dynasty and arguably the second best player in baseball at his position for the duration of his prime. There is no way in hell his induction would even be in doubt.

I would say mariano.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula

NYYF MVP

No worries I voted.

Bernie was my favorite player growing up (90's kid). With that said, I don't think this is nearly as clear-cut as you're implying. Pettitte and Jeter were basically even with Bernie in terms of value. As far as Bernie being best in every season in that timeframe:

1996: Bernie was the best hitter, but Pettitte and Mo were both fantastic. I might actually even say Mo here, considering the amount of innings he ended up pitching. I'd say Bernie #1 here, though.
    1997: Pettitte's best year and Tino was huge for us. I'd have Bernie #2.
    1998: Best Yankees team of my life and you can make a case for 6 different guys (Jeter, Bernie, O'Neill, Cone, Wells, Brosius even). At this point, we have to start accounting for Bernie's declining defense in CF. He should have been playing LF. I'll go Cone #1, Bernie #2 JUST ahead of Jeter.
    1999: Jeter is the clear #1 player, Bernie #2, but Mo was fantastic this season, as well.
    2000: Jorge had a monster year, Bernie was #2
    2001: Best pitching we had during the dynasty. I'd have Bernie #4 behind Moose, Pettitte, Clemens. Probably Mo's best season, too, but it's hard to have a RP ahead of every day players or starters.
    2002: Giambi is clear #1. I'd have Bernie #6 behind Giambi, Soriano, Jeter, Moose, and Wells.

All in all, he was consistently great and definitely our best batter but we had an embarrassment of riches and I think it's an overstatement to say that Bernie was always #1 or #2 when we had guys like Jeter/Pettitte/Mo/Jorge/Clemens/Moose/Cone/Wells around, with most in their primes. I still voted Bernie, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    Bernie was my favorite player growing up (90's kid). With that said, I don't think this is nearly as clear-cut as you're implying. Pettitte and Jeter were basically even with Bernie in terms of value. As far as Bernie being best in every season in that timeframe:

1996: Bernie was the best hitter, but Pettitte and Mo were both fantastic. I might actually even say Mo here, considering the amount of innings he ended up pitching. I'd say Bernie #1 here, though.
    1997: Pettitte's best year and Tino was huge for us. I'd have Bernie #2.
    1998: Best Yankees team of my life and you can make a case for 6 different guys (Jeter, Bernie, O'Neill, Cone, Wells, Brosius even). At this point, we have to start accounting for Bernie's declining defense in CF. He should have been playing LF. I'll go Cone #1, Bernie #2 JUST ahead of Jeter.
    1999: Jeter is the clear #1 player, Bernie #2, but Mo was fantastic this season, as well.
    2000: Jorge had a monster year, Bernie was #2
    2001: Best pitching we had during the dynasty. I'd have Bernie #4 behind Moose, Pettitte, Clemens. Probably Mo's best season, too, but it's hard to have a RP ahead of every day players or starters.
    2002: Giambi is clear #1. I'd have Bernie #6 behind Giambi, Soriano, Jeter, Moose, and Wells.

All in all, he was consistently great and definitely our best batter but we had an embarrassment of riches and I think it's an overstatement to say that Bernie was always #1 or #2 when we had guys like Jeter/Pettitte/Mo/Jorge/Clemens/Moose/Cone/Wells around, with most in their primes. I still voted Bernie, though.
    I wouldn't have said Bernie was the best every year, but he was clearly the best over the whole stretch.

But not a Hall of Famer.

NYYF Legend

A closer?

There are about 1450 innings in a season (give or take, extra innings, rain shortened games, etc). Rivera averaged 78 innings per year, or about 5.4% of the innings.

As great as he was, a guy who played just over 5% of the time can't be the MVP of the time period.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    A closer?

There are about 1450 innings in a season (give or take, extra innings, rain shortened games, etc). Rivera averaged 78 innings per year, or about 5.4% of the innings.

As great as he was, a guy who played just over 5% of the time can't be the MVP of the time period.
    I buy into someone once saying, the difference between the Yankees vs the indians and braves was Mariano Rivera. Take him away and who knows what happens in all the playoff games he saved. I'm buying it
    Baseball games are not won with a formula

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I wouldn't have said Bernie was the best every year, but he was clearly the best over the whole stretch.

But not a Hall of Famer.
    Ok I might have had a touch of hyperbole. But yeah your post sums it up
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I buy into someone once saying, the difference between the Yankees vs the indians and braves was Mariano Rivera. Take him away and who knows what happens in all the playoff games he saved. I'm buying it
    True. But without Bernie's consistent production the Yanks didn't make it that far.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

It's a tough call here. I had to vote Jeter personally but I understand most people's arguments for others. Mo and Bernie have strong cases to be the right answer.

Bernie and Derek 1A and 1B. I didn't realize how closer they were in WAR...with Pettitte right there with them.

The beauty of that era was the absence of one single great player who soared above the rest.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post

But not a Hall of Famer.
    By the numbers, you're right. Here are some points for the counter argument.

1. CFers are treated as just another OF position when looking at HOF. But defense as to be factored in. Except for a handful of all time greats at this position, CFers are not big number producers. Bernie's numbers compare very favorably with the next tier of HOF CFers.

2. Bernie was a great defensive CFer who was underappreciated by NY fans because his arm wasn't special. Throwing is the least important thing that a CFer does. Bernie had great range in the OF. Bill James once made the argument with his usual myriad of supporting data that Bernie was better in the field than Griffey Junior. High praise.

3. Puckett got special treatment because his shortened career was due to factors beyond his control. But Bernie was never the same player after injuring his knee in 2003. Double standard. And Puckett's numbers were inflated by the Metro Dome while Bernie was the same player on the road that he was at home.

4. Bernie's 1994-95 seasons are underappreciated because the strike shortened those seasons. For example, he was on his way to 44 Doubles and 120 Runs in 1994.

5. He was successful without steroids in the steroid era.

6. He was the cleanup hitter on the best team in baseball history.

I'm biased, but I would vote or Bernie for the Hall of Fame.

I voted Bernie as well. He was my favorite player in the era and I think the case has been made that he was the most important player on the team.

I don't care about HOF assessments because I think it always was very arbitrary based on personality, too offense oriented, and more recently corrupted by people making dubious judgments about players who were caught using PEDS.

As I say, I loved Bernie, but how do we know that he never used anything? We don't have reason to suspect it, as we do for several recently inducted into the HOF and others who will be, but we do not know. We do not know about any of these guys

voted jeter
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

I voted for Jeet because of his consistency and longevity but quite honestly, I could have been easily swayed. Bernie was great and Mo was indispensable in winning those championships. I was a huge O'Neill fan as well. Just a very special team.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I voted Bernie as well. He was my favorite player in the era and I think the case has been made that he was the most important player on the team.

I don't care about HOF assessments because I think it always was very arbitrary based on personality, too offense oriented, and more recently corrupted by people making dubious judgments about players who were caught using PEDS.

As I say, I loved Bernie, but how do we know that he never used anything? We don't have reason to suspect it, as we do for several recently inducted into the HOF and others who will be, but we do not know. We do not know about any of these guys
    You're right. We don't know who used and who didn't. My steroids comment was tongue in cheek. I just couldn't resist.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    A closer?

Plus... retired_doc voted for Mo. So, I rest my case.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

Thread Information