• Bernie Williams

29 43.28%
  • Paul O'Neill

3 4.48%
  • OTHER (Specify)

1 1.49%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Who was the Yankees MVP during the 90's/2000's Dynasty run?

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    uh you gotta look at both their primes. i looked at fangraphs war
    I agree if you're comparing them as players. I'm looking at the question of just the dynasty years.

NYYF Legend

I couldn't be any bigger Jeter "homer" but to me, the MVP was Mo as his ability to succeed nearly every time when it mattered most, was one of the main reasons for the Yankees success.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Statistically the dude was beyond dominant. He became the best there ever was.

My issue with selecting Mariano is that he had an impact on one inning each game. I am not knocking the guy, I would never. But he had a specific job, did it better than anyone else and for more years than most players do it even just on a satisfactory level. And I could comfortably say that most likely this team does not have the success it did without him. Plus, he was an outstanding human being and team mate.

But my problem is one inning. The team needed to score runs and keep the other team from scoring more in order for Mo to get into the game. His position relied on too many variables.

Again, this is not a knock. I loved Mo. I never left early in hopes of seeing him. The greatest of all time. But I can't choose him as the dynasty MVP.
    It's only one inning. But he sometimes pitched 2, and the 9th inning is harder than any other inning
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I agree if you're comparing them as players. I'm looking at the question of just the dynasty years.
    Didn't Bernie for the most part have a higher average, OBP, slugging percentage, etc every year then jeter from 1996-2000 except for 1999
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    It's only one inning. But he sometimes pitched 2, and the 9th inning is harder than any other inning
    there is data to suggest this isn't true.

But I'd rather not get into an argument that has me bashing Mariano.

NYYF Legend

Didn't Bernie for the most part have a higher average, OBP, slugging percentage, etc every year then jeter from 1996-2000 except for 1999
    pretty much. jeter's "excess value" comes from the fact that he played SS.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Definitely Bernie but I'm rather surprised that Paul O'Neill hasn't really been mentioned.
    IMO, he was the soul of those 1996-2001 teams.

His retirement marked the end of that dynasty. They didn't win again...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

My issue with selecting Mariano is that he had an impact on one inning each game. I am not knocking the guy, I would never. But he had a specific job, did it better than anyone else and for more years than most players do it even just on a satisfactory level. And I could comfortably say that most likely this team does not have the success it did without him. Plus, he was an outstanding human being and team mate.

But my problem is one inning. The team needed to score runs and keep the other team from scoring more in order for Mo to get into the game. His position relied on too many variables.

Again, this is not a knock. I loved Mo. I never left early in hopes of seeing him. The greatest of all time. But I can't choose him as the dynasty MVP.
    Makes sense..... my thought was that dynasties are made because of winning championships and without Mo there possibly was not one.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Legend

Internet high 5
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27 View Post
    Makes sense..... my thought was that dynasties are made because of winning championships and without Mo there possibly was not one.
    I hate to not agree with something good about Mo, but is the thinking that they wouldn't have had someone there to save games if they didn't have Mo? Not as good certainly, but someone still probably very, very good.

It's hard to see how any Closer can be MVP. By definition, he is the guy who closes the deal after everyone else has put the team in a position to win. Without the others putting the team in a position to win, a Closer has no value. He's not the one who puts the team in a position to win.

I think that Mo was most valuable as the set up man in '96 when the starting pitching behind Andy was really shaky. Things changed in the postseason with Cone back and Key pitching well, but during they never would have gotten to the postseason without MO's super human regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I couldn't be any bigger Jeter "homer" but to me, the MVP was Mo as his ability to succeed nearly every time when it mattered most, was one of the main reasons for the Yankees success.
    It's hard to pick one player because as a unit they were so strong, and who knows which player would have been the most difficult to replace? But Mo made the game different. Get to the 9th with a lead and don't worry about it, no matter how strong the opposing lineup is. When you look at his lifetime stats it's nothing short of phenomenal, and basically unbelievable. Gotta go with Mo.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

AP-46.
    From 1995-2003, he was the beast from LH.
    149 wins...78 losses.
    1,792 IP........among other things.
    He was kickin' it.

It's Bernie.

I can't put Mo ahead of Cone, Pettitte, Wells, or El Duque, forget giving him this fictional award.

No slight against Mo whatsoever. But it ain't him.
    If they ask who was our star, give them twenty five names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    It's Bernie.

I can't put Mo ahead of Cone, Pettitte, Wells, or El Duque, forget giving him this fictional award.

No slight against Mo whatsoever. But it ain't him.
    What fictional award?

NYYF Legend

What fictional award?

The Yankees MVP during the 90's/2000's Dynasty run Award.
    What else?
    There's a fat old lady outside the saloon, laying out the credit cards she plays Fortune.
    The deck is uneven right from the start, and all of their hands are playing apart

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post

The Yankees MVP during the 90's/2000's Dynasty run Award.
    What else?
    Ahhhhh I misread his post my fault my fault

Andy Pettite severely underrated here
    I know they say that when you dream you eventually wake up. Well, for some reason, Ive never had to wake up.

i guess i include the years 2001-2004. some people dont

NYYF Cy Young

Bernie was probably my favorite player at the time - he gets severely under appreciated with the whole Core 4 thing, being left out of that, it's sad.

NYYF Legend

Obviously it was Luis Sojo.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Bernie was probably my favorite player at the time - he gets severely under appreciated with the whole Core 4 thing, being left out of that, it's sad.
    I totally agree that Bernie gets the shaft with the core 4 crap. It makes me mad.
    If fascism comes to America, it will come under the guise of anti-fascism.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

I totally agree that Bernie gets the shaft with the core 4 crap. It makes me mad.
    Yup. It's so dumb

Derek Jeter, from the first clutch HR vs Baltimore, the ASG and WS MVP in 2000, to the flip, to the Mr. November moment and on and on. he has to be the MVP. the silver award is MO because he was only "human" once in the 9th in 01. Bernie/Paulie and Tino Martinez got them there, in the 90s they were just that strong of a overall team.

Your right hitman, Bernie got the shaft of the core-4 promos etc.

they were fun to watch, but to me..its Jeter....Thank you DJ for making me a Yankees fan!

NYYF Legend

Yeah don't even get me started on that insanity. He gets left out just because there isn't a cute way to rhyme "five".
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

The wrong guy is leading this poll.

Rivera was the most irreplaceable player on the roster. His ability to shut the door allowed the starting pitching to pitch to their limit, confident the backend of the BP would do its job. That confidence he infused into the SP likely had the opposite effect on the, well..opposition. I mean, I love me some Bernie. But the correct answer is the one true set it and forget it the Yankees have had the past 30 years.

#42.
    If money is a science, then it is a dark science...it has gone on developing...by its own rules. Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Thread Information